Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Gloucester Hussars at El Burj - December 1st 1917

Eran Tearosh

I'm quite certain that the small scale, yet sharp battle of El Burj was discussed in GWF in the past, but I can't find it (I live 5 minutes drive away from the battlefield). Anyway, it is a fascinating battle, as it demonstrates better than most other places what a 'World War' means - Heroic deeds of both attackers and defenders; Australians, English & Scots  join hands in holding back a Turkish/German Storm Battalion; Artillery support for the small composite British force was supplied by British and Indian batteries while the attacking force was supported by artillery as well (Turkish? Austrian? German?). 

Over the years I collected many pieces of information about this small scale operation that even yielded a V.C. - that of Second Lieutenant Stanley Henry Parry Boughey, of the 1/4 Royal Scots Fusiliers. Yet, I missed something so far - accurate details of the involvement of the 1st Royal Gloucester Hussars. I know that 48 of them, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Palmer, climbed the the hill right away as a reinforcement to the small Australian force already there, and played a crucial role in the success of the defense. The BOH (Falls) doesn't mention the casualties of the British side (Except Boughey, and even that is not described correctly...). In the AOH (Gullett) "and the yeomanry three men wounded". That was my assumption so far, but it turns out to be wrong. 

I stumbled over this link a few weeks ago: https://www.warslastgoodbyes.com/post/highnam-gloucestershire

I'm referring to the first name - Lieutenant Herbert Pearce Ellis. His story is interesting, but, to my surprise, I noticed his date of death and put things together. He and at least one other soldier were killed in action that day. Strange - Lieutenant Ellis & Private Baker are commemorated at the Jerusalem Memorial, while the fallen Australians were recovered and put to rest in Ramleh War Cemetery. There is a third Gloucestershire Yeoman, Bence Cox, whose date of death is recorded as December 1st 1917, and is buried in Ramleh War Cemetery. CWGC records simply states the date of death, but there is no mention such as ' Killed in action'.  Was he killed at El Burj? Did he die in hospital, and of so - from wounds or from disease?  

Searching deeper, I found that the 3rd Light Horse Brigade War Diary entry for 1st December 1917 states the Gloucester Yeomanry casualties were 1 Officer and 1 Other Ranks killed, and 4 Other Ranks wounded.  

So, I'm trying to find as much as I can about the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry during this action:

Does anyone have a copy of the book The History of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry, 1898–1922: The Great Cavalry Campaign in Palestine? If so, I'd love to read about this event (I'm trying to put my hands on copy of this book).

Does anyone have access to the RGHY War Diary (November 30th - December 1st, 1917)?

Is there anyone here with connections with Gloucestershire? I want to try to find photos of the fallen, especially of Lieutenant Ellis. 

Thanks, Eran

19 minutes ago, Eran Tearosh said:

There is a third Gloucestershire Yeoman, Bence Cox, whose date of death is recorded as December 1st 1917, and is buried in Ramleh War Cemetery. CWGC records simply states the date of death, but there is no mention such as ' Killed in action'.  Was he killed at El Burj? Did he die in hospital, and of so - from wounds or from disease?  

Soldiers Died in the Great War records Private 235137 Bence Cox, Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, as Killed in Action. He is shown as born and resident Yate, enlisted Lordbury.

CWGC adds that he was with "B" Squadron.  I'm not finding anything readily for him in the online British Newspaper Archive so far.

There is a low quality image of him on the Lives of First World War site - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/988033

Source is stated to be "Roll of Honour, Yate's Response to the Call", printed in the Bristol Times and Mirror newspaper, 22/1/16, listing those who had responded to the call of King and Country.

The Soldiers Died in the Great War entry for Private 235365 William Matthew Baker however records him as having Died of Wounds. Presumably his grave must subsequently have been lost. He was resident Castleton, near Cardiff.

Lieutenant Herbert Pearce Ellis is also shown on CWGC as B Squadron. He was the "Son of Henry Arthur and Caroline Anne Ellis, of Highnam, Gloucester".

Has a number of newspaper mentions, but no picture with them.

I can't find a Casualty List with Cox and Baker on it - I was looking to see if it also listed any wounded from the unit. Perhaps others will have better luck.

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you Peter!

As the number of Gloucester Yeomen that joined the battle was 48, it's likely they were all from the same squadron, B. 

A bit odd that Bence Cox, one of those Killed In Action, is buried in Ramleh, as he must have been buried first somewhere near the battlefield, together with Ellis. How come Cox was discovered and removed to Ramleh and Ellis was not found? Bare in mind that the bodies of the Australians who were Killed In Action during this battle were recovered and are buried in Ramleh.

However, Baker is even a bigger mystery - being wounded, he would have been evacuated to the southern slope of El Burj Hill, where the Dressing Station was (There are quite a few Australian photos of that dressing station. The battle itself took place on the next hill to the north of El Burj). Baker most probably died of his wounds there, and if not there - he would have been evacuated to a hospital in nearby Ramleh. This means that his first burial would have been together with the other Gloucester Yeomen who fell in this battle, Cox & Ellis, or in Ramleh. Anyway, the fact that his burial place is lost is odd (As is the lost burial place of Ellis). 

Of course I am fully aware of the enormous amount of those whose graves were never recovered - That's what the Jerusalem Memorial (A part of the Jerusalem War Cemetery) is all about, over 3,300 names (Including Ellis & Baker, on Panel 3). Many of them were buried along the historical main road to Jerusalem, the Mountain Pass of Beth Horon - The Yeomanry Mounted Division (And several other formations after them) fought along that route and left behind many graves that were never recovered. Still, the El Burj case (At the foot of the Mountain Pass) is different. There were a Brigade & Divisional H.Q.'s there for quite some time, and it remained in British hands. As I wrote - odd.

Eran  

Edited by Eran Tearosh

Sadly the WD isn't digitised.

WO 95/4565

2 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Sadly the WD isn't digitised.

WO 95/4565

Yes, I know. 'Only' the Western Front War Diaries were digitised.

There might be copies at the Gloucester Archives.

The book I mentioned at the end of post #1 might include some info. Hope someone has it

I thought I was just going to close down a few lines of enquiry from my earlier post but it turned into something a little bit more. Please bear with me :)

Private 235137 Bence Cox has no obvious Soldiers Will or Civil Probate held by the UK Probate Service – sometimes the information attached to these documents can  be surprisingly helpful about place of death.

It’s the same situation for Private 235365 William Matthew Baker.

As an officer a Soldiers Will, (a page from a soldiers paybook), wasn’t an option for Lieutenant Herbert Pearce Ellis. If he was initially classed as missing it could be a year and a day before he was formally accepted as dead. Whatever the reason there seems to have been a delay as his will covering his effects in the UK wasn’t dealt with until 1920. The entry in that years Probate Calendar simply records that he died in Palestine on the 1st December 1917.

1581024423_HerbertEllis1920ProbateCalendarentrysourcedprobatesearchservicegovuk.png.b664418a7e25f0056c0259c06766a582.png

(Image courtesy UK Government Probate Service) https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Ellis&yearOfDeath=1920&page=3#calendar

Which also throws up an oddity. If he was legally believed to have died on the 1st December 1917, why when his parents died in the 1940’s did they have the 8th December 1917 shown as his date of death on their headstone? (see the pictures on the Highnam article).

