Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for lost WW1 British War Medal

Mark Bowers

Hi 

My great uncle had been in 4 regiments in WW1.

Finished up as a gunner in Tank Corps, killed in action 27th Sept 1918 aged 26.

We are trying to find his British War medal.

Had this inscription

25330 PTE. G.E. INGLEBY. NOTTS. & DERBY. R.

This is the Sherwood Foresters the 1st regiment he was in. It is believed a family member sold the medal about 7 years ago.

We have his Victory medal and death plaque.

If anyone has this in their collection or sees it anywhere for sale please let me know. I want to purchase it and bring it back to his family.

We placed a post on British Medal Forum and also a newspaper.

George Edward Ingleby (sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk)

Search on for war veteran’s lost medal | Barnsley Chronicle

Any info concerning the whereabouts of the medal please contact me on the message board or  (e-mail address removed) 

Thank you

Mark

Mark, I certainly hope you are able to locate yr great uncle's War medal.  You may be aware that back in the early 1980's silver prices went thru the roof, thus many many low value (& high value as well) silver medals were sold & melted down for their silver value.  This might have been the fate of the War medal you are seeking.

Also you could join the British Medals Forum & place an advert on that Forum requesting assistance.

Good luck & best wishes!

Bryan

40 minutes ago, Mark Bowers said:

Hi 

Any info concerning the whereabouts of the medal please contact me on the message board

Mark

Hi Mark,

Best of luck with your search. 

It would be a good idea to remove your email address from your post- it may save you from a lot of unwelcome spam. 

• Admin
Michelle Young

Email address removed. We do not encourage posting of personal information on a public forum. 

I did use my e-mail in a recent newspaper article that was done no problem.

But that's fine i am new to the message board so don't know how you do things here.

Bryan regarding the silver comment the medal has only been lost in about the last 7 years not back to 1980's.

I also stated in my post that i had posted on British Medal Forum so it would save people suggesting that idea.

Thanks anyway.

Mark

Edited by Mark Bowers
  • Admin
Michelle Young

Do you know if the medal was sold via an auction house? You can try contacting the house if so. Also worth contacting auctioneers to see if they can alert you if it comes up for sale. Also there's some way of setting up an alert on eBay , and Ancestry but I don't know how that is done. 

Hi Michelle

I will try and explain the situation. Recently a man who i don't even know saw my great uncles Victory medal for sale on a dealers website.

When he started to look up about the soldier saw the info i had placed on Sheffield Soldiers website see the link in my original post.

He contacted this website and asked them to notify me of the medal. This they did and i then got in touch with the dealer.

I told him that i would purchase the medal because it was a relation. But while i was on the phone asked if he had my great uncles British War Medal as well.

He said that he only ever had the Victory medal had it for about 7 years. Bought it off an ebay seller from Barnsley.

I asked him if he could give me the ebay sellers ident so i could make contact or pass a message on to him.

Said he would look through his details to see if he still had it. Not heard anything so hence the Barnsley Chronicle article link above.

This is as much as we know.   I keep checking all the selling sites and dealers.