Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Reginald Byram - "Croix De Guerre"

Ray Tomlinson

Currently looking at the husband of my 3C3R - Sergeant Reginald Byram - 201989 - South Lancs Regiment.

In 1919, he was in correspondence with the MoD in relation to the Croix de Guerre he had been awarded - looks like he'd been awarded it but he wanted some paperwork to explain why. The MoD couldn't help him as the matter had been dealt with entirely by the French and I'm at something of a loss myself to know where to start looking.

Wikipaedia has a list to WW1 recipients but he's not on it. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Ray

Ray

I suggest Warrington Library for the local papers. His nok town in the LG is shown as Warrington. Check into 1919 because medals were sometimes presented by the Mayor. CDGs were sometimes given to those who had done good work but had not been rewarded.

I checked the 57 Div A&QMG WD but there are no Routine Orders which might show Honours and Rewards. There may be lists in the Corps A&QMG WDs.

According to the Medal Rolls he served in 2/4 South Lancashire Regt (172 Infantry Brigade of 57 Division). 

Brian

11 hours ago, Ray Tomlinson said:

Currently looking at the husband of my 3C3R - Sergeant Reginald Byram - 201989 - South Lancs Regiment.

Wikipaedia has a list to WW1 recipients but he's not on it. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray

There were over 5500 Croix de Guerre Gazetted for WW1.

You will notice the LG has his name as Byrom.

Peter

From The St Helens Examiner, October 12th, 1918.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive 

Screenshot_20210515-092638.jpg.f80aa324c063014c553eca104e9b687f.jpg

I'm assuming you've seen his service record, but if,not the CdG was awarded on 10/10/1918.

From The Examiner 21st June 1919.

Screenshot_20210515-101807.jpg.b8c9001fde807d777e7b796341842735.jpg

Thanks everyone for the information, I think that's as far as I need to go. it seems, from his service record, that even he wasn't fully aware of the reasons for the award.

In case anyone elso comes across this thread in the future, his name was definitely BYRAM rather than BYROM and this is confirmed by all other records for him between his birth in 1896 and his death in 1957

Thanks again.