Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Small Arms Ammunition delivery

Waggoner

I know how artillery ammunition was moved from the railhead to to front lines. Was SAA delivered in the same way or was another system used? Basically, was it an ASC or RA task?

All the best,

Gary

No thoughts on this?

I don't know the answer.

I do know that quite a lot of unit diaries I have read describe SAA carrying parties from the rear area to trenches - so this seems to have been undertaken by the Battalions themselves (working parties going back and bringing boxes of SAA into the line) . But as to how the ammunition arrived in the rear areas immediately behind the front line I do not know.

Chris

I would have though the ASC would have been responsible for the transport of ammunition using rail, horse and motor transport as far forward as these methods of transport would take them. How far this was behind the Reserve Trench, I am not sure.  From this point on, carrying parties from the battalions occupying the reserve and support trenches would have been responsible for carrying the supplies forward.

Looking further into this, the ASC would have moved the supplies to forward supply dumps to be handed over to the Quartermaster of the front line units. I would have thought these forward supply dumps would have been several miles behind the front line out of range of the enemies field guns?