Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Forces Research

GJW

Hi all,

Can anybody direct me as to how to search for men who served with the South Africans? I have a reference to a John Doyle who served from my area of research.

A very long shot I know but such is the work we do :)

Many thanks in advance.

Gerard

Cheers Ken.

This might look promising (ish) but unfortunately nothing to confirm either way. Bar he served in an Irish regiment there.. This is a needle in a haystack for sure..

image.png.2e302a4e7bf6bb074a24626690c48829.png

Gerard,

There are 3 pension cards for him on Fold 3. There ire index records on Ancestry. You would need to subscribe to see them, or become a member of the Western Front Association.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Alf,

I actually have WFA membership but school boy error not to check for SA forces. So picked that up thank you. 

I still need to try place him from Ireland - indeed Castledermot or District....

image.png.2a54abb622a9492c5c1a41636e5c6af1.png

The familysearch website have his death notice. death certificate and probate papers, but unusually there is no reference to parents or siblings, only that he was born Ireland. Probate includes birth & baptism details for children.

Death Notice: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WC94-T9T2

Probate & Death Certificate: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPWY-4X2Z

(You'll need to scroll through the page numbers at the top of the document image - with the probate one it opens up about half-way through).

It also has his civil marriage register entry, but the format of these does not include parent details. Wife was Violet Henrietta Kathleen - presumably reversed some of her forenames for the pension claim.

Marriage: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6ZH5-XG2L

A son and wife "Violet Hetty" turn up on the 1911 Census of England at Acton, Middlesex. The actiual document isn't very helpful - Violet has completed the census return for 2 Derwentwater Road, Acton, West London, but then says she is the mother of the head of the family. She also states she has been married 11 years, (the couple married in 1903) and that the marriage has produced "3 children, of which 1 was alive and 4 were dead" !

Hope that helps,

Peter

Cheers Peter. The census info seems like it was all over the place.

At least I know he is Irish. Now I got to see if I can pinpoint him to a very small village in Ireland. I have a couple of Boirth certs that match is age from the village. But unfortunately Doyle is a common name in this part.

Gerard

I do not think John Henry Doyle is my man after all. On the 1916 roll of honour I have for the district, my John Doyle was recorded as being with  the South African Police . I know they did serve in places during in WW1. Does anyone have any pointers to how to investigate  the South African Police during this period. Below is from a ships manifest coming in to Southampton (from SA) in November 1925. 

Thanks again,

Gerard

image.png.2380e39b382b991f0139ec84539f8eb8.png