Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does not sign renunciation = Ralph GOSS

Matlock1418

Yet another gap in my knowledge ...

[Have posted as a separate thread though similar to another recent thread with a similar surname, and BRCS - as I do know how these topics can become very personal to the men, and thus probably better kept apart]

1216514729_GOSSR.(BRCSCook).png.bcb1397f9d03f73e5b524e73ea669b87.png

Image courtesy of Ancestry - with thanks

Hoping the forum could perhaps help explain the "Does not sign renunciation" bit please.

[Not to sell them ??? - got that somewhere in the back of my brain but not at all sure where from]

[Otherwise the other 'renunciation' I recall was from alcohol - abstinence / tea-totality - the 'Pledge' - but not sure how that might be a problem for the issue of medals]

???

:-/ M

On his 1915 Star Medal Award Roll it states "Star Ret'd" and "Guarantee not signed". Similarly on his War and Victory Medal Roll.

This does not make things any clearer!

Martin

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

"Does not sign renunciation form"

He has refused the medals but will not sign the form recording this?

I've come across a possibility in the states, but never heard of it in connection with the UK.

Congress in the US set out a list of religious groups who could claim exemption from the draft as Conscientious Objectors. Individuals could then sign a form renouncing their right to exemption, either in full or restricting themselves to non-combat roles.

Given that he is serving with the Red Cross overseas as a Cook even potentially after conscription came in that might be a consideration. Unfortunately not been able to get into the British Red Cross WW1 pages for several weeks now so can't see if there is anything more for him there.

Cheers,

Peter

The MIC for Frank Goss, also BRCS, has "Medals scrapped. Guarantee not signed" written on it.

Both Ralph and Frank Goss were members of the Friends Ambulance Unit, so were possibly Quakers. There is further information about them (including photographs) on the website https://fau.quaker.org.uk

Martin

Thank you to all for your interest and thoughts.

1 hour ago, tootrock said:

On his 1915 Star Medal Award Roll it states "Star Ret'd" and "Guarantee not signed". Similarly on his War and Victory Medal Roll.

Martin,

Hadn't looked at the MR - so thank you.  Had wondered if the Guarantee annotation seen elsewhere in my other very similar enquiry in this sub-forum, was possibly essentially the same.

37 minutes ago, tootrock said:

The MIC for Frank Goss, also BRCS, has "Medals scrapped. Guarantee not signed" written on it.

Both Ralph and Frank Goss were members of the Friends Ambulance Unit, so were possibly Quakers. There is further information about them (including photographs) on the website https://fau.quaker.org.uk

Again more thanks.

I had also fleetingly wondered about Quakers, or similar Non-Conformists, as a possibility [as potentially likely to renounce any medal reward for their services]

The FAU link was especially appreciated.  Looking at that very interesting, and useful, website - it appears Ralph Goss's special qualification was "Invalid cooking"

[Frank Goss - As my other very similar enquiry in this sub-forum! Frank Goss's special qualification was also "Cooking"]

= Still, not seen these sort of declarations on MIC before - so still seeking further info, as I trust of likely interest to others too.

In hope ...

:-) M

2 hours ago, Kath said:

He has refused the medals but will not sign the form recording this?

Returning to your post - I see where you were going with it.

Thanks.

:-/ M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

1 hour ago, PRC said:

I've come across a possibility in the states, but never heard of it in connection with the UK.

Congress in the US set out a list of religious groups who could claim exemption from the draft as Conscientious Objectors. Individuals could then sign a form renouncing their right to exemption, either in full or restricting themselves to non-combat roles.

Given that he is serving with the Red Cross overseas as a Cook even potentially after conscription came in that might be a consideration.

Thanks to @tootrock and the FAU website we can see that Ralph Goss had an Absolute Exemption as a Conscientious Objector - thus his Quaker FAU service.

Valuable service, but in a different way.

Doesn't look like he wanted his medals whichever way.

:-) M

Further to the above. Looking through the names in the BRCS Medal Roll, every so often one comes across the statement in the remarks column "B.W. & V.M. ret'd not required".

Almost invariably these men are members of the Friends Ambulance Unit. Being Quakers they presumably did not want to be awarded "War" medals.

Martin