Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Mystery

Steve1871

A long time Friend anddealer, Collector, very advanced made a bulk buy of a lot of stuff, he still sorting, but he just sent me these 2 photo’s, he attached to one his 98A rifles

( Even in books, I see rifle list as 98A  and 98AZ?) Anyway, only a single marking of a “U” over crown

Anybody have a good idea,have one or know of photos, describing in a book? Thanks

8EA8304C-3299-4716-A8CA-6DA3E0845911.jpeg.b1686e757c3911e2c366a7ed3e6f907d.jpeg

065E9F42-25CA-44FA-B8CB-6B23D3E9386D.thumb.jpeg.f548af8c9961991ceb7b892d5f59abae.jpeg

Another possibility is a trial extension for stick type rifle grenade? A guess

Possible with this mounting is blocked the front sight, so no possible to aim. could be for some stick grenades with using of blank ammo?

Steve,

The item in question is a rather scarce flash hider.  To quote from "Rifle & Carbine 98" by Dieter Storz page 300:

"Lengthening the barrel of the lengthened M 98 carbine had not sufficed effectively to suppress the annoying muzzle flash.  At night it dazzled not only the friendly riflemen, but showed the enemy where sectors were held by cavalry, which as everyone knew, were less effective than infantry.  This gave the enemy an undesirable invitation to concentrate his efforts on the cavalry.  In October 1915 a special flash hider was introduced, a detachable tube, but only for soldiers in the very front line, not those in the rear echelon. Like the muzzle cap, it was attached to the muzzle.  But this attachment was not firm enough so that an improved model with a bayonet attachment was introduced a year later.

With the flash hider attached the carbine was as long as the rifle.  Soldiers evidently did not like it.................they were lying around without having been attached in rooms and offices and the men did not know what to do with them".

The book I mention above is one of a set of three about German rifles and, although relatively expensive, in my opinion worth every penny.

Best wishes,

Michael.

Thanks, make sinn with the flash hider, even we dont see how high is the circle on muzzle ring, there existed some night sights with phosporic sight blades.

Thanks Michael, will let my friend know