Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Rifle Brigade - 56th Division - The Corps of the Rifle Brigade

zalipie

Still struggling to follow the 1/5 London Regiment/London Rifle Brigade on its way through WW1 I was under the impression that, after the constitution of 56th Division in February 1916, the LRB was a permanent unit in the ORBAT of 56th Division. The following quote I found in https://www.wikiwand.com/en/London_Rifle_Brigade :

" On 10 February 1916 it [the LRB]  moved again, into 169th Brigade, part of 56th (London) Division. It was transferred to the corps of the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own) on 7 July the same year, though it still also remained a battalion of the London Regiment."

Can anybody tell me about the significance of this?

kind regards

Ulrich

Ulrich,

In an Army Order (250) of 1916 several battalions of the London Regiment became Territorial battalions of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and the Rifle Brigade. The LRB were firstly placed as a territorial battalion of the KRRC, however a few months later in Army Order (325) the LRB became a territorial battalion/affiliate to the Rifle Brigade.

Not 100% positive of the battalions went to the KRRC, but the 5th, 8th, 10th 17th, 25th and 28th London Regiment became Rifle Brigade Territorial battalions. After these Army Orders were enacted you will find plenty of Rifle Brigade men being placed in these battalions, some keeping their Rifle Brigade numbers as attached, other being absorbed in the LRB and given London Regiment numbers. After the war a lot of LRB men went into the RB for demobilisation purposes.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Thank you, Andy! But I am still not quiet clear: did the affiliation of 1/5 London Regimen (LRB) to the Rifle Brigade in 1916 influence in any way its attachment to the ORBAT of the 56th Division?

Regards - Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,

No not at all, however the LRB were with the 1st Rifle Brigade in the 4th Division after they arrived at Havre 5/11/14, until they became GHQ troops and formed a composite  btn with 1/12th, 1/13th until Aug 15. 25th Oct 15 to 8th Brigade, 3rd Division and on 10/2/16 to 169th Brigade, 56th Div where they remained for the rest of the war. Hope that helps

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853