Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Bryan Mahon

Dirty Harry

Hello

apologies in advance if this has been asked before, but did the General write his memoirs at all, or has someone written a biography? Have looked around online but can’t find anything obvious 

cheers

paul

I have never seen one, but maybe someone knows better. It would cetainly merit being added to the Salonika Campaign Society bibliography.

Keith

I can't find anything myself, although he provided the introduction to a few books on Gallipoli / Salonika (e.g. Marguerite Fedden's Sister's quarters: Salonika.

He has an entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Bibliography, and that too shows no printed sources for his life.

sJ

Re the absence of a Mahon autobiography:-

On Churchill on being told that Mr. Atlee was a modest man, WSC is reported to have retorted, 'He has much to be modest about.' I feel the same way about Mahon, who walked off the Suvla battlefield in umbrage at the appointment of de Lisle. If a ranker hand done that then the consequences would have been most serious indeed.

18 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Re the absence of a Mahon autobiography:-

On Churchill on being told that Mr. Atlee was a modest man, WSC is reported to have retorted, 'He has much to be modest about.' I feel the same way about Mahon, who walked off the Suvla battlefield in umbrage at the appointment of de Lisle. If a ranker hand done that then the consequences would have been most serious indeed.

Agreed. On the face of it, his behaviour at Suvla was appalling. 

Wondering if there was more to this than meets the eye.  The following morning after Mahon's row, my Great Grandfather (Pte Dunn, see footer) was disciplined for arguing with an officer.  I wondered if he had argued about  pioneers being sent up Kiretch Tepe on a suicide mission (with the enemy almost vertically above them, lobbing bombs down upon their heads.)

He fell at that location - along with many others.

Edited by Norrette

well i guess that answers that question.

would there be an papers held in either the Republics archive or TNA? can find snippetts but nothing much

Hi Dirty Harry, 

I am quite confident in saying Mahon did not publish any memoirs unfortunately. 

If he had written memoirs they would have been a key source for many books in relation Suvla, Salonika, 10th Div, etc. The absence of such from bibliographies is telling enough. 

There is a good, if brief biography of him here

As a senator in the Irish Free State from 1922 to 1930, any statements made in the Seanad house are recorded.

This site shows links to any comments he made in the Seanad While I know he campaigned for the rights of ex. Soldiers, I doubt you will statements relevant to his Army career.  

If you do find anything more, I would be interested to know. 

Jervis

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. I hadnt realsied how difficult it was to get information on the 10ths involvement in Salonika !  

5 hours ago, Dirty Harry said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I hadnt realsied how difficult it was to get information on the 10ths involvement in Salonika !  

Hi Harry,

If you mean 10th Division, there is plenty of information, from the battle of Kosturino to actions in the Struma Valley, in all the standard texts on Salonika, including 'Under the Devils Eye', the 'Gardeners of Salonika' and 'The Official History'. However as mentioned there doesn't appear to be a biography of General Mahon, but his role in the campaign is covered in all of these books, for example there are 35 page references for Gen Mahon in the index of the Official History Volume I and another in Volume II.

should qualify myself, i mean records online.  Im currently reading 'under the devils eye' - great read

On 06/05/2021 at 21:41, Jervis said:

As a senator in the Irish Free State from 1922 to 1930, any statements made in the Seanad house are recorded.
Jervis

I wasn't aware of that.  This has piqued my interest again.  The disciplinary I referred to above was for the argument with Lt MacAndrew signed off by Granard  - Mahon had left the day before.

I had (rightly or wrongly) presumed* my GGrandfather had got on with Mahon, my puzzle is now why.  GGrandfather had signed the Ulster Covenant.

(*am not a good historian :( )

21 hours ago, Norrette said:

I wasn't aware of that.  This has piqued my interest again.  The disciplinary I referred to above was for the argument with Lt MacAndrew signed off by Granard  - Mahon had left the day before.

I had (rightly or wrongly) presumed* my GGrandfather had got on with Mahon, my puzzle is now why.  GGrandfather had signed the Ulster Covenant.

(*am not a good historian :( )

I am not fully sure I understand what the question is? 

However I would not assume because Mahon was a senator in the Irish Free state he had a Nationalist outlook.

Mahon was a Unionist first and foremost. He was also a first cousin of Edward Carson who created the Ulster covenant. However I believe Mahon’s views may have been more moderate than his cousin. 

I wonder if Mahon is mentioned in John Powell's book 'Haig's Tower of Strength: General Sir Edward Bulfin, Ireland's Forgotten General'. Bulfin was commander of 60th Division serving under Mahon in Salonika. 

3 hours ago, Jervis said:

However I would not assume because Mahon was a senator in the Irish Free state he had a Nationalist outlook....He was also a first cousin of Edward Carson who created the Ulster covenant.

Now that adds a bit more sense to my assumptions

Edit.  My only source apart from GGF's service record is 'The Tenth (Irish) Division in Gallipoli' by Bryan Cooper with an introduction by Major-Gen. Sir Bryan Mahon D.S.O with 'appreciations' by Mr Asquith, Mr Balfour, Sir Edward Carson & Mr John Redmond.  ISBN 1-84342-640-4  www.naval-military-press.com

Edited by Norrette

2 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

I wonder if Mahon is mentioned in John Powell's book 'Haig's Tower of Strength

He isn't mentioned (I know the author)