Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

From attesting to the Front in 24 days

David26

The Short Service Attestation of R. Stephen Waldron (copied below, courtesy of TNA) shows that he attested on 1 September 1914, at which time he confirmed that he had not served in the military before.  Nevertheless, he was sent to France as a Private to join his new unit -16th (The Queen's) Lancers - a little over 3 weeks later on 25 September and appears to have been one of a group of 4 officers, 185 men and 226 horses which joined the regiment at Limé two days later.

It seems likely that his younger brother, Raymond Waldron, did the same thing - he too went to France on the 25th as a Private in the 16th Lancers and the two brothers both subsequently applied successfully for commissions in the RFA SR and were commissioned on 11 October 1915 - though I have not had a chance to look at his service record at TNA to confirm his attestation date or prior military experience.  It is interesting to note though that the service number crossed out on Stephen Waldron's papers below was the number allocated to his brother (7054).

Their father was a gentleman farmer, so presumably both were experienced horsemen and may have been familiar with shooting.  But if they were new to the military, there would still be a lot of things in which they would need to be trained.

I'm not at all familiar with the training regimen for the cavalry but wondered if anyone knew if such a short gap between enlisting and being sent to the front as an ordinary Private soldier in the cavalry was unusual at that time in the war?

David.

1172841103_Waldron2LtRS(3).JPG.93e15e3c98bfa4e9b7ec1c75123d20f0.JPG

Interesting, possible he effective with a horse and rifle already

Ancestry shows DCM in LG 3rd June 1915

for gallantry in holding back the enemy from advancing along our trench.  By his prompt and effective fire he saved the squadron on his right from coming under engulfing fire

His Trade was Tea Planter.

Perhaps he had some training/experience in the Empire of riding and shooting?

8 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Perhaps he had some training/experience in the Empire of riding and shooting?

..and pig sticking and polo?

Edited by charlie962

Which one is Raymond Stephen Waldron? He is noted thus  on British in Argentina- MC, DCM Lt RFA, Russian St George.  If in Argentina prewar (tea ??) then almost certain to have horse experience.

Edit I assume it is 7061 because he has a 1915 DCM citation with 16L

Just to add to confusion there is Reginald S Waldron also farmer in Argentina. aged 43 in 1919 whilst younger brother Raymond aged 36. Did British in Argentina get confused ?

Edited by charlie962

3 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Which one is Raymond Stephen Waldron? He is noted on British in Argentina- MC, DCM Lt RFA, Russian St George.  If in Argentina prewar (tea ??) then almost certain to have horse experience.

Edit I assume it is 7061 because he has a 1915 DCM citation with 16L

Thank you all, and yes, Charlie, Reginald Stephen Waldron is the one.  He certainly had a lot of business dealings in South America after the war - I am less certain of his activities before though.  

But even if he was used to riding, shooting and pig-sticking, I am still amazed that he was thought ready to go to the Front as a Private in a cavalry regiment which would be doing reconnaissance, scouting, charging, rearguard actions etc all subject to military discipline, and I just wonder how many others in that cadre of 185 men who went out on 25 September had a similarly short period of training before they went to war?

D.

At least two other 16th Lancers Officers in 'British in Argentina'

Robertson, James Huntly MC Captain 16th Lancers   (b 1874, served SouthAfrica 1899-1902. Even has an RAF Svc Record)

Walker, CE    Captain, 16th Lancers.

Edited by charlie962