Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this West Yorkshire Regiment ?

joanbelge

Hello my daughter recently inherited these photos / pictures from her Great Grandfather Percy Wilson. We have found his service record on Ancestry. He was wounded twice and received a disability certificate and was medically discharged. in January 1918. Sadly we can't identify him in the photos because we only have one other photo of him as a much older man. We would be grateful for any other information anyone could give us  based on these pic tures 

1551425349_PercyWilsongroupwithdogs.jpg.b96dd54e0d3a22206f97c237eeefccb0.jpg

1704544690_PercyWilsoncolourcartoon.jpg.b93e97116e683d98237f73e15a963fc1.jpg

355202094_PercyWilsonAllfour.jpg.250d57472b685e743ac19fbbcfad5cc6.jpg

458211136_PercyWilsonBEF.jpg.3aa7ce10bc6ae82186d1085017382317.jpg

643822990_PercyWilsonFrancePhoto.jpg.87dcf3fbb55d698acbd2a4369a5d274d.jpg

re s.

• Admin

I don't think so - here is an image of a WYR cap badge

Perhaps you could enlarge the image of the British Soldiers

1470676379_WestYorkCapBadge.JPG.bd07cd122d681b1845a3880323a8c865.JPG

Sorry, but you need to post far better quality images in order to get a positive ID.

The cap badge suggests a Light Infantry regiment, and there is a hint that some of the cap badges in the second photo have this badge.

Possibly Ox & Bucks Light Infantry.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

The second group photo is the OBLI (Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry) Regiment, as mentioned by Dai.

As all the photos are linked in the same album they likely relate to the same unit.

The group photo shows an understrength infantry platoon, with platoon commander at centre (usually a lieutenant) and alongside him the platoon sergeant.  Adjacent a handful of corporals (two stripes) and lance corporals (one stripe).

The mention of the 2nd Division of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) suggests that this is almost certainly the 2nd Battalion of the OBLI (one of two regular battalions of professional soldiers) that deployed from Aldershot landing in Boulogne on 14th August 1914 and joining 5th Brigade of the 2nd Infantry Division.  The 2nd Battalion ended the war at Villers Pol, France on 11 November 1918.  It's quite possible that Percy Wilson joined the OBLI late in the war, perhaps having served in other regiments beforehand.

OBLI.jpg.b06056fd909198af7ae34cba8ef76e1a.jpg

• Admin
On 24/05/2021 at 03:46, FROGSMILE said:

Loyal (East Lancashire) Regiment

I assume mean Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

Agree it does look like it

Russ

623460045_LNLRcapbadge.JPG.40f6db5087035c996fe3a8fe3c6536cf.JPG

First photo in France or the French speaking part of Belgium ? (Only because I think I read "Vente ...." and "Etablissement")

I know this is hardly of any help ...

Aurel

On 24/05/2021 at 03:49, RussT said:

I assume mean Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

Agree it does look like it

Russ

It's very similar in shape, but I quickly realised on further scrutiny that it was an optical illusion not helped by my small phone screen Russ.  It's definitely OBLI, as spotted by Dai.

And yes...I did mean North Lancashire!

OBLI.jpg.a328812c782e442703dfcd3152a460d7.jpg

155574861_OBLIST.jpg.ae27250f7835e7c70a45df10eddfc538.jpg

Joan,

Would help to know if Percy Wilson had another/second forename - a number of hits for a Percy ----- Wilson are coming up when searching O&B LI

???

Have found Pension card [disability] & MIC [BWM & VM] for a Percy John Wilson 35756 [also down as Buffs 4/4987 on the pension card and 6/E Kent 201859 on MIC]

???

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo & addit

Thank you all so much. He was just Percy Wilson his number is 15428 and on his discharge papers it says that his unit was 3rd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment

2 minutes ago, joanbelge said:

He was just Percy Wilson his number is 15428 and on his discharge papers it says that his unit was 3rd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment

Ahh, that helps, with that bit ...

Disability pension card at WFA/Fold3 as Percy WILSON, 15428, W. Yorks. - discharged 2.6.17 = 13/9 [pw] 3.6.17-4.12.17

[for a Pte suggests 50% disability - all claims were conditional until condition and payments were finalised]

BTW - I too thought O&B LI from that cap badge, so about that ... ???

:-) M

The medal records for 15428 Wilson P record that he landed in France with 12th Battalion West Yorks Regt on 10/9/15 and later transferred to 11th Battalion.  So it appears the photographs are not of him or his unit.  The penultimate image of all four pieces mounted with the cap badge centrally placed looks as though it may once have been mounted in a frame and perhaps hung on a wall somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Bordercollie said:

So it appears the photographs are not of him or his unit.  

Yes that does seem to be the case.  It needs some other photo to match with Percy, or else this must be seen as not him at all, but at best, perhaps some other member of the family who also served during WW1.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just a bit more for Percy Wilson, 15428, W Yorks - his MIC indicates a Silver War Badge [as one might rather expect]

The SWB roll has a matching date of discharge as pension - he was awarded SWB no. 234894 due to Wounds

As has been suggested a relative seems a potential solution for the photos and O& B LI cap badge - good luck with your quest.

:-) M

Thank you so much Percy Wilson was the paternal great grandfather, it turns out that the maternal great grandfather William Barnard was in the Oxford Bucks Light Infantry !  Mystery solved within the hour many thanks

24 minutes ago, joanbelge said:

Thank you so much Percy Wilson was the paternal great grandfather, it turns out that the maternal great grandfather William Barnard was in the Oxford Bucks Light Infantry !  Mystery solved within the hour many thanks

Excellent, it's pleasing to know that you've got to the bottom of it.

Thank you for the information but our William Barnard had the middle name of Henry. Tracking him down is proving difficult as he divorced my  mother in laws mother when she was seven. The family then became estranged. We know he went on to serve in the regular army and was based at Dover Castle at some point.