Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The New Army in Training - Kipling

IanA

Like many folks on the forum, I have a huge collection of books on the Great War. Some I've re-read multiple times and others I'll never pick up again but the sheer volume means that I can browse, as in a library, and sometimes come across forgotten gems. This morning, I was examining thin books or pamphlets without spine titles and came across a volume bound in marbled card and lacking a title or an author. It was printed by R & R Clark, Ltd., Edinburgh. (No date). After Googling the opening sentence, I found that it been written by Kipling and first printed in the 'Daily Telegraph'. The Kipling Society state that it was published as a 64 page booklet (correct) but give no further information.

If anyone can expand on these scanty details I'd be interested to find out more.

Ian

Found an initial reference but not attempted to look further as Kath posted details as above.

http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/all_main.htm

Also found this...

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_New_Army_in_Training_Scholar_s_Choic.html?id=YxQ-rgEACAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

Edited by BarbaraG

The New Army, the result of Kipling visiting various training stations in the U.K., was first published as a series of articles in the Daily Telegraph in late 1914. It then appeared as 6 pamphlets published by Doubleday in the US in the same year to establish copyright. These are very scarce as only 50 copies of each were printed. The first English edition was published by Macmillan in 1915 in an edition of 12,375 copies, which is the one you have. Two other volumes were published in the same format - The Fringes of the Fleet & France at War.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

The New Army, the result of Kipling visiting various training stations in the U.K., was first published as a series of articles in the Daily Telegraph in late 1914. It then appeared as 6 pamphlets published by Doubleday in the US in the same year to establish copyright. These are very scarce as only 50 copies of each were printed. The first English edition was published by Macmillan in 1915 in an edition of 12,375 copies, which is the one you have. Two other volumes were published in the same format - The Fringes of the Fleet & France at War.

Thank you for that. It seems odd that, although the binding appears original and complete, there's no date, author, title or publisher - just the printer.

3 hours ago, IanA said:

Thank you for that. It seems odd that, although the binding appears original and complete, there's no date, author, title or publisher - just the printer.

I’ve just checked my copy and a Kipling bibliography & it seems with this particular volume the front cover served as the title page. With your copy they’ve clearly removed the cover prior to rebinding it. The Edinburgh printer is correct.

31 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I’ve just checked my copy and a Kipling bibliography & it seems with this particular volume the front cover served as the title page. With your copy they’ve clearly removed the cover prior to rebinding it. The Edinburgh printer is correct.

Wonderful. Shame my copy is more Scottish than American!