Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant's regiment? Date?

Stan McW

Hi again. This photograph has "Frank Coghlan, Photographer, Carlisle Road, Londonderry" on the back with writing which has been inked out and is mostly unreadable, no name can be read. It was among our family pictures but doesn't appear to match anyone, other that two Davis brothers who joined in the 1880's. The photograph doesn't look that old. Can anyone roughly date it? Any idea which regiment? He must have been at Ebrington Barracks when this was taken. Stan

1358789145_Davispossibly(Large).png.473cadddcf16d1ae96488db07f3eb36a.png

I would go with it being a late WW1 photograph. He is wearing a single Overseas chevron on his right cuff, which were only worn late war, possibly late 1917 but mainly 1918, but stopped being worn not long after the end of the war. His cap badge look very much like the Inniskilling Fusiliers badge, and that would also match the type of shoulder titles he is wearing. Only one dart is shown between the rifle patch and collar of his tunic and it is my understanding that this was a feature of some very late war made SD tunics, but is more common in the tunics issued post war.

I also think Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. It looks like there are two overseas service chevrons to me.   Pete.

I concur with both m’learned friends.  Given the presence of an overseas service stripe on his right cuff, but no end-of-war medal ribbons, I’d date it to early in 1918.  He has a full length stick, which was the privilege of SNCOs. 

191028D7-003B-48BF-8BC8-EE5AE4BDD9DE.jpeg.e3b182aa24372ad5ee49c2b36eef3456.jpeg

67AFED05-99BA-4274-811E-6CD207A12220.jpeg.98dfa40892c133f79068039357a3419e.jpeg

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

There is an item on his left cuff?

Yes, I can see that also, crossed something or other no doubt, impossible to say, but possibly rifles.

Nice photo

Chris

On 31/05/2021 at 21:33, Dragoon said:

Yes, I can see that also, crossed something or other no doubt, impossible to say, but possibly rifles.

Nice photo

Chris

Yes I think it looks like a butt of crossed rifles marksmanship badge.  Good spot by you both! 

0DDB761D-D5EC-4659-A986-708AD2FBF1D9.png.45816a025b778bbf53ef5e9ecf1b049b.png

I'm impressed !! Yes it is a good photo I would love to know what's written on the back. possible words "Dearest Wife" "Kitty" "Son Pat" - I've attached a good scan.

1951526643_RobertDavispostcardback_c.png.25e4887e0dcb08ed1622183a267877eb.png

I think it possibly reads in two halves.  On the left “lots of love from your” and on the right “dearest wife”.....

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks. Someone didn't want it read! Likely because he married the wrong side. There was form here in this and the wider family, of which he is likely part. I'll do a bit more digging. You expert knowledge is a great help.

Is it possible that this was Robert J McDowell, Cloone, Co Leitrim, Acting Sergeant, killed in France 1916?

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE%2FENEC011%2F00001946&parentid=IRE%2FENEC011%2F00001946%2F004

or John Young Foster, Sergeant, KILMAINHAM, BALLINAGH, CO. CAVAN, died France 1918.

https://www.findmypast.ie/transcript?id=IRE%2FENEC011%2F00001005%2F003

or William Colson, Ballyconnell, Co Cavan, sergeant, died France 1916.

https://www.findmypast.ie/transcript?id=IRE%2FENEC011%2F00000509%2F004

or Hugh Quinlin Cavan. Lanc Sergeant. Died France 1916.

https://www.findmypast.ie/transcript?id=IRE%2FENEC011%2F00002663%2F010

They all live in the region of South Leitrim a likely source of his family.  The feeling above was that this was a late WW1 photograph which would tend to favour John Young Foster.

Stan

The presence of overseas service stripes adds credence to a likely date late in the war as I mentioned above, so John (Jack) Young Foster does seem a likely candidate.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Could that read "To my son"? on the left of the postcard?

Possibly - "To my son and dearest wife

Kitty and son Pat

From your ..."  It's coming along.

I'll follow on John Foster and see where that take me.

According to the CWGC website John Young Foster was the son of Henry and Sophia Foster, of Kilmainham, Ballinagh, County Cavan, and a native of Kilmore, County Cavan. Surely though, if he was married there would more likely be a reference to his wife, rather than his parents?

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/517583/JOHN YOUNG FOSTER/

Yes I have just found him on the 1901 census at 6 years, same parents. And also found a link from the Foster family to Cartwright family in Cavan by way of a will area which would be the most likely source of the picture getting to me, need to be confirmed but progress. Thanks.