Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MisterWiki

Greetings,

This is my first post and I hope to share what I can and learn from all

of you!

My question is this: German cavalry regiments had 4-6 squadrons. How were these squadrons organized? How many men? How was the squadron sub divided?

Thank you in advance!

Chris

Hello Chris!

An Eskadron (squadron) is divided in two ranks (Rank = Glied) and four platoons (Platoon = Zug). Each platoon has three groups (Group = Gruppe), each group had two files (File = Rotte). If there is a file with only one man, it´s called a "blind file"

By outkreak of the war each squadron had 6 officers, 168 other ranks and 178 horses.

A regiment with 4 squadrons had 36 officers and 688 other ranks with 769 horses.

Scannen0001.jpg.7ae3822e3461bc2ff528543e2f814c54.jpg

You are awesome! I am a former military intelligence analyst and love making Order of battle charts. I hope to make a massive one of the German Army on the eve of war in 1914.  Thank you for your assistance!

Chrix

Hi Chris!

I'm glad I could help. Now I'm at work. If you've got more questions, let me kmow

When looking at OB (order of battle) charts, it can be confusing when looking at some army's terminology. A German cavalry squadron that you described here in detail sounds like a company sized element. In the US Army, a cavalry squadron is a battalion equivalent broken down into troops (companies) and further into platoons and squads.  You have helped clear it up.

Chris

2 hours ago, MisterWiki said:

In the US Army, a cavalry squadron is a battalion equivalent

In Germany it is called Abteilung.

GreyC

Hi!

That´s not correct to 100%.

Mounted units like Artillery and Train had "Abteilungen".

In peace-time a cavalry regiment only had 5 Eskadrons and no Abteilung. Later when they became dismounted, their Eskadrons were called companies like Infantry.

Sorry, GreyC, that I gave you the wrong information during our talk.