Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 British Helmet Marking

Richie Rich

Greetings Forum from a sunny South Africa. I recently obtained my first WW1 Brodie and two things were instantly noticeable. Firstly, comparing it with a WW11 helmet I was surprised in how light and seemingly flimsy these helmets are and I doubt whether they actually served of any great protection to the poor wearer....secondly, I did see that there was a mark of some sort painted on the side and what seemed like a black line painted around the head rim.....I am assuming this was done for either Regimental reasons or Company reasons? I have posted three pics for the forums viewing pleasure and comments if anyone can possibly shed some light.

IMG_8835.JPG.d40d357d7dece573d368652fb20f497e.JPG

IMG_8836.JPG.7f80bda7418d3d61108a1e872cb7c2a3.JPG

IMG_8838.JPG.17925af9919b57fba183c4dc4c20be64.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have subsequently found out that the above helmet is a South African Mk I helmet marked to the 4th South African Infantry Regiment (SA Scottish). The black ring identifies the Regiment and wearer as being part of the 9th Division.

Just to let you know someone's reading this! Very interesting, it made me look up the 9th Division.

Acknown

nice find  thanks for posting

regards

Bob R.

Appreciated.....thank you....

Richie,

I am a little surprised at your comment of “seemingly flimsy “.

Do you have an actual weight comparison between this and a WW2 example?

Regards,

JMB

Evening Colonel. That's a negative unfortunately....only my opinion/observation when holding them and comparing....perhaps the fact that my WW2 ones are in better nick than the WW1 in particular the inner....might just lend some bearing to my comment....Regards.

Good evening,

here is a soldier of the 4th S.A.I. taken at the back front of Arras in early 1917.

521372803_4thSouthAfricanInfantry.jpg.ff7216607a2e9084de2673da43ec6e20.jpg

Kind regards

Michel

Epic photo. Thank you. It certainly captures the mood !!!!! Appreciated Michel.

• 7 months later...

Michel,

I've only just picked up on your post so apologies for not sharing sooner! I actually did a blog post (which you may have seen?) about the South African helmet markings in WW1. You can find it here if you're interested! https://metcalfemilitaryhistory.co.uk/2020/07/04/steel-helmets-of-the-great-war-south-african-infantry/

All the best,

Elliot