Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte H Lustig, 6th Btn. West Yorkshire Regiment

Bradford WW1 Group

Pte H Lustig is listed in 'C' Coy in Tempest's History of the 6th West Yorks.  We suspect he transferred in 1915 to RE as a 'chemical corporal'.  His full name was Herbert Rudolf Joel LUSTIG, b. 1895 in Bradford.  We can find no Medal Card and are wondering if he might have changed his name?

Any help more than welcome!

He was still in the 6th West Yorks in May 1915 -- report in the Bradford Weekly Telegraph published on 21 may 1915 (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Lustig.jpg.8eedde882b1fcc6a311860eb8cfd68ef.jpg

As he was in the thick of things in 1915, he would have been entitled to the 1914/15 Star as well as the VM and BM. Searches of Medal Index Cards and Medal Rolls has failed to find him as Lustig - as you suggest, he may have changed his name for some unknown reason.

Was his service number shown in the book that you mentioned?

Could he have risen to Lieut? There is a Pte. Herbert Lester with 1915 Star West Yorks from 16/4/1915. #2452. Medal Roll bumps him to Sgt. which is not noted on MIC.

Then RE Corporal #91692 later Lieut RE. Discharged to commission 19/9/1916.

This MIC has an odd 'Address' which may help (or not!). It says "Ten Minutes -" Rawdon via Leeds.

TEW

19 minutes ago, TEW said:

This MIC has an odd 'Address' which may help (or not!). It says "Ten Minutes -" Rawdon via Leeds.

TEW

Rawdon is a small village roughly half way between Leeds and Bradford. The 1911 Census records that the family were living at 14 Oak Lane, Bradford. Possible that the family relocated to nearby Rawdon.

Lt Herbert Lester's service papers are available (for a fee) at the National Archives. Unfortunately they are not digitised for download.

1138301053_LesterHerbert.jpg.73291dd01d0f5d04c9283648ca7f8850.jpg

TEW -- I think you have cracked it. The 1911 Census that I mentioned shows the family name as Lustig but the 'index' shows Lester crossed out and Lustig replacing it. (image courtesy of Ancestry)

416551054_LustigorLester.jpg.373fb80213b5d051a88c0fd2b73d9556.jpg

TEW might be on to something

Herbert Lester’s RE Number was 91692, which is a Special Brigade number. I have him in my SB data base with the following information:

Technical Chemist. Ranks 6 West York’s and Special Brigade. T 2Lt RE 19.9.16 . To No 3 (Mortar) Company, 5th Bn Special Brigade. To England sick 25.7.17.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Further evidence of change of name - Herbert R J Lester died in West Yorkshire in July 1933. He left a Will and the National Probate Calendar records that he died on the 20 July 1933 and his address was 10 Minutes, Rawdon. Probate was granted to George Herman Lester, Herbert had a brother called George Kirman Lustig.

1811920566_Lesterwill.jpg.8fdd811138130ab41397a5f1a6e1338a.jpg

(image courtesy of Ancestry)

Gentlemen

Many thanks for providing so much information so quickly - and on sound evidence!  We can confirm that Herbert's brother was George Herman (Kirman is a transcription error): he was only 8 in 1911 so played no part in the war, although might have joined the CCF at the Bradford Grammar School.

Herbert Lustig left BGS in 1911 to study chemistry for the wool/dyeing trade.  Three of his cousins (family name Wolf(f)) were fellow pupils who also served.

A note for TEW: Members of the WW1 Group are compiling a data base of men in 1/6th and 2/6th Btns (often overshadowed by interest in 'Pals') and will be happy to share with TEW.

Again, thankyou for excellent responses,

www.ww1bradford.org

Well, it seemed a long shot that's paid off. The address had me stumped but now confirmed by the probate record.

There may be naturalization records for him on London Gazette. Had a quick look and found another Lustig who changed to Lester in 1911.

A note for TEW: Members of the WW1 Group are compiling a data base of men in 1/6th and 2/6th Btns (often overshadowed by interest in 'Pals') and will be happy to share with TEW

Bradford WWI Group.

You may have seen from my signature that I have an interest in 2/6th & 8th West Yorks. My interest in the 2/6th is from July 1917 when my Grandfather transfered from KOYLI as 2nd I/C of 2/6th. Certainly think he remained with them through their disbanding and have a feeling he was still signing paperwork as 2/6th WY into summer 1918 although his appointment/position Feb-July 1918 has always been a bit odd.

My interest in 2/6th is therefore restricted to his time with them.

Wondering now what I have that may be of interest to you so could PM you once I've checked?

TEW

His father was naturalised in 1899 and was originally from Bohemia,

Tricia - dont publish an email address on the forum. Edit your post. You will get spammed. Use the message system to message TEW directly. 

Ten Minutes has been mentioned as an address for Lester. This is in fact the name of a house on Cragg Wood Drive Rawdon/Apperley Bridge. 

There is a Lieutenant Herbert Lester Royal Engineers enlisted Sept 1914 shown at 11 Mornington Villas Bradford on the city's roll of honour. The address is adjacent to Oak Lane mentioned earlier

Edited by ilkley remembers

Many thanks Edward!  In 1885 a guide book wrote of Cragg Wood: “Only natural that it should be specially sought after by the gentlemen in either of the two towns (i.e. Leeds and Bradford) whose commercial ventures have been attended with … a measure of success … The valley on each side of the line is dotted with fine buildings standing in well-wooded grounds, which when viewed by the traveller from his swiftly rolling seat afford an ever-varying panorama … and at the same time testifying more eloquently than words to the wealth and enterprise of the mercantile community.”