Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with nurse's service record

Mike Colless

Hi all,

I have come across some abbreviations in a service record that I am unsure about. The lines are:

Det. for duty with No. 2 Com. Dep. Weymouth (Sts. AANS)

Presumably the Sts. refers to the type of communication recieved from the AANS - is it short for 'supplements'?

Later in the record it says:

AWD ROYAL RED CROSS (2nd class). (ts. AANS) which makes me doubt my conclusion above, unless the recorder omitted the first 'S'.

Further on:

Posted for duty to 1st A.G.H. (sts. initials B.E.)

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mike

Detached for duty with No.2 Command Depot Weymouth [this housed the Australian Imperial Forces (AIF), see http://weymouthanzacs.moonfruit.com/the-camps/4575540279 ]

AANS = Australian Army Nursing Service.

Awarded RRC

1st Australian General Hospital   http://throughtheselines.com.au/research/1-AGH (there is a list of names of staff down the page, you may strike lucky).

I'm stuck with your Sts / ts / sts B.E. though - but perhaps @royalredcross may know.

‘sts’ could possibly indicate that your nurse was a member of the Sea Transport Section, established to work on the Australian Troop Ships. Each unit had at least six AANS nurses on their staff and in-between voyages these nurses also helped out in Australian military hospitals.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum...

What's your nurses name?  Sometimes it helps to look at the whole record to put the abbreviations into context...

Cheers, Frev

Thanks KizmeRD,

I was following that line of reasoning at first too, but was unsure as I would have expected 'STS' if it was an acronym not 'Sts.' which looks like an abbreviation. Also, the use of 'ts.AANS' made me think I was not on the right track with Sea Transport Section unless the 'ts.' was a typo.

Thanks also Frev,

I have looked at the entire record and the handwritten records do not show the abbreviation in question. Only the person who created the typed version has used 'Sts.'. The nurses name is Bertha Mary Williams and her records are located at:

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/7886

Thanks both for your ideas,

Mike

‘Billie’ Williams from Brisbane, 36 years old in 1914 when she sailed away on HMAT (A5) OMRAH 24/9/14

photo below...

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/H18776

But sorry, ‘ts’ & ‘sts’ still has me stumped.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Thanks KizmeRD, I will look at the records of some other nurses to see if the mystery letters appear anywhere else and offer any clues.

Mike

On 06/05/2021 at 09:32, Mike Colless said:

I have looked at the entire record and the handwritten records do not show the abbreviation in question. Only the person who created the typed version has used 'Sts.'. The nurses name is Bertha Mary Williams and her records are located at:

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/7886

Hi Mike

I wondered why your ‘Sts’ (etc) abbreviations didn’t sound familiar – as I rarely look at the copies of the typed cards that occasionally appear in the service records.

I think you’ll be pushing to find anyone that knows what these clerical abbreviations refer to, but be sure to let us know if you do!

Just out of curiosity – is Bertha a relative?

I have an unfinished file on her as part of the “First Convoy Nurses” (Discovering Anzacs) that I was working on some time back (which I must get around to looking at again one of these days!).

Happy to pass it on if you’re interested.

Cheers, Frev

Thanks for the kind offer Frev.

At the school where I work we run a 'World War I Remembered Lives' research task that involves the kids composing a war service biography for an Australian WWI service person, using the original service records on the Discovering Anzacs website - many do a relative.

Bertha isn't a relative of mine, but we encourage the kids to research nurses and her name has come up. We probably have enough background information on her for the purposes of the task.

I have a keen interest in all this as I am the son of a WWI serviceman.

Cheers,

Mike

Glad so many schools are involved in these sorts of programs these days - a great way to learn...

Especially happy to hear you're encouraging them to research the nurses.

Keep up the good work!

I hope you've added your father's story to the Discovering Anzacs website (?)

Cheers, Frev

I have all the material together to tell his story Frev...but thanks for the timely reminder!

He was the face of the RAN in the AWM's 'Spirit of Anzac' exhibition that toured the country in 2016. A youthful looking 16 year old, as you can see from the pic below.

Cheers,

Mike

984131113_AC-SpiritofAnzac3.jpg.99da57931190afa3cdc34a598c32c09c.jpg

Wow, amazing entry into the war for him - on board the Sydney during the clash with the Emden - a fascinating part of our war history.

Let us know when you've put his story together (no pressure!! :whistle:)

Cheers, Frev