Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help from MIC experts

kingsman64

Dear all

David (Langleybaston1418) has suggested I post this here for a final review by the MIC experts out there. He has been very helpful on this thread

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=28825

Regarding the MIC below he says:

[bad news.

Regarding the BWM and VM they seemingly were returned for breaking up to DD Ord Stores under KR ref 1743, 'medals unclaimed after 10 years'.

Regarding the RWF 1914 stars I do not have the original reference identity for the roll, which might or might not be B4 83. It is possible that he was mistakenly put on another roll. Not an expert on RDC but difficult to imagine ANY RDC had legitimate claim to a 1914 star, so such a roll unlikely to exist.

However it seems likely, I fear, that none of these medals were issued to McGann.]

At Davids suggestion posting here to see if there are any other opinions.

Could there have been a double issue BWM/Victory with his RDC details on which where not claimed?

Regards

Paul

KINGSMAN64

post-31-1110138728.jpg

The 1914 Star was authorised in late 1917. By then, many of the soldiers eligible were serving in a different regiment to the one they were in when they qualified for the medal. Therefore, I would have thought that many members of the RDC were entitled, and a seperate roll for those applicants may well exist. The fact that the details were recorded on this type of Medal Card would suggest to me that a 1914 Star was issued.

The WO329 class description at the National Archives should identify the significance of the B4 code. I'll have a look when I'm next there, but it probably won't be until the beginning of April. 83 will be the page number.

Regards

Gavin

Could there have been a double issue BWM/Victory with his RDC details on which where not claimed?

Regards

Paul

KINGSMAN64

Hi Paul

I very much doubt that there was a double issue and as a Private they would have been sent to him automatically so there would have been no need to claim them.

Steve

Not an expert on RDC but difficult to imagine ANY RDC had legitimate claim to a 1914 star, so such a roll unlikely to exist.

Medals were often awarded FROM units that didn't serve Overseas,the Recipients having previously served in other units to qualify for their awards,though issued from that unit they were usually correctly issued named up to the original Regiment the Recipient served overseas with,it was just balancing the books,as it were,as they were serving with that unit @ the cessation of hostilities,when the rolls were being compiled.