There is a nice dedication in the Botanical Garden where he worked, which gives the place of death as El Burj, Palestine and the date as the 1st December 1917, aged 31.

https://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/honour-avenues-plaques/2459-lt-herbert-ellis

He is not however on the Bridgetown, Western Australia War Memorial.

https://vwma.org.au/explore/places/2445303/people

Indexes to the Wills & Probates for the State of Western Australia covering the period 1832 to 1989 are currently being transcribed by the familysearch website, so more information may become available via that route.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Australia,_Western_Australia,_Supreme_Court_Probate_Records_Index_-_FamilySearch_Historical_Records

As his 1914/15 Star would have been issued by the Australian authorities I also checked out his service file with them, in case there was any post-death correspondence but there is none.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=3540789&isAv=N

There is at least one month of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars War Diary – February 1917 – held at the Australian War Memorial. Reference is “Cavalry Item number 9/6/1 Part 1 Title 1st Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry, Imperial Mounted Division”.

https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/awm-media/collection/RCDIG1002408/bundled/RCDIG1002408.pdf

And that in turn led me to the diary from February 1917 to here June 1918 here:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1338826

Not all the months have been scanned but December 1917 has.

1765787735_RoyalGlosterYeomanyWarDiary1stDecember1916sourcedAustralianWarMemorial.png.fc38d7d596462d318253bab1682bd702.png

(Image courtesy Australian War Memorial)

While trying to look for more from the Diary I then came across this site – and saw Herbert Pearce Ellis is recorded as having Died of Wounds.

https://alh-research.tripod.com/Light_Horse/index.blog?topic_id=1112522

Checking out the Cross of Sacrifice, the Officers equivalent of Soldiers Died in the Great War, Lieutenant Ellis is also shown there as Died of Wounds. So looks like it is the two men who died of wounds, Ellis and Baker, whose graves have been lost. However, this is obviously at odds with the narrative in the War Diary.

Hope that helps,

Peter

If you are following up the wounded, note that 32298 P A Ponting as actually 42298 Percy Allen Pontin.

He has a surviving Service Record showing he was wounded 1/12/17, admitted 2/12 to "Aus Rec Stat" with shrapnel wound skull but rejoined unit next day. He was demobbed in 1919.

Charlie

Peter,

Wow! That's tremendous help!

Never thought of searching AWM for Yeomanry WD's! The entry gives a few details that helps to set right the order of events that long night. 

I never looked at the angles of Wills & Probates before. New and interesting to me (Of course, anyone who served in a western army signed such a will, myself included). As to the case of Ellis - The idea that he and Baker, dying from wounds and buried separately from those who were Killed In Action (And later removed to Ramleh) and that these graves were never found later makes sense, but contradicts the WD. Another possible explanation to the delay about Ellis's probate might be related to the Red Tape mess around Ellis's transfer from the AIF to the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry (Just a thought). There's a bunch of dozens of documents about his transfer. 

Charlie,

Many thanks! I'll try to look up Pontin.

Still hope someone can help with photos of the fallen Gloucestershire Yeomen (Especially Ellis), and with the book The History of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry, 1898–1922: The Great Cavalry Campaign in Palestine.

Eran

17 minutes ago, Eran Tearosh said:

History of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry

Copy for sale here for £20 - not sure what postage will be, depending where you are: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000S6K6CI/ref=olp_aod_redir_impl1?_encoding=UTF8&aod=1

Ouch.

44 minutes ago, Eran Tearosh said:

Still hope someone can help with photos of the fallen Gloucestershire Yeomen (Especially Ellis),

The Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum did run an enquiry service, though it is currently suspended.

How can we help?

We hold many unique records within our archive, such as:

• Officer’s records (which can be combined with Officer’s data held in our archive)
  • Enlistment records
  • Photographs (Predominantly WWI)
  • Newspapers
  • Regimental journals (such as ‘The Sphinx and the Dragon’, and  ‘The Back Badge’)
  • Officer embarkation rolls
  • WWI database (containing over 40,000 records of individual soldiers)

Our researchers will take time to find as much information as they can for you, using and interpreting the unique resources we hold in our archive, and information held elsewhere.  As we are a registered charity we are dependant upon donations to keep our Museum open, and so we ask for a payment of £35 per soldier, per enquiry.  In some circumstances, we may only be able to provide only background information, but the donation is non-refundable as every enquiry takes time and resource to carry out.

https://soldiersofglos.com/research/

Still cheaper, (just), than a £20 book with £20 postage!

Cheers,

Peter

Eran,

If you go to the AWM website, and under ‘Collections’, search for photographs of El Burj, you will find two pages of photos.

From the second page the two photos of the recovery of the body of Captain Fay, 8th ALH, will give a description of the action of the 1st Dec 1917.

Also the War Diaries of the 8th & 9th ALH Regt’s have full accounts of the battle.

When I am back in Melbourne I will find the photograph taken by George Auchterlonie, 8th ALH, of the men of the 8th being relieved by the British Reinforcements at El Burj.

Hope this will be of assistance to your enquire of the battle.

Jeff

Mate,

While I have no record of your man I do show these men AIF and others) with the name of Burj in their records, for actions around that place, while some were not in the Battle they record there names.

Hope its of some use.

ADELT    Rudolph Askwith    1633    Pte    12 LHR    6R tos Sig C Sqn 3-16 to RHQ 6-16 to C Sqn 7-16 WIA 19-4-17 eyes & concussion shot reported in attack on Atawineh redoubt at 2nd Gaza rtn 7-17 (B) WIA 30-11-17 R/thigh shrapnel reported shelled during relief of 156 Bde from Beit Sira to El Burj to 4 LHTR 4-18 to T/Cpl Orderly Room clerk 8-18 to T/Sgt Orderly Room clerk 1-19 rtn 3-19 to 4 LH Bde HQ 3-19 to UK leave 5-19 later WWII AKA Randolph Askwith Adelt brothers Burton 1 FCE and Carl 1 LHR KIA

BELL    Ernest    345    Pte    8 LHR    C Sqn to hosp Lemnos (contussion septic ankle) 6-15 evac to hosp (influ) 7-15 rtn att advance base Mudros 11-15 (G) to 3 LHTR 6-16 rtn C Sqn? 7-16 to 3 LHTR 2-17 qual hotchkiss MG 4-17 rtn 4-17 to L/Cpl 5-17 T/att Aust MD HQ 11-17 killed reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj buried in one grave at El Burj by LtCol Palmer Gloster Yeomanry reburied Ramleh War Cemetery Palestine

BOWMAN    William Nesbit James    340    Pte    8 LHR    C Sqn scout sniper att 161 Bde at Suvla (G) to L/Cpl 1-16 to Cpl 5-16 to scout Sgt 9-17 recom VC awarded DCM - for his actions with Pte Taylor rescuing wounded near Burkusie 12-11-17 WIA 1-12-17 minor reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj to cadet OCS Zeitoun 12-17 prom 2/Lt A Sqn ? Troop 3-18 recom MC - for his actions at Es Salt 3-5-18 (CMF Lt 4 LH 1921) related Leslie 4 LHR

BUCKLEY    Reuben Murray     2254    Pte    9 LHR    19R to 3 LHTR 8-16 Tos C Sqn B Troop 1-17 WIA 1-12-17 neck & L/thigh shot reported 4 wounded in fighting at El Burj to (med class A) 3 LHTR 3-18 rtn 7-18 to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 10-18 WIA 3-1-19 L/arm accident football to ADS 3-19 rtn 7-19 AKA Ruben Murray

BURGESS    Thomas Sinclair    1160    Pte    11 LHR    6R att DSqn/02 LHR 12-15 Tos A Sqn 2-16 qual hotchkiss MG 9-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/ankle shot at Wadi Zait during Turkish attack on 8 LHR at El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp (malaria) 10-18 rtn 1-19 to L/Cpl 4-19 brother Robert 11 LHR

BYRNE    Ernest Frederick    1047    Pte    12 LHR    4R To 1 LHTR 11-15 att B Troop CSqn/Comp LHR 11-15 tos C Sqn 2-16 WIA 19-4-17 minor reported 10 killed and 59 wounded in attack on Atawineh redoubt at 2nd Gaza to 4 LHTR 5-17 rtn to L/Cpl 6-17 (B) WIA 6-12-17 L/leg shot reported patrols sent out during advance to Kuddis and Jurdeh near El Burj rtn 2-18 to T/Cpl 3-18 to Cpl 6-18 to Sgt C Sqn 4 Troop (from McInnes) 5-19

CAHILL    Timothy Joseph    1064    Pte    8 LHR    7R tos A Sqn 12-15 to L/Cpl 3-16 to T/Cpl 8-16 revert 9-16 WIA & PoW 14-12-17 reported 1 killed and three captured when a patrol under Lt Mulholland was ambushed at El Hariyeh near El Burj repat to UK 1-19 

CAMERON    Hugh James    2932    A/Sgt    8 LHR    21R to 3 LHTR 10-16 tos L/Cpl RHQ 2-17 to C Sqn 7-17 to T/Cpl 11-17 WIA 1-12-17 head shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to T/Sgt 8-18 to Cpl 11-18 to hosp (DAH) 1-19 RTA MU debility (Rushworth Troop 3Sqn/7 LH 3 years to D Troop ASqn/15 LH CMF 6 years rtn Lt ASqn/19 LH 1-9-23 to 19 Armd Car Regt 18-1-34 to 1 Armd Car Regt 1-5-34 to Capt 12-10-39 to 1 Armd Regt 4-12-39 later WWII 19 LH MG Regt to GSO (3) Land HQ ED)

CARLIN    Cyril Brooke    2813    Pte    10 LHR    19R tos F Troop /3 LH MGS 10-16 under Lt Hardy T/att BSqn/8 LHR 11-17 WIA 1-12-17 minor & PoW 1-12-17 reported left wounded on battlefield with Tpr McCormick when Lt Hardy's F Troop retired in Turkish attack at El Burj sent to Turkey to work on the Rail line repat 12-18 (88 IR CMF 4 months)

CARMICHAEL    Duncan Alexander    1494    Pte    8 LHR    12R tos C Sqn 12-15 to L/Cpl 4-16 to Cpl (from Wallis) 8-16 WIA 19-4-17 L/arm shot at 2nd Gaza rtn 8-17 to L/Sgt 10-17 to T/Sgt (from Biffen) 10-17 revert when WIA 1-12-17 R/arm shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj  rtn to Sgt 2-18 WIA 3-5-18 head shot reported in defence around Kh el Fokan at Es Salt rtn 6-18 to cadet OCS Zeitoun 7-18 prom 2/Lt B Sqn ? Troop 1-19 shown his Troop patrol around El Mandara 4-19

CONNOR    Edwin Ashleigh Russell Reginald    1170    Pte    11 LHR    6R Tos A Sqn B Troop 2-16 to 3 double Sqn 7-16 FGCM 2-10-16 sleeping on guard sentenced 4 months HL rtn 5-17 WIA 30-11-17 buttock & hip shot at Wadi Zait during Turkish attack on 8 LHR at El Burj rtn 3-18 to hosp (malaria) 10-18 rtn 12-18 att Oldens force 3-19 

COOK    Robert Ernest    2267    Pte    8 LHR    16R to 3 LHTR 6-16 tos B Sqn 10-16 WIA 1-12-17 R/hand bomb reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 1-18 WIA 3-5-18 R/leg shot reported in defence around Kh el Fokan at Es Salt rtn 7-18 to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 11-18 

CROWHURST    Leonard    851    Pte    9 LHR    4R Tos A Sqn B Troop 5-15 (G) to L/Cpl 4-17 qual hotchkiss MG 5-17 to T/Cpl (from Field) 11-17 revert when WIA 1-12-17 L/shoulder shot reported 4 wounded in fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to T/Cpl (from Ferris) 2-18 to Cpl 5-18 to hosp (pyrexia/malaria) 8-18 rtn 11-18 to T/Sgt (from Lee) 1-19 

CURRINGTON    Allan Harry    353    Pte    8 LHR     C Sqn to Cpl 8-15 to Sgt (from keys) 11-15 MID - for his actions at Anzac & brought to the notice of Corps Commander for his good work on Anzac (G) to SSM C Sqn (from peppercorn) 1-17 recom DCM - for his actions at Khuweilfe 2-11-17 DCM - for his actions at El Burj 30-11-17 to 1-12-17 prom 2/Lt C Sqn ? Troop 24-12-17 T/att school of Instruction (hotchkiss instructor MG course) Zeitoun 1-18 to hosp (appendix) 2-18 rtn to B Sqn ? Troop 5-18 att school of Instruction (cavalry course) Richon 7-18 rtn 8-18 to hosp (pyrexia) 8-18 rtn 11-18 shown OC distressed Armenian Camp at Homs 12-18 to UK leave 6-19 later WWII Lt Garr Bn 

DAVEY    Donald    1340    Pte    8 LHR    11R tos B Sqn 12-15 WIA 23-12-16 R/leg shot at Magdhaba to 3 LHTR 1-17 qual lewis MG 3-17 to hosp (hernia) 4-17 rtn B Sqn 8-17 WIA 1-12-17 L/arm bomb reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 WIA 3-5-18 R/arm shot reported in defence around Kh el Fokan at Es Salt RTA wounded disch 11-11-18 R/arm amputated later WWII

DOCHERTY    Albert John    735    Pte    8 LHR    3R (681) tos B Sqn 7-15 shown WIA 13-10-15 in Simpson's book? reported WIA 1-11-15 R/arm shrapnel with 3 killed and 6 wounded when shelled at Table Top aimed at the paddle Tug Marsden which run aground evac to (3 AAuxH) hosp 11-15 (G) rtn 12-15 WIA 1-12-17 head & R/arm bomb reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj RTA wounded disch 15-8-18 (A Troop CSqn/20 LH CMF later WWII ) brother Henry 8Bn

EARNSHAW    Frederick    2937    Pte    8 LHR    21R tos A Sqn A Troop 2-17 PoW 14-12-17 reported 1 killed and three captured when a patrol under Lt Mulholland was ambushed at El Hariyeh near El Burj  repat to UK 11-18

EGAN    James    370    Pte    8 LHR    C Sqn B Troop to hosp Mudros 11-15 (G) rtn 1-16 WIA 19-4-17 head shot reported 6 killed & 68 wounded in fighting at Atawine Redoubt at 2nd Gaza to 3 LHTR 6-17 rtn 8-17 to hosp (malaria) 8-17 rtn 9-17 to L/Cpl 11-17 WIA 1-12-17 head shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj died at 24 BSH buried Kantara War Memorial Cemetery Egypt

FAY    George        2/Lt    8 LHR    9R tos Regt Dtls 12-15 shown A Sqn D Troop? 1-16 tos C Sqn 3-16 to A Sqn C Troop 3-16 WIA 19-4-17 L/leg shot in fighting at 2nd Gaza rtn 7-17 prom Capt 2ic A Sqn (from thorn) 7-17 shown T/OC A Sqn 10-17 WIA 12-11-17 minor reported wounded with Lt Maunsell with 1 killed and 5 wounded in fighting on Burkusieh Ridge shown T/OC A Sqn 12-17 killed reported 2 officers and 5 men killed and 2 officers and 35 men wounded in fighting at El Burj buried in one grave with five men at El Burj by SSM Lawlor reburied Ramleh War Cemetery Palestine (VMR to 1Sqn/8 LH (12) prov 2/Lt 1Sqn/8 LH 17-3-08 to A troop ASqn/16 LH (SAMR) 1-7-12 CMF 15 years) 

FERRIER    James Russell    1567    Pte    8 LHR    12R tos C Sqn 12-15 att scouts 3 LH Bde HQ 8-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/thigh shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to L/Cpl 5-18 to hosp (malaria) 7-18 rtn 10-18to T/Cpl (from kerr) 5-19 to Cpl 6-19 later WWII

FLOYD    Harry    326    Pte    8 LHR    B Sqn evac to Tigne hosp Malta (hernia) 7-15 to (Lewisham) hosp London UK 8-15 (G) rtn 1-16 qual hotchkiss MG 3-17 to L/Cpl 11-17 WIA 1-12-17 face/jaw shrapnel reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj died at 14 AGH buried Cairo War Memorial Cemetery Egypt

FOLI    Rassemain Sulliman    A/4649    Dvr    Egyptian Army    EATC att 3 LHFA recom MID - for his actions under fire at El Burj 1-12-17

FRASER    Albert    3126    Pte    8 LHR    24R to 3 LHTR 3-17 tos C Sqn 3-17 shown WIA 1-12-17 minor during fighting at El Burj or to hosp (ulcer) 15-12-17 rtn 1-18 to hosp (dysentry) 5-18 to CTD 5-19 to UK leave 6-19

FRASER    Malcolm Campbell    2995    Pte    8 LHR    22R to 3 LHTR 12-16 tos C Sqn 1-17 to hosp (gastro) 4-17 rtn 7-17 to hosp (diptheria) 9-17 rtn 11-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/hip or thigh shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj RTA wounded disch 18-7-18 (19Bty/7 FAB CMF 4 years) born 5-10-1900 real age 15 later WWII 2/12Bn to 2/6 Div Cav Regt/Commando WIA 4-6-42 hip accident in training 

GANTZ    William    1765    Pte    11 LHR    9R to 3 LHTR 6-16 Tos C Sqn? 10-16 qual cook 9-17 WIA 1-12-17 minor reported in fighting near El Burj rtn 12-17 to hosp (malaria) 6-18 to 4 LHTR 8-18 att oldens force 3-19 to hosp (malaria) 4-19 RTA MU 

GLAZEBROOK    William    572    Pte    12 LHR    C Sqn att DSqn/6 LHR 8-15 evac to (Brit Red Cross) hosp Highfield Hall UK (dysentry) 10-15 (G) to AD Abbey Wood UK 1-16 rtn C Sqn 3-16 (B) WIA 30-11-17 wrist & jaw shot reported shelled during relief of 156 Bde from Beit Sira to El Burj RTA wounded disch 19-9-18 brothers Robert 20Bn KIA and Henry 13Bn KIA related Robert 6 LHR

GRACHAN    Charles John    1568    Pte    8 LHR    12R tos Medical Orderly C Sqn 12-15 qual cook 9-17 killed reported helping wounded with 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj buried in one grave at El Burj by LtCol Palmer Gloster Yeomanry reburied Ramleh War Cemetery Palestine cousin Charles 26Bn KIA

GROVE    Thomas Lester    546    Pte    8 LHR    B Sqn evac to hosp Malta (dysentry) 9-15 to hosp Gibraltar 10-15 to (3 southern GH) hosp Oxford UK 11-15 (G) rtn 3-16 to L/Cpl C Sqn 4-16 to T/Cpl (from biffen) 5-17 qual hotchkiss MG 5-17 killed reported shot to chest with 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj and died at DS buried in one grave at El Burj by LtCol Palmer Gloster Yeomanry reburied Ramleh War Cemetery Palestine brother Ellis 11 LHR killed Sister Myra AANS

HENSLEY    William Arthur    3301    Pte    8 LHR    27R to 3 LHTR 7-17 tos A Sqn 8-17 WIA 1-12-17 chest & L/shoulder shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 5-18 qual cook 9-18 to hosp (malaria) 11-18 RTA MU (B Troop CSqn/19 LH CMF 3 years) 

JARDINE    William Edward    2772    Pte    8 LHR    19R to 3 LHTR 8-16 tos A Sqn 10-16 WIA 1-12-17 head shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 4-18 WIA 3-5-18 neck & R/shoulder shot reported in defence around Kh el Fokan at Es Salt RTA wounded disch 4-1-19 brother John 8 LHR related John 8 LHR

JONES    John Herbert    429    Pte    9 LHR    C Sqn evac to St Davids hosp Malta (dysentry) 7-15 to (King Georges) hosp London UK 9-15 (G) rtn 2-16 to hosp (abdoman pain) 1-17 rtn 5-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/Leg shot reported 4 wounded in fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp (malaria) 9-18 rtn 10-18 att X Aircraft Park RAF 2-19 rtn 6-19 

JOSE    Joseph    1045    Pte    8 LHR    7R tos A Sqn 12-15 T/att Dvr 3 LH Bde HQ 9-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/Leg shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj RTA wounded disch 3-9-18 Ex 10R/8 LHR DNE

KEABLE    Henry William    721    Pte    02 LHR    2R disemb Melbourne disch 4-5-15 relist 6R/8 LHR (1010) tos C Sqn 9-15 (G) to hosp (VD) 7-16 rtn to B Sqn 8-16 WIA 19-4-17 L/Leg shot reported 6 killed & 68 wounded in fighting at Atawine Redoubt at 2nd Gaza rtn 7-17 att Gamli Lt Rlwy 8-17 rtn 11-17 WIA 1-12-17 head & shoulder bomb reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj & DCM - for his actions at El Burj rtn to L/Cpl 1-18 to Cpl (from Lumsden) 6-18 to hosp (malaria) 6-18 rtn to T/Sgt (from hockley) 8-18 revert 11-18 to T/Sgt (from Chapman) 11-18 brother Edwin & Arthur 2 LHR

KELLY    George Whiting    595    Sgt/band    12 LHR    C Sqn att Pte DSqn/6 LHR 8-15 (G) rtn 2-16 T/att batman to Capt Brown 2 LH Bde HQ 6-16 rtn C Sqn 8-16 (B) WIA 30-11-17 head shrapnel reported shelled during relief of 156 Bde from Beit Sira to El Burj died at 35 CCS buried at Deir Sineid by chaplain Webster reburied Gaza War Cemetery Palestine

KELLY    William    832    Pte    8 LHR    4R tos C Sqn 6-15 to A Sqn 6-15 (G) to L/Cpl 4-17 WIA & PoW 14-12-17 reported 1 killed and three captured when a patrol under Lt Mulholland was ambushed at El Hariyeh near El Burj repat to Egypt 11-18

KEYSER    Joseph Elijah    1773    Pte    11 LHR    9R to 3 LHTR 6-16 Tos C Sqn 10-16 WIA 1-12-17 L/Leg shot at Wadi Zait during Turkish attack on 8 LHR at El Burj rtn 1-18 to hosp (malaria) 10-18 rtn 2-19 (Brisbane unknown unit CMF 1 year) 

KHALILE    Mohammed Talel     A/4652    Dvr    Egyptian Army    EATC att 3 LHFA recom MID - for his actions under fire at El Burj 1-12-17

LAWLOR    Kavan    899    Pte    8 LHR    5R to Sgt 3-15 tos A Sqn 9-15 to T/SSM 10-15 revert 12-15 G) revert 12-15 to hosp (lumbago) 9-16 rtn 10-16 to T/SSM A Sqn (from cowell) 1-17 to 3 LHTR 2-17 rtn to SSM A Sqn 6-17 DCM - for his actions at El Burj 30-11-17 to T/RSM RHQ (from sinnott) 1-18 revert 5-18 WIA 3-5-18 R/leg shot reported in defence around Kh el Fokan at Es Salt to SSM C Sqn 4-18 recom bar to DCM - reason not stated possibly at Es Salt (TBC) to 3 LHTR 6-18 rtn RHQ 8-18 to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 10-18 to C Sqn 11-18 AKA Kavan Charles Lawlor 

MacKLEY    William    1502    Pte    9 LHR    12R tos C Sqn 12-15 to T/Cpl MP AProvC 3 LH Bde HQ 11-16 revert when WIA 1-12-17 R/arm shrapnel reported 4 wounded in fighting at El Burj RTA wounded disch 6-6-18 Ex ACo/9Bn (1492) DNE (Boer War 5 VMR (1433) and Natal Rebellion 1906)

MacPHERSON    Lachlan Alfred William        Lt    8 LHR      10R tos B Sqn B Troop? 12-15 (G) att school of Instruction (vickers&maxim MG course) Zeitoun 4-16 shown T/att Bde Transport Officer 3 LH Bde HQ 11-16 att school of Instruction (unknown (cavalry) course) Zeitoun 2-17 rtn 3-17 WIA 19-4-17 R/shoulder shot at 2nd Gaza rtn 6-17 att school of Instruction (Topo course) Zeitoun 8-17 to Scout/Intell officer RHQ 10-17 prom Capt (from sproat) 11-17 MC - for his actions at El Burj 30-11-17 to OC ASqn/3 LHTR 1-18 rtn to A/Adjt RHQ 4-18 rtn 6-18 att Staff Capt Training 3 LH Bde HQ 6-18 prom Maj OC A Sqn 9-18 DSO & MID - for his work at Tiberias 26-9-18 & Sasa 29-9-18 att Staff 3 LH Bde 5-19 Ex LH depot prom 2/Lt 1-6-15 

MAYFIELD    Frank    802    Pte    9 LHR    2R tos A Sqn 4-15 to MG Sect 10-15 (G) to L/Cpl 2-16 to 3 LH MGS 8-16 rtn BSqn/9 LHR 9-16 WIA 9-1-17 L/thigh shot in fighting at Rafa rtn 2-17 revert to Pte 3-17 WIA 19-4-17 L/buttock/hip shot reported 9 killed and 68 wounded in fighting at Atawine Redoubt at 2nd Gaza rtn 6-17 to hosp (insect bite) 9-17 rtn 9-17 WIA 1-12-17 L/leg shot or shrapnel reported 4 wounded in fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp (malaria) 6-18 RTA MU 
MAYNARD    Hugh McLean    1294    Pte    8 LHR    10R tos B Sqn C Troop at Mudros 12-15 (G) to L/Cpl 1-16 to Cpl (from gaynor) 6-16 WIA 1-12-17 L/arm shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn to Sgt (from talbot) 1-18 to hosp (dysentry) 5-18 rtn 7-18 

McCORMICK    Leslie Ruthford    1261    Pte    10 LHR    9R tos 11-15 remain Egypt rtn MG Sect? 12-15 qual MG gunner 12-16 qual MG instructor 1-17 to F Troop 3 LH MGS 1-17 WIA 1-12-17 legs shot/bomb reported left wounded on battlefield with Tpr Carlin when Lt Hardy's F Troop retired in Turkish attack at El Burj recovered next day by 8 LHR rtn 3-18 to hosp (old leg wounds) 5-18 RTA wounded disch 25-11-18 old L/leg wound AKA Leslie Rutherford McCormick

McDONALD    Walter    1656    Pte    8 LHR    11R tos B Sqn 12-15 to 3 LHTR 4-16 rtn to C Sqn 7-16 to hosp (hernia) 6-17 rtn 10-17 WIA 1-12-17 face/jaw shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp (malaria) 6-18 to 3 LHTR 1-19 rtn 6-19 

McERVALE    John Robert    1598    Pte    8 LHR    12R tos C Sqn 12-15 to Sig RHQ 2-16 rtn C Sqn 4-16 rtn RHQ 10-17 WIA 1-12-17 buttocks bomb reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp (malaria) 6-18 rtn 10-18 to L/Cpl AIF HQ 2-19 RTA ER Sgt 7-19 (ECo/71 IR CMF 2 years)

McFARLANE    Herbert        2/Lt    9 LHR    12R tos B Sqn ? Troop 12-15 WIA 18-8-16 (septic L/hand) cause unknown during Romani operations rtn 9-16 shown B Sqn 12-16 WIA 12-1-17 R/hand shot at Hod Masaid rtn 2-17 to A/Adjt RHQ 4-17 to Staff Officer 3 LH Bde HQ 5-17 rtn 8-17 to A&Q training Aust MD HQ 9-17 prom T/Capt Staff Officer 4 LH Bde HQ (from pendants) 10-17 (B) (reported WIA 1-12-17 at El Burj N/R)? to DAQMG Aust MD HQ 1-18 to Staff officer 4 LH Bde HQ 5-18 WIA 25-9-18 minor & MC - for his work as Staff officer at Semakh 25-9-18 to DAQMG Aust MD HQ 10-18 att T/Bde Maj 4 LH Bde HQ (from Alexander) 12-18 rtn Aust MD HQ (from Hughes) 1-19 Ex Sgt DSqn/LH prom 2/Lt 15-7-15 (Boer War DSqn/2 ACH (978) (Adelaide 1Sqn/16 LH SAMR CMF 3 years) died 3-12-36 brother Percy Capt 3 LH Bde HQ

McGRATH    William    268    Cpl    8 LHR    B Sqn to L/Sgt 6-15 to T/SQMS A Sqn 7-15 to SSM 8-15 to A/RSM RHQ 8-15 prom 2/Lt ? Sqn ? Troop 14-9-15 WIA 9-10-15 minor at Canterbury Slope evac to hosp Malta (jaundice) 10-15 to hosp UK 10-15 (G) rtn B Sqn ? Troop 2-16 to C Sqn ? Troop 12-16 MID - for his actions at Magdhaba 23-12-16 T/att school of Instruction (hotchkiss instructor MG course) Zeitoun 7-17 to T/Adjt 7-17 prom Capt 11-17 rtn T/OC C Sqn MC - for his actions at Khuweilfeh 2-11-17 and at El Burj 30-11-17 rtn to Adjt RHQ 7-18 prom T/Maj B Sqn (from walker) 4-19 later Royal Humane Society silver medal for bravery during a shooting accident in which he was shot three times 10-2-24 later WWII Maj 12 Garr Bn author unpublish History of the 8 LHR in the war 1914-19

McGUINNESS    Eric Rogan    323    Pte    8 LHR    B Sqn shown in Simpson WIA 28-6-15 reported WIA 30-6-15 L/hand bomb reported 6 killed and 12 wounded during attack by the 18th Turkish Regt at the Nek evac to St Georges hosp Malta 7-15 rtn 9-15 (G) qual unknown 1-16 to B Troop 3 LH MGS 7-16 to L/Cpl 12-16 qual unknown 10-17 MM - for his actions att 9 LHR at Huj 8-11-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/shoulder shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj RTA wounded disch 18-7-18 later WWII 

McKINNON    Alex    427    Pte    8 LHR    C Sqn WIA 30-5-15 L/thigh bomb or bullet at Russels Top evac to (1 AGH) hosp 6-15 rtn 8-15 (G) to L/Cpl 11-17 killed reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj buried in one grave at El Burj by LtCol Palmer Gloster Yeomanry reburied Ramleh War Cemetery Palestine AKA Alexander McKinnon brother Archie 4 LHR KIA

McLAURIN    Archibald McGibbon        Capt    8 LHR    C Sqn 2ic prom Maj 6-15 T/att T/OC A Sqn 6-15 rtn OC C Sqn 6-15 WIA 7-8-15 minor in the charge at the Nek recom Legion of Honour 5th Class Chevalier - for his actions at Walkers Ridge on 30-6-15 and at the Nek 7-8-15 inventor wrist strap for withdrawing pin of T&F bomb at Gallipoli shown War Diary T/2ic RHQ 15-8-15 (G) recom DSO - for his command at Bir el Abd 9-8-16 recom MID - for his command at Magdhaba 23-12-16 WIA 16-4-17 collar bone accident fell down wadi around Aseiferiyeh in night march att (Senior officers course) Heliopolis 10-17 rtn to CO RHQ 10-17 to T/LtCol 11-17 recom DSO - for his command at El Burj 1-12-17 awarded MID - reason not stated (VMR (1901) 6-7-00 to 4Sqn/8 LH (198) to 2/Lt 1-7-05 to Lt 21-9-08 to Capt 27-11-11 to OC BSqn 1-7-12 CMF) died broncho pneumonia and meningitis at 74 CCS buried Beirut British War Cemetery Syria

McLEAN    Harold Alexander    629    Pte    8 LHR    1R tos C Sqn 2-15 evac to hosp (dysentry) 9-15 (G) to Dvr RHQ 1-16 revert 11-16 WIA 19-4-17 L/leg shot reported 6 killed & 68 wounded in fighting at Atawine Redoubt at 2nd Gaza to 3 LHTR 5-17 rtn C Sqn 8-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/arm shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to L/Cpl 5-18 to T/Cpl (from Bolton) 5-19 to Cpl 6-19 (A Troop ASqn/15 LH (649) CMF)

MOHAMEDAIN    Ali Harmod     A/4644    Dvr    Egyptian Army    ECTC att 3 LHFA recom MID - for his actions under fire at El Burj 1-12-17

MONTGOMERY    Robert Hamilton    1118    Pte    8 LHR    8R tos B Sqn 12-15 to Dvr RHQ 2-16 WIA 1-12-17 L/side shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during Turkish attack at El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp (malaria) 6-18 rtn 8-18 to hosp (dysentry) 9-18 to 3 LHTR 12-18 to hosp (malaria) 1-19 RTA MU (A Troop ASqn/29 LH (502) CMF 1 year)

MOORE    Frank    302    Pte    04 LHR    B Sqn to RHQ 8-15 to batman to LtCol Maygar VC RHQ/8 LHR 10-15 (G) to B Sqn 6-16 DCM & MID - for his actions at Magdhaba 23-12-16 att X Aircraft Park 1-17 to 3 SMA Abbassia 3-17 rtn 8 LHR 3-17 to L/Cpl 4-17 to C Sqn 6-17 to T/Cpl (from lumsden) 8-17 prom 2/Lt C Sqn ? Troop 30-10-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/ankle bomb reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during Turkish attack at El Burj RTA wounded disch 15-6-18 (2Sqn/8 LH (711) to C Troop ASqn/16 LH to 17 LH CMF) 

MOORE    Samuel Vincent    301    Sgt    8 LHR    B Sqn WIA 7-8-15 L/arm shot in charge at the Nek evac to Cottonera hosp Malta 8-15 to hosp Egypt (enteric) 9-15 (G) RTA MU enteric No2 OTS Duntroon prom 2/Lt 20-6-16 reemb 25R tos B Sqn 3-17 to C Sqn ? Troop 6-17 WIA 1-12-17 seriousreported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj died at 3 LHFA buried near road reported killed with 2 officers and 5 men killed and 2 officers and 35 men wounded at El Burj shown buried on battlefield near the road later grave lost NKG listed on Jerusalem Memorial Palestine (A Troop BSqn/19 LH CMF 3 years)

MUGGLETON    Arthur Burton    2022    A/Cpl    ICC    7R to 4 LHTR 3-17 tos CSqn/12 LHR (2022a) 5-17 (B) WIA 30-11-17 L/side sharpnel reported wounded either taking over line near El Burj from Royal Scots 156 Bde or in Turkish attack during night on 3 LH Bde died at Anzac MD Receiving Station Buried at Ramleh War Cemetery Palestine six cousins died in AIF

MULHOLLAND    Seaton Lytton        2/Lt    8 LHR    16R to 3 LHTR 6-16 tos A Sqn ? Troop (from raphael) 7-16 att school of Instruction (23rd officers general course) Zeitoun 1-17 rtn 2-17 to hosp (appendix) 3-17 to 3 LHTR 5-17 T/att school of Instruction (hotchkiss instructor MG course) Zeitoun 5-17 rtn ? Sqn ? Troop 9-17 reported 1 killed and three captured when a patrol under his command was ambushed at El Hariyeh near El Burj 14-12-17 T/att Obsver 67 Sqn (1 Sqn) AFC 1-18 to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 11-18 to hosp (malaria) 11-18 att AIF HQ 1-19 rtn 4-19 att AIF HQ 5-19 Ex Sgt LH depot Seymour prom 2/Lt 17-1-16 later WWII born 19-5-1888

MULLER    Edgar Percy    3227    Pte    8 LHR    26R to 3 LHTR 3-17 tos A Sqn 5-17 WIA 1-12-17 chest shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn to B Sqn 1-18 to hosp (malaria) 6-18 rtn 8-18 to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 11-18 RTA MU 

NORTH    Alfred Edward    2311    Pte    8 LHR    16R tos A Sqn D Troop 7-16 to hosp (diptheria) 11-16 rtn to B Sqn 1-17 rtn A Sqn 3-17 WIA 19-4-17 R/foot shot reported 6 killed & 68 wounded in fighting at Atawine Redoubt at 2nd Gaza rtn 7-17 WIA 1-12-17 head, arms & legs bomb shrapnel reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 4-18 to L/Cpl 5-18 to T/Cpl (from Mar) 7-18 to hosp (malaria) 5-19 RTA MU

O'BRIEN    John Benjamin    2887    Pte    01 LHR    20R disemb ill Melbourne relist 23R/8 LHR (3070) to 3 LHTR 3-17 tos C Sqn 4-17 att Rlwy Constr RE 8-17 rtn 10-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/shoulder shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp (dysentry) 5-18 rtn 6-18 to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 1-19 to L/Cpl 1-19 to T/Cpl (from garland) 5-19 

PEPPERCORN    Royce Theodore    32    L/Cpl    11 LHR    RHQ to Transport Sgt 6-15 att T/SSM 9 LHR 8-15 to CSqn/8 LHR 9-15 to T/SSM 10-15 (G) to SSM (from mullins) 12-15 prom 2/Lt ? Troop BSqn/8 LHR 5-1-17 to 3 LHTR 3-17 rtn 5-17 MC - for his actions at El Burj 30-11-17 to T/A/Adjt RHQ 12-17 rtn C Sqn C Troop 1-18 T/att intell course at DHQ 1-18 remain att as instructor in sword/bayonet drill at DHQ 2-18 t/att school of Instruction (cavalry course) Zeitoun 2-18 to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 10-18 to A/Adjt RHQ (from richardson) 12-18 to rest camp 1-19 rtn 3-19 prom T/Capt 4-19 married VAD Nurse Harriet Littlewood at Ismailia Egypt 3-3-19 AKA Theodore Royce Peppercorn

PETER-BUDGE    Edgar Harold    1063    Pte    8 LHR    7R tos A Sqn 12-15 qual hotchkiss MG 5-17 reported killed and three men captured in Turkish ambush of Lt Mulholland's Troop at El Hariyeh near El Burj reported body recovered from battlefield and buried near a fig tree by LtCol McLaurin moved to Nalin District Military Graves later grave lost NKG listed on Jerusalem War Memorial Palestine (48 IR Kooyong CMF 1 year)

PONSFORD    Ralph Walter Harold    1603    Pte    8 LHR    12R tos C Sqn 12-15 WIA 1-12-17 head bomb reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp 9-18 RTA MU early repat 

PORTEOUS    Stanley    1406    Pte    6Bn    2R Tos 3 LH Bde Trn 12Co AASC (2288) 2-16 to 3 LHTR 3-16 tos C Troop ASqn/8 LHR 4-16 MID - reason not stated said to be Roystons "Galloper" possibly after Romani before Magdhaba 23-12-16 to hosp (crushed toe accident?) 10-16 qual lewis MG 10-16 to L/Cpl 4-17 to hosp (hernia) 7-17 rtn 9-17 WIA 1-12-17 head/face & L/Leg shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn T/Cpl (from cowell) 2-18 revert 2-18 to T/Cpl (from wakham) 5-18 revert to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 3-19 to T/SQMS (from pope) 5-19 reported lost L/eye N/R? AKA Sydney Poerteous or Porteous Author of two books in the 1950's

PURVES    William Winter Home    364    Pte    12 LHR    B Sqn att DSqn/7 LHR 8-15 WIA 17-9-15 septic arm minor possibly when shelled by 75mm guns at Ryries Post rtn 9-15 att T/Cpl Indian Mule Corps 10-15 (G) to 1Co AASC 1 Div Trn 2-16 to 26Co 4 Div Trn 3-16  rtn 12 LHR 3-16 to Interpreter Bikanir Camel Corps 7-16 to A Sqn 8-16 rtn L/Cpl B Sqn (B) WIA 29-11-17 groin shrapnel reported 2 wounded when pack horses shelled at watering point at Khurbetha near El Burj to Cpl 8-18 to T/Sgt 11-18 (British United Prov Vol Rifles) (CMF RSM RHQ/21 LH (2188) shown 21-1-38 to Wo1 AIC later WWII RSM 1 Cav Div to Capt AIC disch 1949)

REID    Harry    1094    Dvr    2 LH Bde Trn    (6Co AASC) Tos 11-15 (G) to BSqn/7 LHR 1-16 to 2 LHTR 4-16 to 2 double sqn 7-16 to 4 Cml Regt 11-16 tos 17Co/4Bn ICC 2-17 to (996Co) 36Co AASC AMDT 8-17 to CSqn/8 LHR 10-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/thigh bomb reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp (influ) 11-18 RTA 1914 leave relist Special Service (85984) to AD London UK 9-19 

RUSSELL    William    1454    Pte    8 LHR    11R tos A Sqn 12-15 to hosp (diptheria) 9-16 rtn 12-16 qual hotchkiss MG 10-17 WIA 1-12-17 wrist & L/leg shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 1-18 to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 11-18 

SMITH    Howard William Ball    3006    Pte    9 LHR    23R to 3 LHTR 3-17 qual unknown MG course 4-17 tos 3 LH MGS 4-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/thigh shrapnel during fighting at El Burj to MG Trg unit 1-18 to hosp (meales & tonchitis) 3-18 rtn 5-18 to hosp (influ) 10-18 rtn 2-19 reported malaria in 3-18 & 11-18 (shown 20 LH possibly ASqn/24 LH CMF)

SMITH    Rupert Leonard    1444    Pte    12 LHR    7R to 2 LHTR 4-16 tos C Sqn 7-16 att 2 LH Bde 7-16 rtn 1-17 WIA 19-4-17 R/arm & abdomen shot reported in attack on Atawineh redoubt at 2nd Gaza rtn 6-17 T/att Transport park Aust MD 8-17 (B) WIA 3-12-17 L/arm shot reported shelled in line near El Burj rtn 2-18 to hosp (malaria) 10-18 rtn C Sqn 1-19 to L/Cpl 3-19 to T/Cpl (from Edwards) 4-19 to Cpl (from Revelly) 5-19 

STANBURY    Charles Henry    1458    A/Cpl    8 LHR    11R tos B Sqn 12-15 to L/Cpl 1-16 to Cpl (from mann) 1-17 to T/Sgt (from mackay) 4-17 revert 7-17 to Sgt (from grant) 8-17 MM - for his actions on recon to Karm near Beersheba 4-7-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/shoulder shrapnel reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 to cadet OCS Zeitoun 3-18 prom 2/Lt 15-6-18 rtn C Sqn ? Troop 6-18 att ADS 3-19 to hosp (malaria) 4-18 RTA MU

SUTHERLAND    Geoffrey Watson    2326    Pte    8 LHR    16R to 3 LHTR 6-16 tos A Sqn 7-16 to L/Cpl 9-17 to Cpl (from williams) 11-17 WIA 1-12-17 both thighs shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj to 3 LHTR 2-18 rtn 5-18 qual hotchkiss MG 7-18 to T/Sgt (from julian) 7-18 to Sgt 10-18 to T/SQMS A Sqn (from goodwin) 10-18 revert to UK leave 5-19

TAYLOR    Oswell    920    Pte    8 LHR    5R (929) tos B Sqn 8-15 evac to hosp UK (enteric) 9-15 (G) to 3 LHTR 6-16 rtn 8-16 WIA 19-4-17 back shot reported 6 killed & 68 wounded in fighting at Atawine Redoubt at 2nd Gaza to 3 LHTR 5-17 rtn 8-17 WIA 1-12-17 head shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj RTA wounded disch 28-3-18 AKA Orwell Leslie Taylor

TOWERS    George William    460    Pte    8 LHR    C Sqn to hosp Mudros (enteric) 7-15 rtn 8-15 to Cpl 9-15 (G) to hosp (cartilage R/knee injury) 3-16 RTA MU R/knee injury reemb 25R to 3 LHTR 3-17 tos Cpl C Sqn 4-17 to T/Sgt (bradshaw) 7-17 revert 9-17 to T/Sgt (from biffen) 10-17 to Sgt (from patterson) 10-17 reported WIA 1-12-17 lost leg reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj died amputated Leg at 3 LHFA buried off the El Burj road by Pte Salter later grave lost NKG listed on Jerusalem Memorial Palestine brother Alfred MM Lt 16Bn

TREWIN    Alfred    1624    Pte    8 LHR    12R tos C Sqn 12-15 to hosp (pyrexia & appendix) 6-16 to AIF depots (1 com) Perham Downs UK 9-16 to 3 LHTR 1-17 qual hotchkiss MG 5-17 to B Sqn 10-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/side shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 qual unknown at school at Kelab 3-18 to hosp (jaundice & influ) 8-18 rtn 1-19 RTA compassionate leave

TURNER    Stanley John    1626    Pte    8 LHR    12R tos C Sqn? 12-15 qual hotchkiss MG 9-17 killed reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj buried in one grave at El Burj by LtCol Palmer Gloster Yeomanry reburied Ramleh War Cemetery Palestine

VAUGHAN    Cecil Gladstone    1627    Pte    8 LHR    12R tos C Sqn 12-15 WIA 1-12-17 minor reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj to hosp (pyrexia/malaria) 7-18 rtn 11-18 to ADS 6-19 possibly three brothers in AIF

WALLIS    Frank Harry    2790    Pte    8 LHR    19R to 3 LHTR 8-16 tos C Sqn 10-16 to L/Cpl 5-17 to hosp (R/foot injury reason not stated) 6-17 rtn 8-17 to Cpl 12-17 WIA 1-12-17 minor reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj to Sgt (from hicks) 5-18 to hosp (malaria) 8-18 rtn 11-18 to UK leave 6-19 (RHQ/15 LH CMF 5 years)

WESTON    Ernest Walter    364    Pte    04 LHR    B Sqn evac to St Davids hosp Malta (bronchitis) 9-15 to (3 London GH) hosp Wandsworth UK 10-15 (G) rtn to D Sqn 5-16 to 1 LH MGS 7-16 rtn L/Cpl B Sqn 8-16 to despatch rider 3-17 (B) WIA 1-12-17 head shot in fighting at El Burj died at 75 CCS buried at Junction Station by chaplain Knight reburied Ramleh War Cemetery Palestine (D Troop CSqn/16 LH CMF 3 years) brother Charles 8 LHR died

WILLIAMS    Clarence George Thomas    726    Pte    8 LHR    2R (644) tos A Sqn 4-15 evac to (2 AGH) hosp (influ) 8-15 (G) att L/Cpl D Troop BSqn/Comp LHR 11-15 rtn A Sqn 1-16 to Cpl (from johnston) 5-16 to L/Sgt 8-16 to Sgt (from kent) 11-16 qual instructor hotchkiss MG 2-17 prom 2/Lt B Sqn ? Troop 30-10-17 WIA 1-12-17 R/arm shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj RTA wounded disch 8-6-18 later WWII 

WILSON    George William    472    L/Cpl    8 LHR    C Sqn to Cpl 7-15 evac to hosp Malta (dysentry) 9-15 to (King Georges) hosp UK 9-15 (G) to AD Abbey Wood UK 4-16 to 3 LHTR 7-16 rtn 2-17 to Sgt (from woodfield) 9-17 WIA 1-12-17 head shot reported 7 killed and 37 wounded during fighting at El Burj rtn 2-18 WIA 1-3-18 R/Leg accident rtn 7-18 to T/SSM C Sqn 8-18 revert 11-18 (D Troop BSqn/17 LH CMF)

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Jeff & Steve - Many thanks!

Steve - I'm going through what you sent and I'll return to you later. From browsing, I already noticed a few interesting and unknown (to me) details.

Jeff - I live about 5 minutes drive from El-Burj & the battlefield hill. I researched this battle in details some 20 years ago, and naturally - mostly the Australian part, which the most important one, as it was the Australian Mounted Division that was holding this sector of the line that night. Two regiments of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade - The 8th ALH Regiment was holding the specific hill where the battle took place , the 9th ALH Regiment to their left, held a hill north-west of them. The 4th Light Horse Brigade was holding positions on the right, east & south-east of the line held by the 8th ALH regiment. All these Australian units mentioned were involved in the fighting that night. There are lots of interesting sites in this very small area, as the main ancient road to Jerusalem is passing there. Of course I'm aware of the AWM files and photos, and I gathered in addition quite a few more sources. Over the years, AWM is adding more and more digitized items, mostly photographs and I'm keeping an eye on that specific collection every once in a while. I remember looking at George Auchterlonie's book years ago, but it would be nice to relook at that again. 

Specifically, I I'm looking this time at the role of the Gloucestershire Yeomanry in this event. Somehow, I ignored so far the contradicting details in various sources I have, regarding their casualties in this battle. The fact that Lieutenant Herbert Pearce Ellis (See link in post #1) started the war in the AIF, yet found his death as a British Yeoman officer is fascinating, as is the fact that he is commemorated in both England and Australia. I also never looked in detail at the role of artillery in this battle, which included one of Steve's and mine's favorite - The Hong-Kong & Singapore Mountain Battery.   

Over the years I wrote a couple of articles about this battle (Alas, in Hebrew...) and added much info into the local Municipality's website (Modiin. Actually, I wrote the whole part of the website dedicated to nature & historical sites. Again - Hebrew... sorry...). I led over the years quite a few battlefield tours over there, mostly of The Society for the Heritage of WWI in Israel. The society has a long-going and strong relationship with ALHA (Australian Light Horse Association). In 2012, commemorating 95 years of the beginning of the military campaign here, I organized and put together an event on El Burj Hill, when the Modiin Municipality reviled a signpost with the participation of a delegation of the ALHA and interested locals. It received coverage of local media. Later we continued riding through the hills to the Vale of Ayalon, following the footsteps of some of the Australian regiments that were active in this sector. Enclosed are a few photos from 2012. The original signpost was in Hebrew and I made sure it was replaced later by a bilingual signpost. A couple of years ago, the Titura Hill (El-Burj) went through major development process with paved tracks and lots of signposting. The signpost dedicated to the 1917 battle was replaced by an audio post, at the foot of the remnants of a Crusade ruin (A very nice and picturesque corner, although not exactly at the right location, if someone would have asked me...). A few weeks ago preservation works started at the Crusade ruin (By IAA, Israel's Antiques Authority) - the photo at the bottom is from these works.     

I'll write separately about the whole chain of events (Most of them fairly unknown) in this area, late November and early December 1917. Peter - I've got some Norfolk activity there as well 

1564050944_ElBurj2012-1.jpg.91eef7291a21e381a21e2e49216c236c.jpg

867644028_ElBurj2012-2.jpg.e729a6e52b13bd6154579e54ffcfd662.jpg

790034141_ElBurj2012-3.jpg.525e77873785d117ebf8bd90672b3e38.jpg

1424889060_ElBurj2012-4.jpg.47dd74a16075e90b2f41a4f005c2971f.jpg

1619499737_6755.jpg.27e30aa612c363d25d3cce34fe433223.jpg     

Eran

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the link to view the commemorative plaques in the Botanic Gardens in memory of my Great Uncle, Herbert Pearce Ellis of Highnam, Gloucestershire.

His brother, John Butt Ellis, also died in 1917 while serving with the 2nd South African Horse, and is commemorated at Dodoma Cemetery.

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from my previous comment, if you search the words, family memorial  parents' grave bearing the names, and the word, Flickr, there is a very informative, yet sensitively written piece which may be of interest regarding the two Ellis brothers.

I would have included the link, but being a new member I'm not sure if this is the correct thing to do.

Hi Eran,

Great to hear about your research - just to say the book you need is available digitally on Hathi Trust, but like many of their books it's restricted to search only in the UK: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001036792

I've no idea what the copyright situation is for you, or whether you might somehow be able to access the full text. It's a very frustrating situation which comes down to their interpretation of copyright restrictions. 

If that fails, this page lists the copies available in libraries worldwide and I see there's one in the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem, though I've no idea if this would be accessible to you: https://www.worldcat.org/title/history-of-the-royal-gloucestershire-hussars-yeomanry-1898-1922-the-great-cavalry-campaign-in-palestine/oclc/5202902

Good luck!

John

Edited by johntaylor

Well spotted Maureen - thanks!

John