Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manlicher Model 1905

hoopharted

apologies , i mis spoke in the other thread , its been a while since i had it out of the safe and for some reason i was remembering it as a 1901 , but it is a 1905

11,000 produced over 5 years, matching serial numbers , internal mag 

P1010215.jpg.afb58dd48dbb40c284fb073e26fff69f.jpg

P1010216.jpg.4ddf44d6d0d395a96cf815a5875114af.jpg

P1010217.jpg.d98e2e877acf118cb68b3c8bc88f326a.jpg

P1010220.jpg.084846cad33a965152832c5d8369b618.jpg

P1010221.jpg.e09f78c0970e04c9baca530431a138cf.jpg

P1010222.jpg.a9bf9c30d87d1df2fbc4fa89462c0dfd.jpg

P1010226.jpg.8ad408f33d747d40fe54686e489e543d.jpg

P1010224.jpg.5fc93dd306490d2f678e2d22cd56fac8.jpg

Its nice pistol M1905 as on side plate, this was not a austrian army model, it was destined only for export,when i correctly remember.

Edited by AndyBsk

so the fact it has no unit markings ,and it was a export only model its more than likely a civilian use piece?

mine has no Argentine crest on the right side , do you think it was scrubbed?

When civilian market it should have commerzial proof, which i dont see anywhere, from serial number i would tend to contract mostly Argentine, in front of serial on barell is some letter proofs in circle?

holy crap , i never noticed that before , ve had that pistol for 20+ years , its lightly struck , i can use a magnifying app with my phone let me take a pic of that , i cant make it out 

This should be a fireproof,possible it could be compared with period rifles of Argentina or other firearms.

Its probably T in circle for Tormentation, on right side should be removed the arg.crest, anyway Your pistol looks like a smaller version with not fully capacity of handle? possible conversion between 1900 and 1905 modell, not the full range Arg,M1905. Handle looks like You earlier mentioned a M1901 modell,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannlicher_M1901

question how many round there could accepted into magazine. You should go to focused forum on pistols, as is Axis forum or others or search in literature.

Edited by AndyBsk

i do not know capacity of magazine , always figured 8 rds like the literature said , i have no ammo , i dug out some wildcat rds that i thought went to this weapon but they are larger than the chamber

the right side shows no indication of anything been scrubbed, its even , flat ,not dished at all ,and the patina matches the rest of the piece , if it was scrubbed they did a much better job of it than all the others ive seen pictures of

The Zuk book speaks about variation of M1905 as with 120 or 152mm long barell and capacity of 8/10 rounds,on internet are pictured arg.crest removed pieces in range of sn7xxxx with 10 rounds in handle,You could proof a .32acp stack into handle.

26 minutes ago, hoopharted said:

.32 ACP chamber but will not feed or load well

.32 ACP is semi-rimmed where the Mannlicher case is rimless; it's also about 4mm too short.

Internet gossip suggests that cut-down and sized .30 M1 carbine cases will work.

i believe thats what my wild cats are ,necked down .30 cal ,they will not fit in the chamber , i always thought they were part of the purchase ,they look sketchy so i stuffed them away , as i said ive had the pistol over 20 years and the ammo i remember as long , i might just be remembering the ammo and pistol association wrong because of time

7.63 mm Mannlicher is impossible to find ,which is why i always assumed/associated the wildcats with this pistol when ever rooting around for something and i would find the ammo and think of this pistol , thinking someone with reloading skills got creative 

P1010053.jpg.7148037ea9eabe8037ce27efee9a43dd.jpg

P1010055.jpg.d7e95552ad7355e943c630841f35925d.jpg

at one time i had over 200 weapons ,its hard to keep it all straight after all these years

It was only for magazine capacity the 32 should be not loaded into chamber,anyway there exist some old rounds on ammo market.

well , they wouldnt thumb load and i have no strippers for this weapon , also the 2 i managed to get in , would not eject with the mag feature at the top of the grip and they were a pain getting back out

You're showing a bottleneck case in your last pic, that doesn't quite look like 7,63 Mauser or 7,65 Parabellum. Is that one that wouldn't chamber? All the 1905 ammunition I've seen pictures of has a straight case.

4 hours ago, MikB said:

You're showing a bottleneck case in your last pic, that doesn't quite look like 7,63 Mauser or 7,65 Parabellum. Is that one that wouldn't chamber? All the 1905 ammunition I've seen pictures of has a straight case.

i thought they were wildcats someone cut down from 30 cal because its inpossible to get 7.63 here , i dont know what they go to anymore or where i got them

10 hours ago, hoopharted said:

i thought they were wildcats someone cut down from 30 cal because its inpossible to get 7.63 here , i dont know what they go to anymore or where i got them

Dunno whether there's some confusion got in here at some point (maybe in the past) between the straight .30 M1 carbine case - from which Mannlicher 1905 cases might be made - and the bottleneck .30-06 case - from which they couldn't. Your pictured round does look as if it might have originated as a cut-down, necked-down .30-06. 

The 7,63 is a bottleneck case, but clearly smaller in body diameter than .30-06. I'm not clear on whether there is a 7,63 Mannlicher that's dimensionally different from 7,63 Mauser, but if it's similar, 7,62 Tokarev cases should be interchangeable if they're obtainable. 

i guess the bottle neck could be cut down 30.06 rounds , but the majority of them at closer look carry the same exact head stamp of L C 52 "Lake City" "52=year" as the carbine rounds , and it might explain that they were all acquired together ,which is a whole new mystery because i have never owned anything chambered in .30 cal , only Military or Military based U.S. weapons i own/or have owned was a couple M1 Garands for a time and the M1a i still own , if i ever owned a Carbine i would have been more apt to hang onto it , didnt care for the Garand and ended up trading them off during the period when i did a purge to cut down on ammunition calibers i had to keep in stock

but to clear up the confusion , i believe over time i thought that the wildcats were part of the deal when i acquired the 1905 , clearly i was wrong , they were stuffed in a box with other obscure items and stored out of mind , i would never squeeze a trigger on something that sketchy , i may have picked up both sets of ammo at a flea market one Saturday , or in a entirely different acquisition , who knows

the stubby wildcats will not enter the chamber  , the .32 ACP will but will not load or extract from the magazine , i locked the slide back with the safety block engaged  to test all of this , i think i remember going through this when i acquired it which explains why its been a unfired safe queen for 20+years

no one on the Axis board seems interested in it so it is what it is at this point and thankyou for all your help , at least i learned of the fire proof i didnt know was there

The only reason I floated 7,63 Mauser/7,72 Tokarev as bottleneck rounds is that the hole in the breech end *looks* bigger than .32" ACP to me, but my estimation could be out.