Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant George Ashwin Curnock, Rifle Brigade - help request

Gunner 87

Hello,

I wonder if one of our members can assist with a photograph of Lieutenant George Ashwin Curnock, 6th Battalion, Rifle Brigade, killed in action 14th August 1917 at Langemark while  attached to the 10th Battalion. George, born 5th July 1893 in Honeybourne, Worcestershire, was a former pupil at St Bartholomew’s Grammar School, Newbury, who named a house in his memory, and Pembroke College, Cambridge where George won an open scholarship in Classics.

George is commemorated on the Menin Gate, Woolton Hill Cross, Newbury Town Hall and St Bartholomew’s Grammar School Roll of Honour. 

Todate, a search online has not proved successful and enquires with St Barts, Newbury, confirm they don’t hold a photograph of the former pupil. Enquiries with Pembroke College are ongoing.

Any help would be gratefully received. Gunner 87.

@stiletto_33853

Hi Mat,

As discussed on pm, I do not have a picture in my files of George. I have also dropped the archivist at Pembroke a message to see if they have anything on record. Was hoping that as he was a member of Cambridge O.T.C. for 15 months they might have an annual picture of the OTC which contained George, we can but hope.

Andy 

11 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Hi Mat,

As discussed on pm, I do not have a picture in my files of George. I have also dropped the archivist at Pembroke a message to see if they have anything on record. Was hoping that as he was a member of Cambridge O.T.C. for 15 months they might have an annual picture of the OTC which contained George, we can but hope.

Andy 

Thanks Andy. Was a little surprised that St Barts, Newbury, didn’t so fingers crossed regarding Pembroke. I have also dropped the RGJ (Rifles) Museum at Winchester a line.