Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shoulder title identification

amb

Can anyone make out any detail of this soldier's shoulder title?   This soldier's ID is only speculative.    I'd be grateful for any help.   Many thanks.

1455186519_ArchieCameronfromDumfriesHistorySociety.jpg.a68f182d7d55088e09c45f857ceb3ce2.jpg

It looks like a Royal Garrison Artillery “RGA” title. 

I can’t make it out on my screen.  @CorporalPunishmentmight be able to.

On 10/05/2021 at 00:38, amb said:

Thanks both!

If it’s believed to be the chap who was subsequently commissioned and then KIA, this is the shoulder title of the KOSB.

7C242C84-74CF-4161-ADDE-9C19652BD573.jpeg.7061533b1ecdfa053d488ee56caa33a9.jpeg

He was with the 8th Border Regiment when he died but had been with the 6th KOSB first.   According to the newspaper article he was awarded the MM in Oct 1916 during his first service in France where he was wounded.   According to a note I have he went to France on 23rd October 1916 'with a draft of 80 men'.   So that seems pretty fast work if that's right.

57 minutes ago, amb said:

He was with the 8th Border Regiment when he died but had been with the 6th KOSB first.   According to the newspaper article he was awarded the MM in Oct 1916 during his first service in France where he was wounded.   According to a note I have he went to France on 23rd October 1916 'with a draft of 80 men'.   So that seems pretty fast work if that's right.

It seems likely that the shoulder title is KOSB then.  With very few exceptions officers did not wear shoulder titles with drab khaki service dress, although they did with khaki drill tropical uniform.  When they did wear titles they were smaller in size so as to be able to sit alongside rank stars.

Edited by FROGSMILE

20 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

It certainly looks like KOSB to my eyes.    Pete.

Thanks Pete, I was hoping you would be able to clarify matters.

16 minutes ago, amb said:

Thankyou. It means we can be fairly sure he is Archie Cameron.

I think so, yes.

Sadly it means that my unknown soldier isn't Archie but at least I can cross him off the list of suspects!   But thanks everyone for your help.

708803964_EnhancedUnknownSoldier.JPG.e68184c08d359437ed56ba2c6ad6d4f0.JPG

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It seems likely that the shoulder title is KOSB then.  

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

It certainly looks like KOSB to my eyes.    Pete.

Indeed it is.

A case where less is more.

When I blew the image up I was convinced the second letter was an H.

But zooming out of the image, reveals the first 2 letters clearly to be K & O.

Odd how your brain sometimes just can't interpret the right signals.

Many thanks.  It's good to get further confirmation that he's not my mystery man. Just wish we could pick out the letters on my other soldier's shoulder title.  

42 minutes ago, amb said:

Many thanks.  It's good to get further confirmation that he's not my mystery man. Just wish we could pick out the letters on my other soldier's shoulder title.  

Is there any reason why it should not also be KOSB?  Although a vague appearance I can see the outline of a partial KOSB.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Certainly it's possible.  There was a vague possibility he was called Cameron and with MM and died in 1918 Archie was the name which came up. But now we know it's not him. I'll post a close up image of the shoulder title tomorrow although it's still very blurry.

1 hour ago, amb said:

Certainly it's possible.  There was a vague possibility he was called Cameron and with MM and died in 1918 Archie was the name which came up. But now we know it's not him. I'll post a close up image of the shoulder title tomorrow although it's still very blurry.

He definitely has the MM ribbon I agree so that should remain key in narrowing him down.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Links to three previous threads on this subject.

Thanks Michelle for linking my enquiries.   I hope it's OK to do so but I have repeated my requests in the hope that new eyes might offer new suggestions but I'm not holding my breath.   

FB_IMG_1529346499393.jpg.23b712d50bbe3fbc9fcbab8f8e933ecd.jpg

IMG_20180617_155753.jpg.f270893e63b9eb3dd8697c3204dcd48b.jpg

1777471494_shouldtitledarkEnhanced_photo.jpg.c066385ca9a56074ed6fe81e41dbd321.jpg

• Admin

It’s best just to carry on one thread as it avoids repetition of answers and research being put onto new threads. I’ve also linked your Courts of Enquiry thread to the old one. 

28 minutes ago, amb said:

Thanks Michelle for linking my enquiries.   I hope it's OK to do so but I have repeated my requests in the hope that new eyes might offer new suggestions but I'm not holding my breath.   

FB_IMG_1529346499393.jpg

IMG_20180617_155753.jpg

should title dark Enhanced_photo.jpg

With your enlargement I can definitely see the last two letters as SB to corroborate my first examination (i.e. not feel I’m imagining things) so personally I’m now confident that the title is KOSB.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

With your enlargement I can definitely see the last two letters as SB to corroborate my first examination (i.e. not feel I’m imagining things) so personally I’m now confident that the title is KOSB.

Thanks again.   At least I can try and narrow it down and search KOSB MM died 1918 but forget about him being called Cameron since Archie is the only Cameron I found who matched.

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I agree, KOSB.   Pete.