Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2008.Pte. William Shedden 7th Scottish Rifles

Stevend

I am researching this soldier who was killed on the 28th June 1915.

What i would like to ask is where was this Regiment  in the Gallipoli campaign and what there losses were this day.

Also any personal information on pte Shedden would be appreciated.

Regards 

Steven.

Steven

Have a look at this previous post:  https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/73574-7th-8th-bns-cameronians-scottish-rifles/

and here:  https://astreetnearyou.org/regiment/211/Cameronians-(Scottish-Rifles)

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

Hi  Dave

Many thanks for the info 

Hi sadbrewer that was one of my requests for any personal information about him.

He served in the 5th battalion.

6 hours ago, Stevend said:

I am researching this soldier who was killed on the 28th June 1915.

What i would like to ask is where was this Regiment  in the Gallipoli campaign and what there losses were this day.

Also any personal information on pte Shedden would be appreciated.

Regards 

Steven.

The War Diary is available for download from the National Archives.

If you create an account prior to the download, there will be no charge (at present due to the pandemic).

Search results: WO 95 7 Cameronians | The National Archives

The WD for the month of June, 1915, includes a sketch map which may be helpful.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Pension record cards at WFA show his mother Mrs Isabella Shedden lived at 883 Govan Road, Govan, Glasgow.

:-) M

His is listed on the Glasgow Roll of Honour as:

SHEDDEN William Private Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) 883 Govan Road S

and on the Govan High School memorial at

The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project :: View topic - Govan High School WW1 (bizhat.com)

and on the Govan Elder Street Church memorial at

The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project :: View topic - Govan Old Church WW1 Memorials (bizhat.com)

Ken

The British Red Cross & Order Of St John Enquiry Lists, Wounded & Missing, 1914-1919, are transcribed on FMP; they record two entries for William Shedden (one enquiry on 30/8/1916, the other on 26/1/1915); both give him as a member of B Company, 7th Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) missing since 28/6/1915.

I'm afraid I don't know how these enquiries worked, but knowing he was in B Company might just be helpful when reading the battalion War Diary.

Pat,

the Red Cross enquiries were submitted by the families.  When the fate of a man was not certain ie. no body recovered and no definitive news of death or capture, the War Department would send a Telegram to the relative stating he was "Missing in Action".  The Red Cross (HQ in Switzerland and therefore a neutral party) was used by families to enquire with the Germans / Turks / Bulgarians on the missing man, to see if he was a Prisoner.  Often the family would put out more than 1 request for info, in the hope the man was still alive (I assume you meant 26/01/1916 for the 2nd date you quoted).   Sadly the answer, as in this case, would often be "Negatif envoye"  which roughly translates as No Word ie. no sign of the man being a POW and no info on his whereabouts.

Before the communication line via the Red Cross was set up, the families would place adverts in Newspapers enquiring if any of the man's comrades who had been in the same battle had any news of their fate.  This would actually continue after the RC was involved, as families who got no comeback from them, would be desperate for news.

The Red Cross records are an important piece of the story of the Great War.  I have used them a lot to get details on Cameronian POWs.

Cheers,

Smithy

Thanks Smithy, that's very helpful - I've come across the "negatif envoye' in the Red Cross POW records, but didn't put two-and-two together! Much appreciated.

pat