Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Sgt RASC

jeffb

Hi every one ,

I am trying to find information on this chap  Bounds J  sgt  RASC.  I cannot find him in service doc's, pension card, or medal card. I belive that he survived the war. The only other info l have on him is that he may have lived in Monxton Hampshire as he is mentioned on the IWM Mermorial Register. l have even tried to locate him on the 1901, 1911 census but no luck, I must be missing some thing some where!! 

TIA  jeffb 

Ok.

Basics first.

He's documented on the IWM Memorial Register as follows:

• Bounds, J
    Memorial: St Marys Church Plaque (WMR 21496), Monxton, Hampshire

Is St. Mary's Church plaque where you came across him?

The 'J' might have been a second name, as in this man:

William John Bounds, Pte. Remounts, ASC, seems to have served the whole war in Andover.

I know Andover isn't Monxton, and he was only a private, nevertheless....

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1114/images/miuk1914a_083397-00918?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=16e3ca04eba9f8f80d549314db3cc074&usePUB=true&_phsrc=uDB65&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=65332

The picture on the link above shows a HH Bounds in the RN in WW2. He was born in 1911. His mother's maiden name was Daniels and shes seems to be married to Walter James Bounds. There is a Walter Bounds Sgt in ASC.  M2/193714.

There is a Walter James Bound in the 1939 list living on Monxton Road, Andover. Dob 12/7/1877. Originally from Northants

edit

WJB appears in Monxton in electoral roll thoughout the 1920s. Appears to die 1961

This is the family in 1911 where WJB is identified as a groom

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBC%2F1911%2FRG14%2F06328%2F0003&parentid=GBC%2F1911%2FRG14%2F06328%2F0003%2F1

A fit for ASC

edit 

His son was Herbert Henry killed on HMS Foylebank 4/7/1940. 

Unfortunately to date I can find no records apart from the medal ones

There is also a L/Cpl JW Bounds M/17445 and M/63100 but above seems more likely

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks for your responce to my query,

I think that DByS has hit the mark as Walter is my grand father and Harry is his son, and yes i did find it on the church plaque.

It would appear that someone has not put the correct info on the (WMR21496), which does throw one a left curve when trying to nail down info on subjects.

Thanks for all your help in this, another problem solved.

1 hour ago, jeffb said:

I think that DByS has hit the mark as Walter is my grand father

That's very kind, but it was Mark1959 that dug out the information from Monxton.