Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Different Headstones German soldiers

Marilyne

Good evening all, 

I'm pretty sure the question has already popped up somewhere around here, but I haven't found any thread about it... 

We were at Dunhallow ADS today and our German comrade noticed that one of the German headstones had another  and I was completely at a loss as to why that is... 

Can somebody enlighten us?? 

DSC05484.JPG.bc241357dd60993e45b56dfe14de1c18.JPG

Greets from Wipers !!!! 

M.

The straight ones are the old Belgian ones, the one on the right is a new general one (used in France and in Belgium). Because of the consequences of the Versailles Treaty, Germany had different caretakers of its graves in Belgium and France. This led to having to negociate with the then IWGC in the two countries about the headstones for the Germans. In Belgium, the Germans chose the straight stone with two names (to reduce costs).

As since ca 1970 IIRC the care for German war graves in both France and Belgium went to the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge, they have now opted to use a standard type of headstone in both Belgium and France with deeper cut letters. This means the straight ones wil phase out probably within some years.

Jan

Dank U, Jan!! 

We all have learnt something new today. 

Thanks from the BGFT. 

M.