Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

British Proof Marks?

Mark Finneran

Mark Finneran

There are a lot of ordnance experts out there so could anyone identify the 2 stamps shown? The one above the serial number - Is the one British?

444946B1-89D2-4D1F-B022-16F1FAC365E8.png

The crossed swords stamp does look like the British Proof Mark format

SEE HERE

I can't clearly make out the letters/numbers on your picture to see if the date is identifiable from this table

Chris

Edit I am not familiar with the left hand symbol - -it looks like it might resemble the Austro-Hungarian 1891- Vienna 1st proof mark.

Edited by 4thGordons

Left symbol is mostly imperial german army fireproof.

What is it on? That might help narrow things down!

Mark Finneran

Well here is the oddity, it is a German 1918 T Gewehr!!!  
🤭

47 minutes ago, Mark Finneran said:

Well here is the oddity, it is a German 1918 T Gewehr!!!  
🤭

Maybe an oddity to you but in the German regulations it is the correct heradlic 'Adler' - eagle- stamp, with weapon number, for a Gew.98 after the barrel and breech chamber have been tested by shooting.   

Mark Finneran

Trajan there seems to be a misunderstanding. The left stamp is not in question. It is the stamp above the serial number?  This looks like a British (Birmingham?) stamp.  This is the one I am hoping an expert could identify.

It is odd because IF British, why would there be a stamp? It does not need to be deactivated, and I assume certainly not re-bored?

Mark

1 hour ago, Mark Finneran said:

Trajan there seems to be a misunderstanding. The left stamp is not in question. It is the stamp above the serial number?  This looks like a British (Birmingham?) stamp.  This is the one I am hoping an expert could identify.

It is odd because IF British, why would there be a stamp? It does not need to be deactivated, and I assume certainly not re-bored?

Mark

Mybe there is a misunderstanding. But the German regulations are for that eagle stamp to be applied on the barrel just before the serial number. This is what you have here, to my eyes, The British stamp has, I think, been identified correctly above. It would help, of course, if you provided more details, e.g., the year and serial number of the rifle as on the receiver! ;) 

3 hours ago, Mark Finneran said:

Mark

Would it have needed to be UK viewed if it were sold through the gun trade in the UK at some point?

Did the letters correspond to any of those on the table I attached so you could work out the year?

Chris

Mark Finneran

Trajan thanks again for the interest. In case my first post was not clear I am trying to identify the stamp ABOVE the serial number. The rifle has all matching numbers, ie the serial number shown and is a T Gewehr so no confusion on date - 1918.

Chris maybe it is some UK insp mark which seems credible but from googling London and Birmingham Proof Houses the symbol is not quite close enough to the Birmingham examples. Here is one poster from google, and there are key differences. Strange. Even if stamped upside down! Plus as it has been in ‘obsolete ‘ category why would it be inspected?

huge thanks

Mark

ACD88AE2-0857-4F26-86FD-3CFF00D1E09A.png

Edited by Mark Finneran

Apparently my first link doesn't work

This is what I posted: which does seem to be what you have. What are the letters on yours I cannot be sure form the image

If they are R C over 8 that would appear to be a 1990 dated mark for inspector 8?

189777062_birminghaminspections.jpg.b3085b65fb418a16a63f2b04d26b26f4.jpg

SOURCE Click

Edited by 4thGordons
Mark Finneran

Chris thanks I think you have nailed it.

great info.

Mark

10 hours ago, Mark Finneran said:

Trajan thanks again for the interest. In case my first post was not clear I am trying to identify the stamp ABOVE the serial number. The rifle has all matching numbers, ie the serial number shown and is a T Gewehr so no confusion on date - 1918.

Thanaks for clarification! ;) I had wondered if you were thinking the 'Birmingham' stamp and serial number went together.