Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with battalion

leahmerrett

Hello all, i am searching for the Battalion for my great grandfather William James Thomas, all i have is his medal card which doesn't give the Battalion. i have done a search on NA for his name in officers records but cannot find him. Am i missing anything so i can download the war diaries. 

many thanks 

1667858148_Screenshot2021-05-07at10_01_29.png.9463600ed19f868d11416402651eb126.png

6 minutes ago, leahmerrett said:

you have to excuses my ignorance, what does that mean? he was made 2/Lt after the war?

Yes, Leah.  On the date quoted.

Hi Leah,

The publication of his commission in the London Gazette...

image.png.90e5c8b081b51820bd95ba952580fa62.png

image.png.0395fdea34143a9c7cc729864608cfbe.png

image.png.5a6172442d299dee4f868946720d3e87.png

Images sourced from Findmypast

Do any of these DoBs fit?

image.png.dcb5f96d4f116e555a7c14643e033345.png

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, yes he is the 4th one down, 24th Dec 1883 in Bethnal Green. would that be his new service number?

6584096 comes from the number block allocated to men serving with the London Regiment as part of the 1920 Army renumbering. However I didn't think that included officers.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/new-british-army-numbers-issued-in-1920/

There is also a bit of an anomaly there. As our parent site, the Long, Long Trail puts it:-

The London Regiment was unusual. Not only were all of its battalions of the Territorial Force (although the first four were affiliated to the other City of London regiment, the all-regular Royal Fusiliers) but each battalion was regarded as a corps in its own right.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/london-regiment/

So his new service number could reflect that he was serving with one of the four Royal Fusilier affliated London Regiment Battalions.

Clear as ditchwater:)

Peter

14 minutes ago, PRC said:

6584096 comes from the number block allocated to men serving with the London Regiment as part of the 1920 Army renumbering. However I didn't think that included officers.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/new-british-army-numbers-issued-in-1920/

There is also a bit of an anomaly there. As our parent site, the Long, Long Trail puts it:-

The London Regiment was unusual. Not only were all of its battalions of the Territorial Force (although the first four were affiliated to the other City of London regiment, the all-regular Royal Fusiliers) but each battalion was regarded as a corps in its own right.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/london-regiment/

So his new service number could reflect that he was serving with one of the four Royal Fusilier affliated London Regiment Battalions.

Clear as ditchwater:)

Peter

definitely ditchwater, thank you though for the info

Hi Leah,

The spreadsheet is an extract of a list the MoD published of service files in their possession, where the men served post WW1. If you were to be a gambler, you should be able get a copy for £30.00 - see here. I understand that their is a considerable wait though. There is a helpdesk phone number here.

Regards

Chris

If commissioned in 1919 why would he have a new service number in 1920 if he was still serving as an officer? I thought an officer did not have a service number.

13 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

If commissioned in 1919 why would he have a new service number in 1920 if he was still serving as an officer? I thought an officer did not have a service number.

The 1920 shake up saw army numbers issued to all those serving.

The war diary at the National archives

1965469355_12fusiliers.JPG.f7ade8b9d7c36b9ae481aa232e54562f.JPG

LINK

The war diary can be downloaded FREE you will have to register first

Ray

8 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

The war diary at the National archives

1965469355_12fusiliers.JPG.f7ade8b9d7c36b9ae481aa232e54562f.JPG

LINK

The war diary can be downloaded FREE you will have to register first

Ray

thank you Ray. Im reading through those as we speak, i was hoping he would be named but not found anything yet.

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Leah,

The spreadsheet is an extract of a list the MoD published of service files in their possession, where the men served post WW1. If you were to be a gambler, you should be able get a copy for £30.00 - see here. I understand that their is a considerable wait though. There is a helpdesk phone number here.

Regards

Chris

hi Chris, its worth a gamble i think. thank you so much for this info