Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench club or rat clubbers?

Bobber

Hi, my mate bought this today and we wondered if it could possibly be a ww1 trench club,  a more recent creation or will we never know? Cheers.

Screenshot_20210508-185204_WhatsApp.jpg.0c923112eb3c41bc0aa4481a0f57d207.jpg

Screenshot_20210508-185632_WhatsApp.jpg.8b8fcce2c8b2855cf6ec7721eec60fca.jpg

Do not remember off hand, but there is a recent book, 1-3 years old on trench clubs, will look for title later. Both Germany and, ( I think Britain) officially made various types of these clubs for the same purpose. Raiders. Soldiers who sneaked into enemy trenches to capture, and maybe sabotage. Stealth was needed, so clubs became ideal and much needed. Many home made clubs, made from the trenches were also made, and hard to authenticate today. Your photo looks factory made

Raiders capture to bring back to interrogate for intelligence 

Looks like a chair leg to me. Any idea what the spikes are made of? They look quite new

19 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Looks like a chair leg to me..

With signs of recently made saw marks!

Not the sort of thing to take on a trench raid. if carried in pocket it might bee hard to take it out. The spikes might get caught. If carried using wrist strap it might cause injury to carrier if he slipped over.

Yea, you guy’s are right, looks like chair leg, Could be real trench club or anything else? I was looking mostly at the light rust/age look of the spikes/studs more than anything else.

The “ trench made”,  being home made, I would not be able to tell a real trench from anything else

3 hours ago, johnboy said:

Looks like a chair leg to me. Any idea what the spikes are made of? They look quite new

+1. There's nothing to grip on at the "handle" end. That's got to be a recent creation.

Would anyone really have considered assaulting an enemy trench with a chair leg? The studs look scary but I doubt that they add enough heft to make this a weapon capable of confidently knocking an enemy senseless at first swing. 

On 09/05/2021 at 09:02, wainfleet said:

That's got to be a recent creation.

Very recent. 

After 100+ years, there is absolutely no dirt in the saw marks where the dowel has been cut flush. 

311A917F-537D-41AF-930F-F61AADA1393D.jpeg.6e9967da75d42dbc1591772cb6108641.jpeg

56 minutes ago, hoopharted said:

yup , some bored kid , and a frustrated mother who now owns a 3 leg'd kitchen table

PLEASE DON'T GIVE MY SON IDEAS!!!

;-)