Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform query

Margaret Roy

40 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I forgot to say that the RMO would not have worn A&SH regimental uniform as far as I know (I’ve certainly never seen it) and so would have been dressed in RAMC uniform.  The cap badge visible on the glengarry is sufficiently large to be made out as A&SH.

A fair point Frogsmile but Hugh Colligan Donald was peculiar in that he was a medical man and he was an A&SH (Volunteer and Territorial) holding medical appointments within the A&SH TF broad church.  He did not transfer to the RAMC until 1917 (Major A&SH to Lt Col RAMC) so he would not have been entitled/worn the RAMC badge before that date.  

More recently I have first hand knowledge of attached officers (RAMC, REME, RAPC) all wearing Highland dress in 1 QO HLDRS but as you rightly say their parent badge was worn on the Glengarry.

On 17/05/2021 at 09:38, TullochArd said:

A fair point Frogsmile but Hugh Colligan Donald was peculiar in that he was a medical man and he was an A&SH (Volunteer and Territorial) holding medical appointments within the A&SH TF broad church.  He did not transfer to the RAMC until 1917 (Major A&SH to Lt Col RAMC) so he would not have been entitled/worn the RAMC badge before that date.  

More recently I have first hand knowledge of attached officers (RAMC, REME, RAPC) all wearing Highland dress in 1 QO HLDRS but as you rightly say their parent badge was worn on the Glengarry.

Thank you TullochArd, that’s very interesting regarding Maj/Lt Col Donald and I have known of similar cases in connection with the Territorials.  As regards more recent times, yes I’ve seen similar even before QO Hldrs were formed by merger. It was of course a common way to try and achieve some degree of regimental cohesion, not to mention a uniformity in the appearance of formed bodies.

Edited by FROGSMILE

43 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you TullochArd, that’s very interesting regarding Maj/Lt Col Donald and I have known of similar cases in connection with the Territorials.  As regards more recent times, yes I’ve seen similar even before QOH were formed by merger. It was of course a common way to try and achieve some degree of regimental cohesion, not to mention a uniformity in the appearance of formed bodies.

...... just tried to PM you Frogsmile but you are "not receiving" at the moment - InBox full?

Just now, TullochArd said:

...... just tried to PM you Frogsmile but you are "not receiving" at the moment - InBox full?

Yes, sorry I need to do a clear out but have been distracted.  Will pm you when sorted...

Thanks again - I posted the photo on a WW1 Facebook page as well and one of the responses reckoned that the photo could have been taken in Greece