Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16thBNCanScotJim

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some help in locating a photo of the Machine Gun Section, 162nd Overseas Battalion, C.E.F., Camp Niagara.  Ok, yes I am cheap and hoping to find a free copy as the LAC charges for digital copies of photos that are not scanned in already.  Here is the link to the copy described in their records;

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/CollectionSearch/Pages/record.aspx?app=fonandcol&IdNumber=5013409&new=-8585794186628848474 

I am currently trying to find a photo of my family member who enlisted with the 162nd and died in 1918 with the 4th Bn CMGC.  His name is Adolphus “Duff” Evers, originally of Trout Creek Ontario.  I have taken an interest in researching as much as I can about his life and service. I have his enlistment papers and some other documents & photos of him, but....had him incorrectly identified from one of the other chaps in the battalion. The main photo of him on the Virtual memorial and the Canadian Fallen site are not him (we now believe) and have not been able to confidently recognize his face in any of the other quality photos of the Battlion companies, signallers, or scouts .  That leaves me with one remaining group photo which I cannot find, the machine gun section.  I suspect that he may likely have been in that sections’ group photo, given that once he arrived in England, he was quickly transferred to the Canadian Machine Gun Depot and eventually into the field with the 12th Canadian Machine Gun Company.  This makes sense to me given, if he had the experience from his training in the 162nd MG section, this may have led to his transfer to the MG depot. 

So, after my long winded explanation; the ask;  Does anyone have a copy of the photo of the 162nd Bn CEF Machine Gun Section that you could share with me.  

Once I get that I will start searching the faces for Duff. The ultimate goal is in hopes of tracing/ identifying him in this High quality photo, so that I may be able to match his likeness to some of the photos I have found of the 12th MG company in France. 

Thanks in advance for any help with this. 

ps. The photo in my profile is the confirmed photo of Duff Evers. And in memory of Duff, Private Adolphus Evers was killed by shell fire on 12th April 1918 while his No. 2 Company 4th Bn. CMGC under the command of Major Leslie Pearce, conducted a side step operation north from the Oppy wood area towards Arleux-en-Gohelle. Duff was initially laid to rest just north of Willerval, and after the war was exhumed and He now rests as ease, buried in the Orchard Dump cemetery in Willerval France. Duff was survived by his parents, many siblings, his Wife Jeannette and his Son Duff Jr. who was born while he was overseas.  Duff is yet survived by many family members including his Grandson Duff Evers (3rd).   We will remember him at the going down of the sun, and in the morning... 

https://canadianfallen.ca/46519/EVERS

The photo below I believe is NOT that of Adolphus, but was miss identified as him... when I am able to find a confirmed photo of of him in one of the other group photos, I hope to correct the two sites showing this errant image.
image.jpeg.67a27ad21b843919e787a7978b059bfd.jpeg

The following ( below ) image is confirmed to be Duff Evers.

image.jpeg.fd7233ef2067ae7b601ffcc4978372b4.jpeg

Cheers

Jim

• 16thBNCanScotJim changed the title to Looking for photo 162nd Battalion CEF Machine Gun Section-1916