Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian 7th (Meerut) Division north of Arsuf – Unknown action on May 29th, 1918

Eran Tearosh

All,

I just completed an in-depth article (In Hebrew) for The Society for the Heritage of WWI in Israel’s website, under ‘This month before…’, dedicated to the events connected to the area of Arsuf (Apolonia), north of Tel-Aviv/Jaffa.

The climax is the ‘Action of Arsuf’- 8th June, 1918, this month, 103 years ago. As usual, you start with something, and it leads you far far away…

This action is mentioned briefly (a line or a paragraph) in most general sources, such as Wavell’s ‘Palestine Campaigns’ and Fall’s ‘Military Operations – Egypt & Palestine’ (BOH). Eventually, I found more details in the ‘History of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in the Great War, 1914-1918’.

The 2nd Battalion Black Watch was one of the two battalions of the 21 Brigade, 7th (Meerut) Division that took part in that action. The other battalion was 1st Guides Infantry. The Guides part of the story is almost unknown to me. There’s a book titled ‘History of the Guides 1846-1922’, but my guess is that being a general book that covers the whole Corps of Guides (Infantry & Cavalry) for a period of over 70 years – most likely there won’t be that much information there about what I’m after. The Guides took the dominating features called the ‘North Sister’ & ‘South Sister’ and faced Ottoman counter-attacks. Both battalions paid a bloody price for the ‘Sisters’ (Mostly the Guides) and the posts on the cliffs above the beach (The Black watch) – Over 60 killed and over 200 wounded. Most of these are buried today in Ramleh or commemorated at Heliopolis (Port Tewfik) Memorial.  

Diving into the details given in the book of the Black Watch and looking at the maps, I came to the conclusion that there’s a whole chapter of events missing, prior to the Action of Arsuf. It seems that the 7th (Meerut) Division moved northwards from the vicinity of Arsuf, probably at the end of May 1918. A new line was established from ‘Brown Ridge’ (Modern Arsuf of today, next to kibbutz Shefayim) in the west to ‘Dud Post’ to the east (Today at the north part of moshav Rishpon). This new line was defiantly dominated by the ‘Sisters’ and therefore the need to take them and remove that threat, hence the ‘Action of Arsuf’. A line in the Black Watch’s book mentions that ‘Brown Ridge’ was taken by the 2nd Battalion Leicestershire a couple of days before the arrival of the Scots on the scene. I checked CWGC records for Leicestershire casualties buried at Ramleh, date of death end of May 1918 and found that something happened on May 29th – there are a few graves (KIA), probably connected to an action of that battalion, which resulted in the takeover of ‘Brown Ridge’.

WD’s of the 7th (Meerut) Division and/or the 28th Brigade and/or the 2nd Battalion Leicestershire Regiment might help to understand this completely unknown chapter of the events in this sector of the front line.  If someone has the History of the 1st & 2nd Battalions, THE LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT, in the Great War – maybe that can help as well.

Seems there were quite a lot of things going on in this sector also after that, but no changes of the line, so probably it was the ‘normal’ day to day routine of some shelling, snipers, patrols etc’.

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

• Admin
On 07/06/2021 at 01:17, Eran Tearosh said:

History of the 1st & 2nd Battalions, THE LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT, in the Great War

Hello Eran, 5 pages are given to this period of time in the book. 2nd Battalion arrives Suez 22nd Jan. Camps at Ismailia until end of March. General Alenby reorganises the troops, basically sending  British battalions to France and  replacing them with  Indian battalions. 2nd Battalion Leicesters leave Ismailia on 28th March reaching Kantara 24 hours later and then on to Ludd. Strength is 32 officers and 1,034 other ranks. April 3rd the 7th Division is moved forward relieving the 52nd Division in the coastal sector from near Tel-el-Mukhmr to Arsuf. The 28th brigade at a camp just beyond Sarona. Going to the front line on the 16th, relieving the 28th Punjabis/19th Brigade. At this stage the book quotes from the 2nd Battalion Leicesters WD.  HQ at Arsuf, 28th May the objective is Brown Ridge which is taken. Casualties; one Lieut killed and 2 wounded, other ranks, 3 killed 2 missing and 28 wounded. First three weeks June the 28th brigade is at rest, so play no part in the 19th brigades capture of 'the Sisters' observation post.  I believe I have given you what it says in the book all be it very concise. Regards, Bob.

