Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Cameronians officer, surname Turner

PFSDublin

2nd Lieutenant W. Turner, 11th Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), later Acting Captain, 1st Garrison Battalion, Cameronians. First commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, 30th April 1915. 

Does anyone know what the Christian name of this officer was? 

Unfortunately, there is no Medal Index Card for this officer on Ancestry and WW1 Army Lists only give his initial, not his full Christian name. My researcher tells me I need his Christian name in order to locate his officer's service papers at Kew. Can anyone help, please?

TNA have this card

turner.jpg.f13bad8dca192e312144a08b533e53bc.jpg

turner2.jpg.7e1d7674e42522b2125465fda4f31830.jpg

He appears to be . I have no idea why he was born there! Then I found his father's obit

Mr William Turner, Ben Ericht, Rattray, who was well known in business circles in Blairgowrie, Coupar Angus, and Dundee died last night at the age of 81. He had been in failing health since January. Mr Turner, who belonged to Aberdeen, had been for many years engaged in the cane sugar industry in the Hawaiian Islands, the East Indies, and the West Indies.
Subsequently he became associated with the jute industry, and for the past 20 years had been manager of the Station Works, Coupar Angus, for Messrs Durie & Millar, jute manufacturers. He was held in much esteem by the employees and in the communities of Coupar Angus and Blairgowrie.
He was a well known figure in jute circles of Dundee. Deceased was an elder of St. Andrew's Church, Blairgowrie. He did not take any active part in public affairs.
He was predeceased by his wife, and is survived by two sons and three daughters. Three of his sons were killed in the war.

Birth 21 SEP 1883 Hawaiian Islands, Main Island

Death 11 DEC 1967 Greenwich, Greater London, England

Commissioned to 5th bat in LG

The undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants. Dated 1st November, 1914:William George Argo Turner (lateColour-Serjeant of this Battalion)

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately William George Argo Turner is not the Turner I am looking for, who was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant 30th April 1915 and served with the 11th Cameronians and 1st Garrison Battalion Cameronians.

If you want foru members to research him, then you will have to say what you know.

For example where was he born, when , where did he live, who were his parents. Can you also give the LG eference to his commission

On 02/06/2021 at 02:37, PFSDublin said:

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately William George Argo Turner is not the Turner I am looking for, who was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant 30th April 1915 and served with the 11th Cameronians and 1st Garrison Battalion Cameronians.

On 02/06/2021 at 02:53, corisande said:

If you want foru members to research him, then you will have to say what you know.

For example where was he born, when , where did he live, who were his parents. Can you also give the LG eference to his commission

There is a Lt W.G.A. Turner mentioned once in the WD of the 5th Battalion.

I've attached a snippet of my transcription of the page where he is mentioned as arriving as a reinforcement during the month of May, 1917.

Tom.

1370909528_191705p11-LtWGATurnerpt1.jpg.b12707fc329f45671bb8511d274283b1.jpg

1883747938_191705p11-LtWGATurnerpt2.jpg.72b404778cb1246210e03c5a9046af2e.jpg

16 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

There is a Lt W.G.A. Turner mentioned once in the WD of the 5th Battalion.

I've attached a snippet of my transcription of the page where he is mentioned as arriving as a reinforcement during the month of May, 1916.

Tom.

1917 05 p11 - Lt WGA Turner pt 1.jpg

1917 05 p11 - Lt WGA Turner pt 2.jpg

Thanks for going to the trouble of uploading this information, but it is definitely not WGA Turner. My man was commissioned on 30th April 1915. All the information I have is as follows: 2nd Lieutenant W. Turner, 11th Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), later Acting Captain, 1st Garrison Battalion, Cameronians. First commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, 30th April 1915. 

2nd Lieutenant W. Turner, 11th Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), later Acting Captain, 1st Garrison Battalion, Cameronians. First commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, 30th April 1915. "

Can you just tell us where that comes from. I cannot find tht commission in LG

So how do you know it is correct

Might the elusive W Turner who is being sought be one of the three brothers of WGA Turner who did not survive the war?

Any way of finding out what they were called, as a starter?

CJ

I would note that the only W Turner, or indeed Turner in Cameronians in May 1915 Army List is WGA Turner, then listed with 5th Bn as *Capt dated 1 Jan 1915

and in May 1917 Army List the same is still shown in 5th Bn as 2Lt [dated 1 Nov 1914] with *Capt [1 jan 1915]

but there is also in May 1917 a W Turner listed in 1st Garrison Bn as a *2Lt [for some reason with 2 dates, like several other subalterns: 30/4/1915, and also 27/1/1916 ] = [Army List May 1917 1152g]

maybe the 2nd date may provide a LG entry?

Thanks for going to the trouble of uploading this information, but it is definitely not WGA Turner. My man was commissioned on 30th April 1915. All the information I have is as follows: 2nd Lieutenant W. Turner, 11th Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), later Acting Captain, 1st Garrison Battalion, Cameronians. First commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, 30th April 1915. 

1 hour ago, PFSDublin said:

•  

You have not stated or shown the source of your information.

In light of the information presented to you by members of the GWF, have you considered that the information given by "your researcher" is wrong?

Tom.

I think the point I was trying to make - examining the information we had -  is that the Army List May 1917 makes clear that this is not WGA Turner, but there  is indeed  another W Turner in Cameronians..dated 30/4/1915.. as the May 1917 list shows..  [and I suspect the original information is  indeed based on Army List listings]. This W Turner, if commissioned 30 April 1915 did not show in the May 1915 Army List [which is perhaps not unexpected]... but maybe appears in later 1915 lists...  [which I do not have to hand] or in later LGs.

But I admit no further forward in identifying who exactly he was.. but someone who did not serve overseas seems likely.. but I would suggest as there appear to be few Turners commissioned in Cameronians with a W initial..there may be few possible records to check in Officer files..  but it is not WGA Turner..

6 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

You have not stated or shown the source of your information.

In light of the information presented to you by members of the GWF, have you considered that the information given by "your researcher" is wrong?

Tom.

All the information I have is from the Indian Army List of 1919. There is only one officer by the name of W. Turner listed in the Indian army lists, 1st Garrison Battalion, Cameronians (late 11th Battalion Cameronians). He was first commissioned into 11th Cameronians on 30/4/1915.