Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barr&Stroud Rangefinder

ZIL

I have just bought this.dated 1918 .it was issued to South African Troops.It needs TLC but everything is there.I have read that some were wrapped in asbestos.Mine appears to be canvas.Can anyone assist please. Thanks again

712A0B49-D96C-4C7F-9A40-ADDD1906498E.png.0d3f2b10a18c0f10dcfa8b0a890963f0.png

Richard Fisher at the Vickers Machine Gun site  https://vickersmg.blog/ may be able to help. There is a good section on Barr and Stroud rangefinders. The Range-finder - The Vickers Machine Gun (vickersmg.blog)

Thanks David...I will make contact...very useful info.To be on the safe side I’ve sent two samples to be tested.

Regards Zil

Thanks again David..I have mailed Richard Fisher ..reply awaited.I have received the lab results which show negative for asbestos...good news.

The contacts you have provided are an excellent source of info.

Regards Zil

This might be of interest 

From The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project :: View topic - Barr & Stroud WW1 (Works) Memorial (bizhat.com)

Barr & Stroud Limited was a pioneering Scottish optical engineering firm, initially formed in 1913 in Anniesland, Glasgow. They played a leading role in the development of modern optics, including rangefinders, for the Royal Navy and for other branches of British Armed Forces during the 20th century. There was a non-military arm of the company which made medical equipment, like photo-coagulators and electronic filters, some of which were used by the BBC. The company and its intellectual property passed through Pilkington group to Thales Optronics. The factory is now located on the south side of Glasgow at:- 1 Linthouse Road, Glasgow G51 4 BZ.
The memorial is located in the factory grounds.
Many thanks to Alan Rae, Communications Manager, Thales for providing the photographs. The photographs were taken during the Remembrance Service November 2014.

Ken

Thanks Ken...Yes it is of interest both from the historical and practical points of view. Mine is in need of some careful maintenance & sympathetic  restoration.I believe in the least done the better but you have given a point of contact for possible essential spares.

Regards Zil

eBay has just had a beautiful boxed No 2 INF RF. Not rare but still uncommon. Also check Herman Historical amazing DEU auction house but the British kit is relatively cheap. I mention this because not so long back they had both patterns of tripods for the RF, incl leather frog.

Mark