Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgium Army abbreviations

Ski

Good afternoon all,

I wonder if anyone is able to translate the following abbreviations found at the bottom of postcard from a Belgium Soldier to British soldier please?

Many thanks 

Lee

16204807136132585990750427744578.jpg.63af8658f83ef3c2e971654814ac14bf.jpg

E.T.E. 9: lye
Kriel s/m France

Not sure about the first line.
The second looks like a Flandrification of a Norman village name. Criel sur Mer in the Dieppe arondissement, Seine Maritime département, Normandie. I guess he had some form of address here, presumably his prior place of residence was under occupation by the forces of the Kaiser.

16 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Not sure about the first line.
The second looks like a Flandrification of a Norman village name. Criel sur Mer in the Dieppe arondissement, Seine Maritime département, Normandie. I guess he had some form of address here, presumably his prior place of residence was under occupation by the forces of the Kaiser.

Just one remark "lye" should be "Gr" (short for "groupe" probably).

I agree with Kriel s/m meaning Criel sur Mer.

I'm thinking whether I can find something for "ETE".

Jan

There was a Belgian training camp in Criel sur Mer, see https://bel-memorial.org/cities/abroad/france/criel-sur-mer_seine-maritime/criel-sur-mer_carre_mil.htm

large.jpg

I can't find a list of Belgian abbreviation immediately. Training camps should usually be something like CI... (Centre d'Instruction...). Perhaps ETE means something like "Ecole Technique ..."?

The French Army had various E.T.E.M. - Escadron du Train des Équipages Militaires

Could he have been part of the artillery and train? Is it the case that the record of Frankie van Meerbeek would need to be consulted at the archives?

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions. Criel Sur Mer certainly seems to make sense as it's so close to Treport which would explain how Frankie came into contact with a British soldier.

Keith, you mention the archives; how would I go about finding those of a Belgium Soldier please? As I have no experience in researching that area.

Also, I noticed in the top corner of the card the annotation "SM", which I'm assuming in the Belgium equivalent of the British OAS?

Thanks again

Lee

Edited by Ski

The Belgian Army is known as the Armée Belge and the Belgisch Leger in French and Flemish respectively. I have deliberately added these words, so they come up in the search results.

All being well, you can get some more info via the following website:

http://www.klm-mra.be/D7t/en/content/military-personel-files

Best of luck
Keith

Hi Keith,

That's brilliant. Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes 

Lee

Hello,

You need a birth date to be able to find his file. SM means "service militaire" (military service), it was used to show a stamp was not needed.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the advice. Looking on the website link from Keith the only possible I could see was a Francois Van Meerbeek with a date of birth of 10/02/86?

Many thanks 

Lee

26 minutes ago, Ski said:

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the advice. Looking on the website link from Keith the only possible I could see was a Francois Van Meerbeek with a date of birth of 10/02/86?

Many thanks 

Lee

No. The files at the Royal Army Museum are only the files of soldiers born before 31 December 1888 (if I recall correctly). The files for the men born after that date are kept in Evere and there's no catalog of those.

Jan

Thanks for the the clarification Jan. 

All the answers have certainly helped in deciphering the card and put some context to it.

Thanks again 

Lee

6 hours ago, AOK4 said:

No. The files at the Royal Army Museum are only the files of soldiers born before 31 December 1888 (if I recall correctly). The files for the men born after that date are kept in Evere and there's no catalog of those.

Jan

There's no catalog, but I've already once managed to get access to the files of a WWI soldier. And I have access to Evere. PM me if you want me to hit the archives. i've got a little bit of time on my hands in the next weeks. 

M.

Hi Marilyne,

Many thanks for the offer

I'll send you a PM.

Best wishes 

Lee