Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion Rifle Brigade

I have a rifle man went out to France 20-05-15,the war diary starts after that,do any GWF,know where he sailed from,on board which ship please,where they landed

:poppy:

Polar Bear

If he was with the rest of his battalion then he left from Folkestone and landed in Boulogne that month. Can't help with the ship. Sorry.

P

michaelpi

If they travelled  with 7th Battalion,  41st Brigade,  14th Division,.......SS Queen.

stiletto_33853

Half the 8th RB left Aldershot on train  X.234, 15 Officers & 450 men at 7.40 pm arriving in Folkestone 11.00 pm, the other half of the 8th RB, 12 officers & 438 men left Aldershot on Train X.235 at 8.00 pm, arriving in Folkestone at 11.30 pm. Both halves were on the S.S Queen.

The 8th RB Transport, 8 officers and 108 OR left Aldershot on train X.221 at 8.55 am and arrived Southampton at Noon.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Thank you Andy,he was in C Company ,8th battalion,so he left from  Southampton  presume Havre ?

Biffo

stiletto_33853

Biffo,

The 14th Division Details route was Southampton - Havre, you can trace their arrivals and departures from Havre (see attached)

The battalion as a whole used the Folkestone - Boulogne route which you can also trace (see attached), before they left Aldershot they were in tents at Bottoms End.

Is this concerning the gentleman you messaged me about the other day, for which I have not chased through yet, to see what I have on him. The Division as a whole was supposed to leave a week before they actually did, however it was postponed.

Andy 

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 21.27.14.png

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 21.27.38.png

Edited by stiletto_33853
stiletto_33853

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 21.31.48.png

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 21.44.34.png