Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Roberts KOSB

Alan24

46 minutes ago, corisande said:

And  (yet) another photo

That is a super photo of our subject wearing fighting order, but with empty ammunition pouches so obviously posed for the camera.  Again the distinctive RSF cap badge (interestingly the sole survivor of a once common glengarry badge style for all the fusilier regiments) is clear to see.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Alan24 said:

Good point! I wonder if the cessation of his diary on 6 Mar 1918 has anything to do with the Sping Offesnsive? 

The offensive hadn’t launched on that date but the British command had known one was imminent, just not when and exactly where, so I suppose there might be some connection with battalion preparation.  Perhaps the Brigade war diary will offer more.

10 hours ago, corisande said:

There is a YouTube clip from STV - click - that includes the stills below. The quality is not good as they are just freeze-frames

arthur.JPG.b553f28029cf541b97eba587caed1fde.JPG

arthur2.JPG.e75dd61fb02a1906a6561e813d6d635f.JPG

arthur3.JPG.200026295ff598e26986d15fae6079f4.JPG

The STV clip on YouTube states that his Diary and other memorabilia are at the IWM.

Does anyone have access, or is it still under lockdown?

Tom.

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The offensive hadn’t launched on that date but the British command had known one was imminent, just not when and exactly where, so I suppose there might be some connection with battalion preparation.  Perhaps the Brigade war diary will offer more.

You're right it was a couple of weeks early to stop but from experience of my GGF, he often went 10 days between diary entries, other times there would be 3 or 4 entries the same week. Strangely the biggest gaps were when he was out on rest - perhaps there wasn't much to say.

I think the point I was making was once the offensive started, I suspect he was a bit busy..! 

When things calmed down again, maybe he'd lost the enthusiasm to restart his diary, I'm sure we've all lost the enthusiasm to restart something after a short hiatus. 

"The Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum, tells the story of our Regiment, antecedent regiments & successor battalion. The Royal Highland Fusiliers (RHF) was formed in 1959 by the amalgamation of The Royal Scots Fusiliers (RSF) & The Highland Light Infantry (HLI). At the formation of The Royal Regiment of Scotland (2006), 1st Battalion The Royal Highland Fusiliers became The Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (2 SCOTS); and have since served with distinction in Iraq & Afghanistan".

The RHF Museum, presently based on Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, is in a building which has now been deemed 'unfit for purpose'. Plans are afoot to locate the Museum into the Kelvin Hall, Glasgow.

The RSF history is incorporated in the Museum, and fellow GWF member Sandy Leishman has always been helpful to locate information concerning the Regiment (and all others).

Sandy hasn't visited the GWF for some years now, but maybe some better-located member may be able to help as to enquiring at the Museum during the present limited days and hours.

Tom.

The Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum Glasgow (rhf.org.uk)

Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum ( Riverside Show / STVGlasgow ) - YouTube

49 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

You're right it was a couple of weeks early to stop but from experience of my GGF, he often went 10 days between diary entries, other times there would be 3 or 4 entries the same week. Strangely the biggest gaps were when he was out on rest - perhaps there wasn't much to say.

I think the point I was making was once the offensive started, I suspect he was a bit busy..! 

When things calmed down again, maybe he'd lost the enthusiasm to restart his diary, I'm sure we've all lost the enthusiasm to restart something after a short hiatus. 

Yes that does seem quite likely.