Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I bought a Vickers

N White

No,  not like that!  (I wish).

Browsing Ebay I ran across something interesting.  Shortened 1907 bayonet, with what looked like a Turkish style scabbard.

I got it cheap, probably because nobody looked at the later pics, that showed it was a Vickers!

So, 4 18 Vickers.  Heavily ground blade, fits scabbard perfectly.  It WAS unit marked at one time, but you can see a shallow divot where it was ground mostly off.  Not enough left to read.  Too bad!  Whether it was a GW era capture, or ended up in Turkey later, I doubt we will ever know.

It still fits an Enfield, if anything the muzzle ring is slightly looser than normal fit.

20210505_173414.jpg.33d043ed4e4f9efc00456bd35ba41d2c.jpg

20210505_173426.jpg.8ca48425d6a3ae883c03d3c0cdc4e1ae.jpg

20210505_173439.jpg.fc708f55684018b5ee29fdcd04aff3af.jpg

20210505_173451.jpg.61a98d53d0c201284a2eade1d65bf5c5.jpg

I saw that one too! but I already have way too many turked bayonets!

Nice glad it went to someone who knew what it was!

Chris

Yeah, it was kind of a "well I dont have a Turked 1907 yet.  And its probably the only Turked Vickers out there, and I don't have a Vickers yet... eh lets try it".  I wanted to see if it still fit an smle, or had any unit marks still visible.

I thought I might get it.  I didn't think I'd get it for 5 bucks above the 1 other bid.

Nice. I wish I could find things like that when browsing eBay. eBay UK doesn’t allow the sale of bayonets.

Apparently this is because when a British criminal is in the mood to go out and stab someone, the first thing they do is to go onto eBay and look for an antique bayonet for sale. Or something. 🙄

Certainly a fun-piece to have - Turked P.1907's are not that common.

It could just be a late WW1 capture, but don't forget that GB supplied Turkey with SMLE's, and I assume bayonets to go with, in the 30's and  - I think - in the 40's, to encourage them to stay away from the 3Reich. 

No visible reissues, but it is possible if they were shallow the grinding obliterated them.

If I am someday able to recover the unit mark, it may say more.