Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying Field Post Office T.23

Simon127

Hello all,

I'm not entirely sure whether this is the best sub-forum for this one; I looked through the others and felt this was probably the best candidate.  If, however, it should have gone elsewhere, please do let me know and I will duly move it on!

I am trying to identify which Field Post Office a field service postcard - the standard type freely issued to soldiers for basic news - originated from.  The stamp identifies it as T.23.  I believe it may be possible to identify the post office from which it had been posted using this information. I did attempt to find a list of FPOs online but to no avail.  

If anyone is able to give me a steer as to whereabouts FPO T.23 might have been situated, I'd be most grateful. 

Best wishes,

Simon  

The German Field Post Offices can only be localised if you have date and FPO number.

Maybe this applies to their British Counterparts as well?

Best,

GreyC

Thanks, GreyC.  

I should have thought to mention the date as I believe this is pertinent information!  The posting date is 10 June 1916.  

Thanks,  

Simon

Simon

Proud's History of the British Army Postal Service Vol 2 shows them to be in the Somme area July to Oct 1916. They were originally part of 23 Division Train and had arrived in France by 29.8.15.  Given that 23 Division took part in the Battle for Albert  4th-11th July 1916 I think it is likely they were on the Somme the previous month for the build up.   

Just looked up 23 Div Train War Diary  and the Divisional Railhead was at Barlin where the FPO would receive their mail and distribute it to units. They would also accept outgoing mail.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry,

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to look into this for me.  I must admit that, having seen the date, I had hoped that there might be a link to the Somme with this particular card!  To think that this was sent home in those heady days leading up to the 1 July makes it somehow rather evocative.  I never cease to be surprised by what members on here can turn up.      

My great-grandfather was one amongst that great mass of humanity bearing down on Picardy that summer.    

Thanks again for your help.

Simon