Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Fred Bartle SN 28356 2nd Bn Grenadier Guards Born April 1886 Died 09/10/1917

Landy67

Hi everyone I am very new to this and would like any info on the above solider who is my Great Uncle. I would love a photo or guidance where I might look for one. I have only just researched my family ancestors and finding it quite difficult to find any info. I know he has a his name on panel 9 at Tyne Cot memorial and a cousin seems to think he was killed at the Battle of Pilckem Ridge. He was born in a Kneesall a small village in Nottinghamshire to his father Fred Bartle and Mother Mary ( Todd) Bartle. If anyone can help with any information it would be greatly received.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Firstly have a look at the Long Long Trail (click tab link at top of this forum) for lots of research tips

On CWGC Casualty Details | CWGC is his entry

and you could request a photo from

Photograph of the final resting place of Bartle, Fred - The War Graves Photographic Project (twgpp.org)

I am sure other members will be soon on the case, please advise if you have subscription to such as Ancestry or Find My Past as that will assist with links

regards

Jon

Edited by jonbem

On National Archive his Medal Index Card (free once registered)

Medal card of Bartle, Fred Corps: Grenadier Guards Regiment No: 28356 ... | The National Archives

A colour version will be on Ancestry, again free if registered

The war diary on National Archives -free if registered

2 Battalion Grenadier Guards | The National Archives

Reference:WO 95/1215/1

Description:

2 Battalion Grenadier Guards

Date:1915 Aug. - 1919 Jan.

On Ancestry HERE it says on image 272

image.png.b354fbb21d2a1dd43541d1430ed21426.png

so will need to scroll through for that report from image 277

Trench map from McMaster

World War I Military Maps & Aerial Photography (mcmaster.ca)

[Ypres Region : 4th Battle of Ypres] | Digital Archive @ McMaster University Library

in the area of 

Place Map Sheet # Map Squares
Elverdinghe 28NW1 B15

Landy67,

It may be worth checking with the local newspapers of the day to see if they published a photo of him?

Regards,

Kev Loughnane  

On 06/05/2021 at 15:30, jonbem said:

Hi and welcome to the forum

Firstly have a look at the Long Long Trail (click tab link at top of this forum) for lots of research tips

On CWGC Casualty Details | CWGC is his entry

and you could request a photo from

Photograph of the final resting place of Bartle, Fred - The War Graves Photographic Project (twgpp.org)

I am sure other members will be soon on the case, please advise if you have subscription to such as Ancestry or Find My Past as that will assist with 

Thankyou for your help. 

Would just like to say thankyou to everyone for all your help.  I've discovered lots of new information about my Great Uncle and am excited to follow up on all this history.