Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Southern Hospital, Southmead Bristol

henryww1

My Grandfather was injured and sent to the 2nd Southern Hospital, Southmead Bristol to recover from injuries sustained in France.

Is there anyone that could provide details of this hospital and its usage during WW1 ?

Is there any record of the patients that were helped at this hospital that can be checked ?

A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy

There is a mention of 2nd Southern General Hospital, Southmead on this thread, bottom of page 4 https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/187-hospitals-in-the-united-kingdom/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-26615

My grandfather was in Ward 3 at the 2nd Southern General from 2 August to 11 September 1918 recovering from a broken ankle.

On 16/05/2021 at 15:29, HERITAGE PLUS said:

Interesting photos, unfortunately too early for my grandad's stay there, but they may coincide with Henry WW1's grandfather's stay. incidentally, I also know someone who's father was a patient there from 8 September 1918, so 2 or 3 days' overlap with my grandad, recovering from being wounded in action in France.

My grandad was originally diappointed to be sent to Bristol as his family were in Lancashire, but in the end he quite enjoyed his time there, and in his diary gives us thumbnail sketches of a few of his fellow patients (all officers, as presumably they were segregated in those days) and some of the members of staff. 

5 hours ago, A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy said:

Interesting photos, unfortunately too early for my grandad's stay there, but they may coincide with Henry WW1's grandfather's stay. incidentally, I also know someone who's father was a patient there from 8 September 1918, so 2 or 3 days' overlap with my grandad, recovering from being wounded in action in France.

My grandad was originally diappointed to be sent to Bristol as his family were in Lancashire, but in the end he quite enjoyed his time there, and in his diary gives us thumbnail sketches of a few of his fellow patients (all officers, as presumably they were segregated in those days) and some of the members of staff. 

I doubt the hospital was photographed on a daily basis.

Curiously, the hospital seems to have been situated across two sites.  They were given the newly-opened King Edward VII Memorial Wing of the Bristol Royal Infirmary in the centre of the city. The link johnboy posted in post 2 shows a photo of the outside of that. They were also  given Southmead Hospital on the northern edge of the city. The photos in post 5 by Heritage Plus show that. 

David.

21 hours ago, johnboy said:

I doubt the hospital was photographed on a daily basis.

I apologise if I have somehow managed to give the impression that I believed that the hospital would have been photographed on a daily basis - I fully realise that the hospital, and, more particularly, its patients and staff, would have featured in only occasional photographs, so that you would be extremely lucky indeed if a person in whom you were interested happened to be in one of the photographs in the link given by Heritage Plus, most of which - particularly those featuring people - seem to have been taken in 1914 or 1915. In fact, I had originally thought that all the photographs featuring people were 1914/15, but, after all, I think that one is undated.

Incidentally, my grandfather has included in his diary four photographs taken at the hospital, mainly of the nursing staff, not very good quality, I am afraid, but if anyone is interested in the nursing staff at the hospital I will be happy to supply copies.

It was just a jokey comment meaning it does not matter what year the pics were taken. They still give an idea of the place he was in.

On 19/05/2021 at 01:26, johnboy said:

They still give an idea of the place he was in.

They do indeed, sorry to misinterpret your joke. In fact, now that @David26 has told us that there were two sites, I can visualise even more clearly the place where my grandad was, as he was definitely at Southmead,, so he could very easily have been one of those in the group shown in photograph 4 or lined up on the balcony or below the balcony on photograph 6 on the nhs link posted by @HERITAGE PLUS, though I don't think that he is.

Edited by A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy