Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BRENOCKSHIRE BATTALLION S.W.B. War Diary

BIFFO

Is 1/1st Battalion the same as 1st battalion?,

I have looked ona well know family web site and TNA for the war Diary of the 1/1st Battalion,as per my useal I cannot find on either,is there one ?

Biffo

Do you mean

BRECKNOCKSHIRE?

Tyhankyou for help,so is 1/1st battalion the same as 1st battalion ?

The other post was for my grand father who didi go to India/Aden,only entitled to one medal,

but I am not going to let the cat out of the bag but this is for a trio to 1/1st Battalion on an auction site later on in the week

went out 3-7-1915

Where on earth is this ?

WHERE.jpg.872d1511fc0353338c49ca8a1c4482f9.jpg

Hi Biffo,

1 hour ago, BIFFO said:

Is 1/1st [Brecknockshire] Battalion the same as 1st battalion?

No. The 1/RWF was a Battalion in the 'Regular' army. The 1/1st (the 1st line, 1st) Brecknockshire Battalion RWF were part of the Territorial Force - link.

For disembarkations up to 31 December 1915, the '5' something theatre codes were:

5 Asiatic Theatre
a) Mesopotamia and Bushire
b ) South West Arabia
c) Aden
d) Muscat (Musquat)
e) Seistan
f) Tochi Valley
g) Hafiz
h) Katlang, Rastam and Swati
i) Landekai Ridge
j) Perim
k) Kalat
l) Katchin Hills 

Without seeing the whole of the MIC or the medal roll, I think that the theatre code may read as 5c.

Regards

Chris

This has been mentioned on here before. Aden was not considered a Theatre of War until 3 July 1915. The Brecknockshire Battalion had been present since 16 December 1914 or thereabouts. They embarked on 5 August 1915 and arrived in Bombay on 11 August 1915, to perform further garrison duties. 

I'm not sure there would be a war diary for the period from 3 July to 5 August 1915. Presumably there are further details in one of C T Atkinson's regimental histories.

To add to the mix,in my other post re my grand father,he along with his (tf) battalion sent  to India but army say he was only entitled to victory medals,as they never fought in europe,YET this chap has a trio ?,I have won the medals and waiting to see them,as far as I am aware all three  are correctly named,as from his mic he did have a service number change

Biffo 

DAVIES.png.5567785dff46dfaee559d09ccc3c79ab.png

Biffo, I'm sure you know this but just in case - David Davies was discharged with a Silver War Badge in 1919, but a further record on FMP seems to show him with a 7-digit service number as well as his original TF one and the 6-digit one he got in the 1917 renumbering. I take this to be a post-war Army number, though I'm no expert (image clipped from TNA website).  

Cheers, Pat

118160407_Screenshot2021-05-10at13_27_40.png.5cc48acebf1e0c305c6b641602e4d45f.png

thank you Pat,will go have a look see,man you would think I would learn,some where I have another Brenocks medals and I had the divil of a job with him,I only bought them because ithey are a  trio and my nosey gland in my neck,on looking at a well known website,why oh why would you call your son Gronwy then not baptise -christen call him that,there are dozens of DG Davies most it seems in SWB :w00t:

Hi Biffo,

If it helps there is a pension index card on Fold3 which gives a birth year and an address.

image.png.eff357ae5d1d4efab7c272e3cfc0966e.png

Image sourced from Fold3

Regards

Chris

Well Chris AGAIN you have dug me out of the shi :w00t:

helped me with my"research"now if only the herbert that wrote out this card rit it in a language I ubderstand,I now have shomething to have a go at

Biffo

The penny has just dropped regarding the difference of the dates shown of the two MICs.

image.png.069ba663673438a4b5c3b8dc067e0828.png

Images sourced from Ancestry

The LLT (link), says...

image.png.6c485134fd6a680fb7caef330a191f32.png

...and 3.7.1915 is when Aden became/was accepted as becoming an active theatre of war - the defence of Aden begins.

Having been discharged as a consequence of sickness in April 1919, he appears to have re-enlisted under his 7 digit number in July 1920.

3904277 Turner - enlisted 24.7.1920 (initially on terms of 1 year)

3904281 Evans - enlisted 22.7.1920 (initially on terms of 1 year)

3904296 Cornock - enlisted 28.7.1920 (initially on terms of 1 year)

3904299 Cook - enlisted 28.7.1920 (initially on terms of 1 year)

Regards

Chris

Hi Biffo,

Just a little bit about your grandfather that you might not have already seen. From the Fold3 pension claim index cards:

image.png.82c420df64c6f95a77db24a8b6e1c9b5.png

image.png.6b729b0ca437dd0a160168657685899e.png

Images sourced from Fold3

Rhetorical question...if the loss of teeth was accepted as being aggravated by war service, I wonder why malaria was considered "not attributable". Perhaps he had it, and made a full recovery, with no ongoing problems ( - let's hope so), but if he didn't...??

Regards

Chris

Hello Chris my grandfather would NEVER talk about ww1,dont know anything about teeth other than he lived in a 2 up 2 down miners cottage,you never went in the front room that was for best :w00t:

so every one didi everything in the "back room"where they had a big kitchen table,his party piece told every one he had his bottom teeth puled one Sunday the rest the next Sunday while sitting at the table.not a nice thought as your having a bowl of cawl.

Mr D.DAVIES,i have found through census,a Brecon  man,this morning I e mailed swb museum with his details,they did reply saying they only had a small staff but would get back to me

Biffo

Edited by BIFFO