Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Russell Worcestershire Regiment

StephenFord

9 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Thank you @FROGSMILE I have been searching as you suggest.
I’ve posted a new topic regarding my grandfather and the RGA. I’m hoping to avail myself of your interest in uniforms and insignia. Please take a look.

I’m glad to help Stephen and have made some comments in your other thread as requested.

On 13/05/2021 at 04:35, kenf48 said:

1901 missing (haven't time now to check military census)

Hi Ken,

I believed there was no military census prior to the Great War. Where would I locate the 1901 census?

Stephen

• Admin
59 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Hi Ken,

I believed there was no military census prior to the Great War. Where would I locate the 1901 census?

Stephen

There is no  record of soldiers who were in South Africa, or any other overseas garrison when the 1901 Census was taken. The Anglo-Boer war records 1899-1902 on FMP have 408 entries for Russell, these include the Medal Rolls.

You are correct there was no military census as such but soldiers at home in barracks were enumerated in the normal way for establishments.  

Soldiers serving  in the Worcestershire Regiment stationed  at Norton Barracks Worcester are listed  RG13/2793

If you have access to FMP it starts here

I can’t see him listed.

Any other Battalion of the Regiment stationed in the U.K. would also have been enumerated as an establishment.  

Overseas establishments were first enumerated in 1911 and the topic has been discussed here on a few occasions.