Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

100 km around Ypres - lots of picture possibilities

Marilyne

Good Morning all, 

Newt week  during the long WE, I'll be in Ypres for four days of walking. I don't have the tracks (yet) but the aim is just to follow the arrows from 11 possible starting places around Ypres. So while I cannot guarantee passage at every single cemetery on the Salient, we will pass the following locations: 

• St Jan
  • Vlamertinge
  • Brandhoek
  • Essex Farm site
  • Boezinge
  • Zillebeke
  • Sanctuary wood - Hooge area
  • Dikkebus
  • Palingbeek
  • Ypres town cemeteries
  • the waffle shop at Ypres.

So we won't probably go as far as Zonnebeke and Tyne cot or on the other side of Pops, but stay within 10-15 km around Ypres itself. 

At the chance you need an urgent picture from the Salient, just send your requests to me and as soon as I have the exact tracks, I'll be able to tell you if I can make it or not. And if it's not on the track and it's urgent, I'll drive round... 

Marilyne

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

the waffle shop at Ypres

Três amusant.......:(

It was too easy... 

If you do indeed find yourself in Brandhoek and specifically Brandhoek New Military Cemetery No. 3 could you stop by Bombardier Charles Frederick Stait (4602) of the Australian Field Artillery. His grave is I. B. 14 and definitely I would appreciate a photo of his grave and even more the knowledge that someone said hello even though I don't think he's a close relation and indeed I'm not exactly sure where he fits in to 'my' Australian Stait's but logically he's one of them given the unusualness of the surname.

Obviously if your route isn't near there then no worries for there's no hurry or urgency to this request.

Many thanks,

P

Marilyne,

Yet another kind offer - thank you!

I would be grateful for photos of the following :

Aerodrome Cemetery - 42584 Pte A. LARKIN  1/5 York & Lancaster Regt    Plot II. A. 28

Dickebusch New Military Cemetery - Cpl Joseph BURLAND  7/York & Lancaster Regt   Plot H. 41

Oak Dump Cemetery - Pte W. BOOTH  10/York & Lancaster Regt  Plot B . 2

Voormezeele Enclosures Number 1 and 2 - Pte J. STONE  10/York & Lancaster Regt  Plot I. L. 3

Have a good walk!

On 07/05/2021 at 14:22, Polar Bear said:

If you do indeed find yourself in Brandhoek and specifically Brandhoek New Military Cemetery No. 3 could you stop by Bombardier Charles Frederick Stait (4602) of the Australian Field Artillery. His grave is I. B. 14 and definitely I would appreciate a photo of his grave and even more the knowledge that someone said hello even though I don't think he's a close relation and indeed I'm not exactly sure where he fits in to 'my' Australian Stait's but logically he's one of them given the unusualness of the surname.

Obviously if your route isn't near there then no worries for there's no hurry or urgency to this request.

Many thanks,

P

Noted and will be done! 

We will be at Brandhoek anyway because one of our party never visited Chavasses's grave. 

M.

On 08/05/2021 at 15:35, Mangham1 said:

Marilyne,

Yet another kind offer - thank you!

I would be grateful for photos of the following :

Aerodrome Cemetery - 42584 Pte A. LARKIN  1/5 York & Lancaster Regt    Plot II. A. 28

Dickebusch New Military Cemetery - Cpl Joseph BURLAND  7/York & Lancaster Regt   Plot H. 41

Voormezeele Enclosures Number 1 and 2 - Pte J. STONE  10/York & Lancaster Regt  Plot I. L. 3

Have a good walk!

Noted. 

Aerodrome will definitely be too far off our roads, but I'll check for the others. 

M.

11 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Noted and will be done! 

We will be at Brandhoek anyway because one of our party never visited Chavasses's grave. 

M.

Thank you very, very much.

P

Having received the tracks this WE, I'm now able to pinpoint more into detail the cemeteries we will definitely pass. 

St Jan:

• White House 
  • Oxford Road 
  • Wieltje Farm

Ypres;

• Essex Farm site
  • Dunhallow ADS
  • Ramparts

Vlamertinge

Brandhoek

Zillebeke day: 

• Zillebeke churchyard
  • Sanctuary wood 
  • Spoilbank Cemetery
  • Chester Farm 
  • Hedge Row Trench

Dikkebus & Voormezele are (for now) not on the marching plans, but I'll see how far I get sunday with the car... if not I'll go back one day on my own to walk the last two tracks. 

Keep the requests coming... first day of marching is thursday !! 

M.

As you know apart from my waffle issues I am fascinated by the way the Messines feature dominates the salient. If on your march you happen to catch sight of either of the churches on the ridge, or the mast between them I'd be very interested if you can get pictures. Not a problem if you don't pass any good viewpoints however. Have a great time, I'm sure it will be fun to put the band back together again......

Pete.

On 09/05/2021 at 15:10, Marilyne said:

because one of our party never visited Chavasses's grave.

I can't believe that there is anyone who hasn't visited it, amazing.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I can't believe that there is anyone who hasn't visited it, amazing.

It gets better... just got the "go" from our course director to organize a trip to the Salient with our Division... I'm going to tell the the story of 3rd Ypres through the eyes of a number of interesting persons ... we have international students who've never been to the Salient tout court!!! 

M.

@Marilyne:

A friend pointed me to the fact that you visit Brit cemeteries only.  He also advised me that the British were not alone around Ypres but it is said the Germans were there too. They have a cemetery in range in Menen. If I would be your Division leader, I would direct you to observe the European side of the tragedy. On the other side- my time as Division leader in Nato ended in 2011.....

Egbert, 

I visit all cemeteries when walking, and the Division's day of visit will be planned accordingly. We will, time permitting, also pass Langemarck. 

The tracks for the 100km of ypres (which this post is about) and other marches are not chosen by me but by the organisation of the respective events... I just take the map and see what WWI spots we pass.

the tracks of this year's COVID edition only pass British cemeteries... and one french, namely St Charles de Potijze. They had to stick to turns starting in Ypres itself, there is no bus to ferry people around... 

M.

@Polar Bear: We went to Brandhoek today and I made your requested picture. 

This is a small version of one of the pics, if you end me a PM with an e-mail address, I'll wetransfer you the pics in big resolution next week. 

DSC05513.JPG.f14556c5d8278a1245fc29df3a629be5.JPG

Greetz from the Salient, 

Marilyne and the Walking Bear. 

2 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

@Polar Bear: We went to Brandhoek today and I made your requested picture. 

This is a small version of one of the pics, if you end me a PM with an e-mail address, I'll wetransfer you the pics in big resolution next week. 

DSC05513.JPG.f14556c5d8278a1245fc29df3a629be5.JPG

Greetz from the Salient, 

Marilyne and the Walking Bear. 

Thank you so, so very much (and PM will be sent),

P

On 08/05/2021 at 23:35, Mangham1 said:

Hi, 

did a little detour on day 3 to pass Oak Dump.

I'll do Dickebusch and Voormezele in a couple of weeks when I'll do my recce for the Salient Staff ride I have to organize 

874245690_DSC05635small.jpg.038e90a1fea32332ae5540f7c599633b.jpg

If you PM me an email address I can send you a wetransfer with the pics in high resolution. 

M.