2021515.jpg.9e8bc6508ae8a85a33d51a3e0ec446c0.jpg

Bob, that's absolutely great!!!

This advance, of May 28-29 is not mentioned in any general book about the campaign! 

Now these loose ends connect!

Any chance for page 190 as well? Looks like it's cut in the middle, just before handing the area to the Black Watch.

Many thanks!

Eran

• Admin
On 07/06/2021 at 04:40, Eran Tearosh said:

Any chance for page 190 as well?

Yes, here you go! :-)

2021516.jpg.b8aa694f7d5050ae911750c96eaf97b8.jpg

2021517.jpg.de6c8ed45bab79a15af0555543ea5684.jpg

Thank You!

Most appreciated!

This solves one more missing part. 

image.png.d7463aa0c0d33816281b83a27ecf5211.png

This map is taken from the Black Watch book. I wondered about the names given to the wadi's (Wadi - dry river bed) and one of the posts:

Wadi Cameron & Castle Cochrane - Officers of the Black watch

Wadi Doncaster - Officer of the Guides

Wadi Ferguson - Now I know he's from the Leicestershire. 

Today Wadi Ferguson is within modern Arsuf (north of ancient Arsuf). This is how it looks today:

1552084812_WadiFerguson.jpg.44c1bf464eb14d6045a7e06629db6a7e.jpg

Eran

• Admin
On 07/06/2021 at 05:56, Eran Tearosh said:

Wadi Ferguson - Now I know he's from the Leicestershire.

Hi Eran, I found a little more on Captain Ferguson,  with such a distinction as having a Wadi named after him, Here are his POW records. He is infact from the Durham Light Infantry. Says so on page 186. So often I read without taking it all in.  Regards, Bob.   from Ancestry co .uk ;POW records.

Name: J F Ferguson
Regiment: Palestine. 2/Leicestershire Regt.
Date Missing: 17 Apr 1918
Repatriation Date: Jan 1919
Notes: att. from Durham L.I.
Record Number: 7803
Section:

East Theatre of War.

006.jpg.662f256473adda3aa9e688db25465a69.jpg

007.jpg.24f92ce84a9527db9af7dbc4d3cb30c2.jpg

008.jpg.77d30316068897eaa89c3ae2610c7429.jpg

009.jpg.869c3f0ceba7456e62b7ff78315c7d1a.jpg

• Admin
On 07/06/2021 at 01:17, Eran Tearosh said:

As usual, you start with something, and it leads you far far away…

Hi Eran and all, not too far away, however looking for more details about Captain J F Ferguson DLI I think that he may have been attached to the 2nd Leicesters some time between 23rd December 1917 and 1st January 1918. The 2nd Leicesters reach Maqil on the evening of the 23rd Dec and remain there until 1st Jan. Captain Ferguson is first mentioned on this date so it would seem likely that he was at the No 1 Base Depot at Maqil around this time and then was attached to the 2nd Leicesters. see attached paragraphs from the book, pages 184 and 185. I cannot find mention of him previous to this date. (1st Jan 1918) From the Long Long Trail it seems as if the 1st Battalion DLI were in India at the start of the war and as Indian Divisions were being moved around the globe to reinforce the Western front and other places, Captain Ferguson must have been chosen for whatever reason to go and fight in Mesopotamia, Egypt and Palestine. Any thoughts on any of this are appreciated. Regards, Bob.

2021520.jpg.8b1176cefc37c12d2f95868fb6af9365.jpg

2021519.jpg.378efc30d8bb23642989b27154b70131.jpg