Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

training with division

ryandunny

Hi all. 

I have a relative who was with the 108th Brigade then 106th Brigade RFA during the war.

he enlisted in Feb 1915 and I have a couple of newspaper articles that refer to his training one says

'he trained near Glasgow and the South of England' and another ' he enlisted in February 1915 training at Farnborough, Glasgow and Deepcut.'

I know he was in Glasgow in May 1915 because I have a poster from a concert he sang at there at the time. but I was wondering if anyone knew if this was consistent with the movements of the 24th Division at the time? as I can't see those places named in any of the sources I've seen.. 

thanks in advance, 

Ryan

17 hours ago, ryandunny said:

'he trained near Glasgow and the South of England' and another ' he enlisted in February 1915 t

Let LongLongTrail be your guide.

Initial training would be done  first at a Depot.  No6 Depot was Glasgow. One of the Reserve Brigades was also there. See here on LongLong Trail

From same page 3C Reserve Bde was at Deepcut

LongLongTrail also says 24th Division went to Aldershot in June 1915 for final training before moving to France Sept 1915.

You haven't said when your relative went overseas.

Have you looked at the War Diaries for the 108th Bde ? WO 95/2197/5   Normally there is mention of where they were just before departure. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

-Brigade entrained at Farnborough 30/8/15, being at Deepcut at the time.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

thank you Charlie!! I know he personally disembarked on 31st August 1915. I believe he was on leave around the 13th August when his daughter was born as he was the informant on her birth certificate on that date so would have left for France very soon after meeting her for the first time. Sadly he'd only see her once more on leave before he was killed in August 1917 as described in Major Ralph Hamiltons war diary 'The Master Of Belhaven.'

1 hour ago, ryandunny said:

as described in Major Ralph Hamiltons war diary 'The Master Of Belhaven.'

Excellent book.

It is Charlie. It’s one of my favourites regardless but my great grandad is called ‘Bath’ in the book. Ralph Hamilton’s Batman. We have a signed photo of Ralph   in the family and there’s a letter from His wife saying nothing effected him more during the war than sams (Baths) death and that they were together night  and day since Loos so the book is quite special to me!