Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Find a soldiers details

Stan123

Hello.  I have a relative listed on Barking Park War Memorial. Where would the soldiers actual details be kept. 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. His name would  be a great help for starters. 

Michelle 

Can you give his name and any other info you have on him.

His name is Joseph Howe and I have him on census etc but don’t know his war record. I wondered if the actual details of those listed on a memorial are kept somewhere.  I’ve checked out the Vounvil and Imperial War Museum but couldn’t find what I wanted.  There was a lot of namesakes.  

• Admin

Unfortunately, who went on a war memorial was quite arbitrary. I was only looking at a brass plaque in a church today but the man wasn't on the village war memorial outside the church. Is the year of death on the war memorial? That would at least help you to narrow things down! 

Parish records might help, or local newspapers? 

Unfortunately as you may know, many soldiers records were damaged when the Record Office was bombed in the 1939-45 conflict, Quite a lot survived and are know as Burnt Records.  If you are lucky you might turn one of these up, using your local library who should have free access to Ancestry and Find My Past.

Good luck with your search.

Is his name on a memorial for 'those who fought or those who died?

What was his age and occupation on Census?

Hi,

Barking, Essex? Barking Park War Memorial lists those who died. Also Tyne Cot Memorial Panels 85/86

???Joseph Henry Howe b.1885 d 26.10.1917, 29093, 2nd Border Regt, formerly 58665 Royal Fusiliers. Was an Assistant Chemist lived 201 Thorold Road, Ilford, Essex.

Widow Gertrude B Howe (Nee Bush)

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

I think it is. I have him down in the 1911 census but have not been really sure, yet.  I have to look further. I find myself always looking for confirmations, if you know what I mean.  Thanks. 

Stan,

You should always get your family tree sorted 100% watertight first, before fitting in military details.

As you have probably found, there are several Joseph Howe candidates.

You say he is a relative, so it will be easy for you to work out your tree and establish who his nearest relatives were.

These will be the fixed facts around which you fit the military detail.

Otherwise you run the risk of guessing the wrong man, and creating a false history around him.

Stan. Sit down and list the things you know for sure about him and post the results. You have drip fed info so far and this makes it harder for members to try and help you. There is nothing worse than spending time and posting info . then to be told' I already know that'

Stan123,

As already suggested above, just list the details of the relatives you do know are correct and then it is relatively easy to fill in the gaps.

What relationship to you was Joseph Howe? 

Regards Barry