Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt F.W.Atherton(MC) - circumstances of his RAF death in Mesopotamia

davidbohl

Lt Francis Wright Atherton MC RAF CWGC

I'm hoping to fill in the gaps for this former KLR man who was shot down in Mesopotamia in 1918.

Firstly is it possible to get an accurate dob for him in Alexandra, Egypt around 1896 ?

Secondly what kind of aircraft he was in, and circumstances of his death would be most helpful.

Many Thanks

Dave 

Hi Dave

Given 19 years and 206 days on date of enlistment on 4/9/1914, how about dob 18th Feb 1895?

Hope I've remembered my schoolboy maths!

Kind Regards

Derek

Thanks for replies all,

Derek, you spotted my problem with his dob as he was born in Alexandria, the F/Tree go for 1895, the newspapers quote he was 21 when he died, also Birkenhead News

"Temporary Lieutenant Francis Wright Atherton RFA, Park Road, West Kirby, was awarded the Military Cross as mentioned in issue of the 26th inst. Educated at Sedbergh, he joined the new army and received his commission at 17. In his 18th year he was promoted to First Lieutenant and at 19 was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous bravery in the field."

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

I thought about a false age on enlistment, especially as he describes himself as a student, but the declared age is so detailed, plus his OTC experience, made me think that the consequences of lying on an enlistment form, to an obviously aspiring officer, may be too great. 

Having said that, Sedbergh School (which he left in 1913) has him as aged 21 when killed and I would concede my poor maths to their records!

Kind Regards

Derek

@rflory may be able to help with Sedbergh Register, which ought to have his DOB

This is coming on well now, thanks

On Chesterboy's screenshot his combatants were FAb13 and Ja1F, were they the plane regno's ?

• Admin
On 15/05/2021 at 22:59, Swinesheadvillage said:

I thought about a false age on enlistment, especially as he describes himself as a student, but the declared age is so detailed, plus his OTC experience, made me think that the consequences of lying on an enlistment form, to an obviously aspiring officer, may be too great. 

An officer could be granted a commission from the age of seventeen, and many responded to an advertisement in the The Times in August 1914 and syndicated to other newspapers which I've previously posted on the GWF. Sorry about the quality.

The expectation was they would not go on active service until aged eighteen.  It was considered that unlike the working classes (nineteen) their education would better prepare them for the rigours of war at that age. The most important qualification it appears, anecdotally, was attendance at the 'right public schools' and the right connections.  Service ineither the junior or senior OTC was obviously a consideration as the advertisement illustrates.

1869738752_TemporaryCommissions.png.2653d5d4a39dd9e1a7e7e25e8863bbe0.png

• Admin

As he is listed in the Consular Birth Records on FMP (Archive Reference BCON 1896 Volume 10 page 647 line 2) I would imagine you just need to use the GRO references to apply for his birth certificate on line.  Not done it myself for an overseas birth but there is a guide on the Gov UK website.

Here's a clearer one Ken

From the BNA

YorkshirePost_1914Aug10.png.8578a1134b23898538e42b88b2a2cfdd.png

I can't add much, but I think he was an Observer, not a Pilot.

(but you probably already knew?).

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

2 hours ago, davidbohl said:

This is coming on well now, thanks

On Chesterboy's screenshot his combatants were FAb13 and Ja1F, were they the plane regno's ?

I think they are German squadron number.  I think the author of the book, may have further information