Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgn’t Gilbert Baxter MM (RFA)

Paul W Baxter

On 27/05/2021 at 21:48, Ivor Anderson said:

I have just been reliably informed by a private message on the BMF that Gilbert's MM was personally presented to him by the King at Headingley, Leeds on the 31.5.18. There must be a newspaper report about the King's visit!

Hello, Ivor I’ve just received a photograph from my aunt. It’s the picture I mentioned that had information about my G/Grandfather Sgt Gilbert Baxter MM. Could you tell me if this framed picture was awarded to every recipient of an MM? I checked out the Signature on the picture George R I. Apparently it’s George V ( George Rex Imperator). I would be grateful for any information you could give. 

BF5B0936-3F44-4C7F-B28B-D3CA7350B67D.png.948de81b2ae3630b96a475b97de049cd.png

1739633D-0804-42A9-88A1-35A17CB748B4.png.04cb7d60685851e2489ed7e7f4bf520f.png

Hi Paul,

That is an end of war discharge certificate with the King's signature preprinted. It is not connected to his MM, but is in VGC and nice to have.

15 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Hi Paul,

That is an end of war discharge certificate with the King's signature preprinted. It is not connected to his MM, but is in VGC and nice to have.

Thanks Ivor, I’m learning all the time. I’m now in the process of trying to locate his medals, in particular his MM. I do know his Medal (MM) was sold by Spinks in 2013. 

1 hour ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Hi Paul,

Hi Ivor, I think Grandfather’s disability was due to him being gassed? 

It could well be. The disability discharge certificate ties in with him being issued with a Silver War Badge (see one of the previous posts re his SWB).

It looks like this and will have his SWB no. B91110 impressed on the back rim - in case you come across it!

s-l1600-64.jpg.84bfa49126a2d89f765439861c26f790.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

It could well be. The disability discharge certificate ties in with him being issued with a Silver War Badge (see one of the previous posts re his SWB).

Thanks Ivor, lots of things tying up… hence building a picture of his service.