The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some more initials on a Robbins of Dudley pusher knife

arantxa

Any ideas ABBB602E-C6D0-4DE2-BB79-7C801959FE2C.jpeg.2d9eb20d0689dbd2ea3a4114da433d96.jpeg

E15EBC25-9182-4CF8-8A83-EB49BE69A874.jpeg

81C559A5-228D-46CB-BCDF-E6CBED939FBF.jpeg

D0ABE88B-5719-43AB-8B31-B3BFC6DB80B6.jpeg

F4C313BA-B79E-4044-89F6-EE19F202F709.jpeg

7AEF0A39-22A3-462D-A86B-F3EBD11E483C.jpeg

• Admin

Can you take a better image of photo 5 please? It's so blurred it's rendered useless. 

Hi

sorry the blurred one is just my knee. Lol

all I have is the knife and the initials 

53 minutes ago, arantxa said:

all I have is the knife and the initials 

Without any meaningful provenance that really is a bit of a challenge for us!

That said - I came across a MIC for a 2 Lt AE Davies, RE http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2097139 and I wondered about him possibly being a tunneller needing such a close range weapon [and yet he seems to have this MIC as 1 Signal Coy and could also be recorded under EA Davies!!]

So ???

I feel sure other surnames would probably fit too.

But who knows?

???

:-/ M

Well that’s much better than nothing that I had 

I’m sure he was a tunneler !!! Lol

Bit of a long shot to put it mildly.  He is most likely to have been an infantry officer.

And another highly speculative punt - how about Lt AE Drysdale of the 47th Sikhs? http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6438144

;-) M

14 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

And another highly speculative punt - how about Lt AE Drysdale of the 47th Sikhs? http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6438144

;-) M

This seems utterly futile, there must have been several hundreds of Lt AEDs given the largest army that Britain has ever put into the field.  Without some additional more meaningful clue there’s no measure in this whatsoever, which arantaxa must surely realise.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

This seems utterly futile, there must have been several hundreds of Lt AEDs given the largest army that Britain has ever put into the field.  Without some additional more meaningful clue there’s no measure in this whatsoever, which arantaxa must surely realise.

I agree - as my first reply post highlighted!

Glad you have also alerted the OP to this.

:-) M

Even a dozen names or more to put with it is better than none .,.there is never going to be anymore information to go with it 

Then one has to make a calculated guess based on the info provided   I am most appreciative of the names suggested 

You are welcome - as you recognise, the names suggested were really just in fun.

Regardless of the [im]possibility of truly accurately assigning ownership of this knife - thank you for posting interesting images which have educated me and surely many others.

:-) M