Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

28052 LANCE CORPORAL PERCY WILLIAM YATES ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE REGIMENT KIA 23 MAY 1918

Blue Dragoon

Doing some research on 28052 LCpl Percy William Yates.  Medal Index Roll entry has him in 2/7th Bn RWR and CWGC Citation has him 14th Bn RWR

Date of Death 23 May 1918.

Assume joined RWR Depot then 2/7th then to 14th Bn?  

Before I dive into War Diaries any service pointers for Percy appreciated

Many thanks

George

Probably overseas with the 2/7th Bn 21st May 1916, disbanded February 1918 and posted to 14th Bn. KiA 24th May 1918, I have the battalion history, I’ll have a look later.

14th Bn confirmed with SDGW and SE register.

cheers Jay. 

Edited by Blue Dragoon

LLT has 2/8th being disbanded in Feb 18 not 2/7th?  I wonder when he transferred from 2/7th to 14th Bn?

That is of course correct and the mistake is mine, the 2/7th Bn were not disbanded. The transfer to the 14th Bn could have taken place at any time once he was overseas but must have been before the 14th Bn left for Italy or once they returned, the latter may appear to be the most likely. It may be worth checking both diaries for drafts and transfers, the 14th Bn WD shows a small number of reinforcments arriving on 23rd April 1918 (13 - 11 having being with the battalion before) and 26th April (4) - the battalion having left Italy earlier in the month. Sadly the month of May 1918 is omitted from the history but Percy does appear in the list of casualties for the 14th Bn. The war diary gives their location as Nieppe Forrest and on the 23rd May the diary notes 8 casualties and on 24th the battalion was relieved in the front line by 1st RWK, during this time 20 casualties are noted due to mustard gas shelling which was taking place. Percy's War Gratuity payment would suggest an enlistment on or shortly after 24th February 1916.

He appears at the end of a long list of RWR wounded in a War Office list dated 6/12/17. Unfortunately no battalion. Looking at the other men in the list there are some few 2/7th but I have found at least one 14th and a few 10th. So nothing conclusive I am afraid. 

We know 14th was in 5th Division which moved to Italy in late Nov 1917 and returned to France at the start of April 1918. So any wounding was probably in France. One could come up with theories but extra info required. 

Edited by Mark1959