Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying a Connaught Ranger

BrilliantPower2

Hi,

I recently purchased a Connaught Rangers cap badge.I was told by the previous owner that his name was Micheal Byrne from  Ballymote Tuam,Galway. According to the owner he was a pre-war regular.However this is all the information I have.I have a picture of him in uniform which from my basic knowledge is a overseas uniform which they would wear in India which would make sense for the regular battalions of the Connaught Rangers. I also understand that the cap badge is a pre-war one by the pin in the back. Any help on finding out more about him would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMG-20210414-WA0000.jpg.afde0a20661aaf646905f25c55f55174.jpg

20210529_114837.jpg.b24c922be1c34c735d95b37141997c4b.jpg

20210529_114841.jpg.9a2c435dd502167d122d36aea8238c01.jpg

The cap badge originally had a vertical slider, or shank and you can see its stub just below the crown, so it's the 1902 pattern issued for the 2nd pattern Brodrick cap after Queen Victoria died.  The badge has then been 'brooched' (the term used in the jewellery trade) so that is can be affixed to a ladies dress, or coat, or a man's lapel.

The soldier is wearing a pattern of belt very similar to that issued in India and recognisable by the attachment rings top and bottom either side of the buckle.  They were made in the government leather factory at Cawnpore (Kanpur).  However, although I can't see the uniform as well as I'd like I think it is the first pattern for the Irish Free State Army.  It would help if I could see his legs.

NB.  I don't know if British-India made any equipment for the Irish Free State, but it's not impossible.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I had a look in the Irish Army site

https://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections

but could not find him in the Irish Army post independence

However searching all corners of that site is not easy, so you ought to have a go yourself

The belt is from the first pattern of equipment purchased by the Irish Free State and replaced quite quickly by a web pattern identical to the British, but in a different colour.  The enclosed images show how the full uniform appeared.  If the OP’s full length photo revealing legs shows leather gaiters then that will clinch it. 

6D626AD5-97E4-455F-A3D1-81DF6D5132D5.jpeg.14e5a0c67fa8f912ce58239ed78d4de6.jpeg

235E8A7E-FD8D-4AF8-8FC8-22B188AC7DB1.jpeg.1ba88dcf310545e6ed83f7d990c33429.jpeg

Unfortunately the picture doesnt show his boots and that's the only copy of the photo.

55 minutes ago, BrilliantPower2 said:

Unfortunately the picture doesnt show his boots and that's the only copy of the photo.

I’m fairly sure from the design of his uniform and the belt that he’s a soldier of the Irish Free State pro-treaty forces.  The leather gaiters would just have corroborated that. Notice the standing collar, absence of collar badges and full thighs of his breeches, none of which would have featured with British uniform.

As you might well know former British soldiers were on both sides in the Irish Civil War.

Edited by FROGSMILE