Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Hydra' at Craiglockhart.

seaJane

I came across this earlier and found it an intriguing read - the ins and outs of how GW material is found: https://johngarth.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/secrets-of-the-hydra-how-tolkien-research-uncovered-lost-wilfred-owen-magazines/

If you want to see facsimiles of the magazines (some edited by Wilfred Owen) then they can be found here: https://www.napier.ac.uk/about-us/our-location/our-campuses/special-collections/war-poets-collection/the-hydra. 

sJ

This thesis might be useful in interpreting the literary culture at Craiglockhart. There is also a section about Bonner which may be of interest to you.

file:///C:/Users/44789/Downloads/Schaupp2018%20(1).pdf

IR

3 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

This thesis might be useful in interpreting the literary culture at Craiglockhart. There is also a section about Bonner which may be of interest to you.

file:///C:/Users/44789/Downloads/Schaupp2018%20(1).pdf

IR

Thanks - I trawled that one up only yesterday! Unfortunately, once you have downloaded the pdf, the link you provide will only be live for your own system. I think this link will enable anyone who is interested to download the thesis themselves: https://era.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/31553.

Best wishes and thanks for your interest.

sJ

Thank you so much for this. Visited the old Craiglockhart back in 2016 and even though it's a proper university now, it was fascinating to see the place in person. The small, but moving historical display of Owen and Sassoon-related items was fascinating. 

Glad you like it!

Thanks from me too sJ. I've been interested in Sassoon's influence on Owen for ages, I've been wondering if Owen tried to become Sassoon. He always appears to be a directionless man prior to the Craiglockhart period and Sassoon would appear be a perfect role model. I'll try and have a scan though for any interesting insights.

Pete.

Very occasionally an original copy appears on the market. Sadly the last one I saw fetched over £1,000.

• 6 months later...

1675623887_Screenshot2021-11-23at17_11_00.png.4d110670ab3ad9dabcb4ff58b646e1f5.png

Scenes set in Craiglockhart, with Sassoon, Graves and Owen in a fictional story that binds them into a series of stories around the Doctors and Inmates of the institution. Well worth a read...

5 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I think it was that trilogy that first made me aware of Rivers and his work

I think it's an amazing piece of fiction, all be it stitched together using real people. Can't imagine what the body of research went into that tale...